ANNOUNCEMENT : ROYAL MAIL EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : CHRISTMAS & NEW YEAR ARRANGEMENTS 2017/18 INCLUDING PAY ARRANGEMENTS... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : SEVERE WEATHER THREADS : UPDATED 2017... HERE

Driver criticises Royal Mail van for way it avoids flashing ambulance - but what would you have done?

30 Nov 2017, 15:39

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/dr ... n-11613410

Royal Mail has backed its driver saying it was "quite clear that the postman driving took an emergency measure"

A mum has criticised a Royal Mail driver after she filmed a delivery van swerving past an oncoming flashing ambulance and driving down the pavement.

Caroline Mullineaux filmed the van on dashcam as it makes way for the emergency vehicle by mounting the empty kerb but not stopping.

Royal Mail has backed its driver saying it was "quite clear that the postman driving took an emergency measure to mount the pavement to allow an ambulance to pass for a matter of seconds".

But insurance claims handler Caroline believes the Royal Mail driver was in the wrong.

The Highway Code's rule 219 says drivers should "look and listen" for emergency vehicles but "not panic as one approaches".

"Consider the route of such a vehicle and take appropriate action to let it pass, while complying with all traffic signs.

"If necessary, pull to the side of the road and stop, but try to avoid stopping before the brow of a hill, a bend or narrow section of road.

"Do not endanger yourself, other road users or pedestrians and avoid mounting the kerb."

Caroline, 41, and her husband Brett have previously shared footage of fellow drivers who they claim are acting dangerously behind the wheel.

Biker Brett, 44, has previously spotted a man eating a bacon butty with two hands while driving down the M62 and also recorded a van driver "playing Candy Crush" while behind the wheel.

In the latest incident, the couple were on a shopping trip in Whitefield, Greater Manchester, when Caroline spotted the Royal Mail van driving in front.

"I was just dumbfounded," she said. "The whole thing was just reckless and inconsiderate.

"I can't believe he didn't wait for thirty seconds and he's just done something as reckless as that.

"I know it's Christmas and that Royal Mail have to play Santa Claus, but they shouldn't be trying to play the Grim Reaper at the same time - there's a primary school on that road.

"We all have to help the emergency services and I couldn't believe somebody would do that."

A Royal Mail spokeswoman said: "We have reviewed this video and it is quite clear that the postman driving took an emergency measure to mount the pavement to allow an ambulance to pass for a matter of seconds, given the HGVs parked with hazards flashing on the other side the road.

"There was no one on the pavement at the time and the driver took the correct action to allow an emergency vehicle to pass."

Driver criticises Royal Mail van for way it avoids flashing ambulance - but what would you have done?

30 Nov 2017, 15:56

Given that I don't have a driving licence probably I shouldn't comment but why wouldn't he just have stopped?
Mount the kerb to allow the ambulance to pass, but why carry on moving?

30 Nov 2017, 16:07

Nothing wrong in what he/she did; done it myself in van and car numerous times. Insurance claims handler, obviously not one of the more clever Ambulance chasers, 'cause she was going the wrong way. :nana

30 Nov 2017, 16:24

The car also mounts the pavement and fails to stop !! . but thats ok then...

30 Nov 2017, 16:49

:shock: What no comments that RM backed their driver

30 Nov 2017, 17:48

From that picture I don,t know how any one can make a decision whether he was in the wrong or the right. You cannot see where he has come from or what his view might have been prior to the picture taken. There is no indication on whether he was able to hear the oncoming ambulance and we all know from experience that many times you haven't got any idea what direction the emergency vehicle is coming from by sound alone.. You have no idea what speed he was doing and how he approached manouvering his vehicle on to the pavement. There is no way that Royal Mail could make any other decision than what they have unless there were other witnesses, video evidence.

30 Nov 2017, 17:54

Now I shall word this carefully, but the driver who is filming the RM driver in the youtube video appears to do nearly exactly the same thing.

If you watch and perhaps replay the video at 8 secs in their Car appears to go up on the passenger side (mounting the pavement ?) and they continue to move forward albeit at a reduced speed.

30 Nov 2017, 18:24

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:Now I shall word this carefully, but the driver who is filming the RM driver in the youtube video appears to do nearly exactly the same thing.

If you watch and perhaps replay the video at 8 secs in their Car appears to go up on the passenger side (mounting the pavement ?) and they continue to move forward albeit at a reduced speed.

If you carry on they also continue to drive along that path as a vehicle following the ambulance is passing the parked lorry. Once this has passed they then rejoin the road.

01 Dec 2017, 11:35

I agree she was on path as well

01 Dec 2017, 15:45

He got out of the way.... that's the main thing. :thumbup How many times during your day do you see some stupid driver either not pulling over, or stopping in a stupid place? :arrrghhh

I pulled over for an Ambulance the other day (coming towards me) and the stupid old bastard in front of the Ambulance stopped right opposite me! :shock: I had to quickly knock it into gear and reverse back up so the Ambulance could get through. :cuppa

01 Dec 2017, 18:56

As previously mentioned,camera car does the same move on to the kerb. When you read the whole article with her pointing out all rules and regs etc, you the get to the best bit. An insurance claims handler! Her job is to apportion blame to people, so there you have it. You can all do as I say but I can do as I want!!! Hypocrisy at its finest.

01 Dec 2017, 21:12

Unfortunately you're also not allowed in law to go past red lights especially with a camera in order to allow emergency vehicles to go past, you will still get points and tickets as you're not exempt from the highway laws.

05 Dec 2017, 07:53

Some people must have really sad empty lives if they even think that something like this needs bringing to peoples attention!!

05 Dec 2017, 14:39

More people worried about what other people are doing. She ought to get a effing life.

05 Dec 2017, 20:30

TrueBlueTerrier wrote::shock: What no comments that RM backed their driver

Backed me in the latest incident when someone hit me and blamed me. Of course it's Christmas so a sceptic might think it's because they don't want a driver off. :hmmmm

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 2   1, 2