ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

"We're going to miss him," Poets' community says "goodbye" to much-loved postman

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

"We're going to miss him," Poets' community says "goodbye" to much-loved postman

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

https://www.bedfordindependent.co.uk/we ... d-postman/

It was the perfect way to end his final round, with Poets’ residents coming out today (Tuesday) to say “thank you and goodbye” to Graham McFiggins who has been their postman for 30 years.

In 1984, when he was just 26, Graham started work as a postman and began his round in the Poets area 10 years later.

In that time, he’s walked an estimated 124,800 miles, the equivalent of five times around the world, delivering letters and getting to know the people living and working along the route who have become an extended family.

Today, the day before his 66th birthday he posted his final letter.

“I’m gonna miss all these people. I’ve known them for so long. I’ve seen bubbies being born, I’ve seen those bubbies grow up and have bubbies of their own,” he told the Bedford Independent.

Sidney Road residents, Sonia Dee and Chris Dee, organised and raised a staggering £1555 collection amongst their Poets neighbours as a thank you for all he has done for the community.

“Graham has been a fantastic postman and is a genuine, kind person who has helped us on many occasions. For example, I’ve got a crutch and he’ll help me carry my bags inside.

“He deserves the recognition and to know how much he has been appreciated all these years. We’re going to miss him,” said Sonia.

The cash and many other gifts were handed to Graham at an event organised by Cllr Colleen Atkins (Labour), who also lives in Poets, at the Verve Hotel on Shakespeare Road, where his round ends.

Graham was overwhelmed as he was hugged and thanked by the gathered crowd of almost 100 people, who also handed him more retirement and birthday gifts.

Fighting back tears he said, “Well, I don’t know what to say that. This is incredible, the people are incredible. When it’s hot, I’ve been given cold drinks when it’s cold, I get hot drinks. I’ve always been looked after. I’m gonna miss these people.”

Colleen added, “I have lived in the Poets area for over 40 years and Graham has delivered my letters for 30 of them.

“He’s a friend to everyone, keeps an eye on the area and notices when things aren’t quite right. He will be greatly missed but it helps knowing he’s now going to have a well-earned rest.”

Along with Poets’ residents, Graham’s family also came along to his farewell event, including his dad Mac, his partner Louise, his daughter Lisa, and her two children Amalie (seven) and Leila (five), and Graham’s other daughter Joanne, with one-year-old son Toby.

Asked what he’s going to do next, Graham says he’s going to be putting his feet up on a short break with his family and then settling into retirement with his hobbies of gardening, fishing and watching his favourite football team Tottenham Hotspur.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."