ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Patcham: The 'quiet' Brighton village that fears it could be lost to Royal Mail development

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Patcham: The 'quiet' Brighton village that fears it could be lost to Royal Mail development

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

https://www.sussexlive.co.uk/news/susse ... et-7451091

Archaeological finds have been made in Patcham that date back to Saxon times

A quiet and idyllic village life is not something you would typically think to find in Brighton and Hove - a city favoured by students and famed for its energy and Pride parties. Against all expectations though, the village of Patcham at the city’s northern boundary close to the A27 and A23 can provide just that.

Patcham has a population of roughly 14,000 - just five per cent of the city it is connected to - and claims its own high street, recreation ground, and Norman church. The area also has a history dating back to the 1100s, has had Saxon archaeological discoveries, and boasts the 16th-century mansion of Patcham Place.

Recently however, residents and campaigners have said they fear the lifestyle they know could be lost to increased traffic and environmental repercussions from a planned new Royal Mail site. They also worry for the character of the village which includes a conservation area and sits above Brighton’s lost river - the underground Wellesbourne which flows from the South Downs to the sea.

All Saints church at the top of Church Hill by Vale Avenue has received a recent renovation to its facade while inside a 13th-century Last Judgement or Doom painting sits proudly above an archway. Across from the church is the historic village barn now converted as a home for residents.

Flint stone walls line the street and rows of cottages lead the way to the village centre where local favourite The Secrest Garden cafe and tea room sits a short way along from a garage and a Co-op. Across London Road Patcham Place overlooks the recreation ground while Patcham Peace Garden lines the road into the centre.

Patcham enjoys easy access to the South Downs as well as Brighton itself. It also has offers a secluded atmosphere to all who visit despite being just moments from a slip road for the A27 where it meets the A23.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."