ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Are postmen on strike? Will my post be affected by Post Office strike tomorrow?

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Are postmen on strike? Will my post be affected by Post Office strike tomorrow?

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/16042 ... -today-evg

POST OFFICE workers will walk out on May 3 in a row over freezing pay, leaving more 100 counters closed. But will your post be delivered and is your area affected?

Royal Mail workers will stage a protest this week against a "degrading" real-terms pay cut. Chiefs offered to break a year-long wage freeze with a two percent pay rise in April and a £250 one-off lump sum. With inflation hitting seven percent, Communication Workers Union (CWU) representatives have branded the offer as a real-term pay cut and plan to stage a strike in protest on May 3.

Royal Mail workers will stage a protest this week against a "degrading" real-terms pay cut. Chiefs offered to break a year-long wage freeze with a two percent pay rise in April and a £250 one-off lump sum. With inflation hitting seven percent, Communication Workers Union (CWU) representatives have branded the offer as a real-term pay cut and plan to stage a strike in protest on May 3.

Which areas will post office strikes affect?

Post office staff with the CWU will hold a single-day strike on Tuesday, May 3, approved by 97.3 percent of the union's Post Office members.

Approximately 2,000 members will join the strikes, the CWU estimates after assistant secretary Andy Furey called Royal Mail's offer “an insult”.

Mr Farey added that responsibility for the first national strike for "a number of years" lies "100 percent" with Post Office senior management.

He added: “They have told us that they’re freezing pay in keeping with official government and public-sector pay policy.

"But that’s an outrageous and dishonest excuse as the Government’s austerity measures do not apply to the Post Office.”

Tomorrow's action will seek to force the organisation to support workers as they face a cost of living crunch.

The CWU has claimed the action will disrupt all cash collections and deliveries at 114 Crown Post Offices.

Crown Post Offices are the Royal Mail's larger branches people can find on UK high streets.

They are managed solely by Post Office Limited, which is under primarily Government control, while independent businesses operate the remaining locations.

A Post Office spokesman has said the action won't disrupt services much across the UK.

They said they wanted to assure customers that the "vast majority" of the Royal Mail's 11,500 branches.

Branches would "remain open throughout the day", the spokesman added.

The limited May 3 action could follow more, with the Post Office reportedly considering controversial changes to staff schedules.

The Royal Mail has said it would like to compete with other delivery services such as the DPD and Amazon, which deliver on Sundays.

In return, it has proposed giving employees who volunteer for the weekend runs the previously proposed two percent pay rise, an additional 1.5 percent after the changes take effect, and a two percent "above-and-beyond" bonus.

The CWU has responded by calling for a "no strings" deal to increase salaries with inflation.

Deputy general secretary Terry Pullinger said that, without an agreement, it would pursue a "four-week" union resolution process "at a national level".

He said: "We are giving them one week, and if we’re not in sight of a no-strings pay award we’ll instigate the four-week resolution process at a national level.

"They want to smash up this great public service and fill their pockets with gold. We have to fight with everything we’ve got."
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."

oypostie

Re: Are postmen on strike? Will my post be affected by Post Office strike tomorrow?

Post by oypostie »

Good to see that the Express has no idea that the Post Office and Royal Mail went their separate ways years ago :arrrghhh :arrrghhh
qwerty2

Re: Are postmen on strike? Will my post be affected by Post Office strike tomorrow?

Post by qwerty2 »

Vast majority of people haven’t got a clue either :evil/mad