ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Video : Royal Mail says sorry after shocking doorbell footage captures postman appearing to kick family's dog

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR

Video : Royal Mail says sorry after shocking doorbell footage captures postman appearing to kick family's dog

Post by POSTMAN »

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/news/st ... er-7081807

Video from a doorbell camera has captured a postie appearing to kick a family's dog across a drive. Footage from the woman's Ring video doorbell shows a member of Royal Mail staff at the door sometime last month.

The woman's teenage daughter answered the door. The postman can then be heard muttering a few words before passing the parcel to the girl.

Shortly afterwards, the family's dog can then be seen running towards the open door, barking. The postman then appears to kick the dog which can be seen tumbling across the driveway, reports the Manchester Evening News.

It is understood the postman told his employers the dog nipped him when they spoke with him internally about the incident. He is believed to have told them his reaction was a reflex action.

In a letter sent to the family the Royal Mail has apologised for the upset caused. However they pointed out that 33 of their delivery workers are injured by dogs every week.

The girl's mother said apart from distressing her daughter the incident had left the dog wetting itself every time the doorbell rings. She said: "My dog is terrified of going to the door and when the doorbell goes, he wets himself and is visibly shaking.

"My daughter answered the door for the delivery. I was outside hanging washing up and she ran in and told me what had happened. My daughter was very upset. She was crying her eyes out and she's not an emotional kid."

The mum said she made a formal complaint to Royal Mail.

The letter she was sent reads: "We wish to again express our regret and offer our apologies once more for the upset, especially to your young daughter. Royal Mail staff are family people, with cats, dogs and other pets and we fully appreciate what a huge part of a home they are.

"That said, 33 Royal Mail staff are attacked by dogs every week and a lot of our colleagues have seen small nips, through to life-changing injuries on friends at work.

"We work closely with our health and safety team to ensure our staff are fully aware of the dangers of loose animals. We employ an absolute AVOID policy, whereby mail is returned to the office for a safe attempt delivery should any loose animals or pets be looking to what they see as defending their family, or space."
I Wrote
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.

POSTPERSON50

Re: Video : Royal Mail says sorry after shocking doorbell footage captures postman appearing to kick family's dog

Post by POSTPERSON50 »

POSTMAN wrote:
14 May 2022, 21:18
https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/news/st ... er-7081807

Video from a doorbell camera has captured a postie appearing to kick a family's dog across a drive. Footage from the woman's Ring video doorbell shows a member of Royal Mail staff at the door sometime last month.

The woman's teenage daughter answered the door. The postman can then be heard muttering a few words before passing the parcel to the girl.

Shortly afterwards, the family's dog can then be seen running towards the open door, barking. The postman then appears to kick the dog which can be seen tumbling across the driveway, reports the Manchester Evening News.

It is understood the postman told his employers the dog nipped him when they spoke with him internally about the incident. He is believed to have told them his reaction was a reflex action.

In a letter sent to the family the Royal Mail has apologised for the upset caused. However they pointed out that 33 of their delivery workers are injured by dogs every week.

The girl's mother said apart from distressing her daughter the incident had left the dog wetting itself every time the doorbell rings. She said: "My dog is terrified of going to the door and when the doorbell goes, he wets himself and is visibly shaking.

"My daughter answered the door for the delivery. I was outside hanging washing up and she ran in and told me what had happened. My daughter was very upset. She was crying her eyes out and she's not an emotional kid."

The mum said she made a formal complaint to Royal Mail.

The letter she was sent reads: "We wish to again express our regret and offer our apologies once more for the upset, especially to your young daughter. Royal Mail staff are family people, with cats, dogs and other pets and we fully appreciate what a huge part of a home they are.

"That said, 33 Royal Mail staff are attacked by dogs every week and a lot of our colleagues have seen small nips, through to life-changing injuries on friends at work.

"We work closely with our health and safety team to ensure our staff are fully aware of the dangers of loose animals. We employ an absolute AVOID policy, whereby mail is returned to the office for a safe attempt delivery should any loose animals or pets be looking to what they see as defending their family, or space."
I have been bitten by dogs 3 times during the last 25 years.
The first dog appeared out of nowhere and bit my leg at the top of my foot, I panicked and kicked out instinctively. The dog skidded across the garden ran back and bit me again on the calf before the owner interveined. It was a horrible experience, pretty scary in truth. I had 2 sets of stitches and a tetanus jab. I was always more wary of dogs after that.

