Hero postman stops house from burning down

18 May 2017, 13:35 ... story.html

A hero postman stopped a house from burning down whilst on his postal round this morning (Wednesday).

The alarm was raised to fires services by a concerned postal worker who saw smoke coming from a property on Colwill Road in Estover where they were delivering post.

Three fire engines from the Plymouth area were mobilised at 12.16pm and on arrival confirmed that there was a fire in a ground floor flat.

Initially, fire crews were unsure if there was anyone inside the property – so two firefighters forced entry wearing breathing apparatus. Crews also used one hose reel jet to dampen the flames.

Thankfully there was no one in the property who needed rescuing.

It was discovered that food had been left cooking on an electric hob whilst the occupant had gone out.

There was minor smoke damage to most of the property and moderate smoke damage to the kitchen area where the fire was.

The occupant came back to the property whilst the fire crews were still on scene. The duty of care was handed over to them.

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1