I'm not excusing the kicking of that dog in the video, it doesn't look good. I can't see if the postie squarely kicked that dog or if he swished it away as it growled and ran towards him.
POSTPERSON50

Re: Video : Royal Mail says sorry after shocking doorbell footage captures postman appearing to kick family's dog

Post by POSTPERSON50 »

The girl's mother said apart from distressing her daughter the incident had left the dog wetting itself every time the doorbell rings. She said: "My dog is terrified of going to the door and when the doorbell goes, he wets himself and is visibly shaking."

I mean, come on really.
Superdude

Post by Superdude »

I remember how upset the young girl was when she let the family German Shepherd squeeze between her legs & the front door to run out & rip a big hole in my arm. I hope she & the dog are okay now.
Nice of Royal Mail to 100% back the postie. Your can tell the dog’s come steaming out of the house, barking & going for him. What’s he supposed to do? Laugh it off while having his legs bit!?
Keep your f***ing dogs behind a closed door.
POSTPERSON50

Post by POSTPERSON50 »

Superdude wrote:
15 May 2022, 12:34
I remember how upset the young girl was when she let the family German Shepherd squeeze between her legs & the front door to run out & rip a big hole in my arm. I hope she & the dog are okay now.
Nice of Royal Mail to 100% back the postie. Your can tell the dog’s come steaming out of the house, barking & going for him. What’s he supposed to do? Laugh it off while having his legs bit!?
Keep your f***ing dogs behind a closed door.
It's a PC society. You don't see video doorbells in the media showing posties getting savaged
Woody Guthrie

Post by Woody Guthrie »

It's a PC society
What the hell is kicking a dog got to do with "a PC society"?

Whether it was justified or not (I'm not judging) anybody is going to be pissed off if you kick their dog, they will complain and usually run to the local press if they're not happy with the response from RM.

It's not a new thing, these kind of complaints have been happening for the 30+ years I've been in the job and probably long before that. It's got nothing to do with changes in society, people love their dogs and don't believe they can do anything wrong, that's always been the case.
Only dead fish follow the current
TOWER1

Post by TOWER1 »

Disgraceful.
Course he will claim he bitten or attacked.
How some people let us down
I'll say no more but I hope his colleagues in his DO shun him...
Big man. :thumbdown
Numberone63
EX ROYAL MAIL

Re: Greater Manchester Post man kicks fog

Post by Numberone63 »

Ahhhh. Yeah. You always get bad weather in Manchester. Not had much fog down her in a while.
richietns

Post by richietns »

The postman was well within his rights to kick the dog it was out of control we dont go to work to be chased and bitten by dogs .
Jonnydelta

Re: Greater Manchester Post man kicks dog

Post by Jonnydelta »

Maybe you should know the facts before making such judgement, We have all had a run in with a vicious fog at some point
Schiff

Post by Schiff »

If it had been my dog then I would have kicked the s**t out of that postman. Tosser!
TOWER1

Post by TOWER1 »

Dog. Apologies for typo.

There are ways to avoid kicking a small dog.
I deliver to a number of places in a inner city environment with dogs who are shall we say by their nature are vicious as well as their owners.

I have been threatened by dogs but you don't need to kick out.

I have no sympathy for this fella.

He needs to man up.

I'll say no more
Woody Guthrie

Post by Woody Guthrie »

richietns wrote:
15 May 2022, 17:48
The postman was well within his rights to kick the dog it was out of control we dont go to work to be chased and bitten by dogs .
Possibly, possibly not.
It's never that clear with the law and we wouldn't want any members thinking they had a free hit at any dog that came running towards them would we?

The three basic principles are..
It has to be a clear and imminent threat.
There is no other way you can remove the yourself or the threat from the situation.
The amount of force used has to be proportionate to the threat.
Only dead fish follow the current
qwerty2

Post by qwerty2 »

Little dogs are the worst
Vicious psychos!!
panzer4
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by panzer4 »

As a former postie who has been attacked and bitten by a dog so badly I needed hospital treatment I can understand his reaction I still carry the scars so don’t condemn until you know the circumstances .
Why is RM apologising to a customer who’s dog attacked an employee and the employee defended himself
Yet again this response from RM shows how little they value the staff
Last edited by panzer4 on 16 May 2022, 12:53, edited 1 time in total.