ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Postal workers threaten to strike after Royal Mail tried to make them work on Sundays in a bid to compete with rivals such as Amazon and DPD

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Postal workers threaten to strike after Royal Mail tried to make them work on Sundays in a bid to compete with rivals such as Amazon and DPD

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... mazon.html

Postal workers threatening to strike over plans to make them work on Sundays
Royal Mail wants to boost weekend deliveries to compete with rivals like Amazon
They now face a backlash from bosses at the Communication Workers Union

Postal workers are threatening to strike after Royal Mail tried to force them to work on Sundays.

The 500-year-old company wants to ramp up weekend deliveries to compete with rivals such as Amazon and DPD.

But it now faces a backlash from bosses at the Communication Workers Union (CWU), who filed an emergency motion at their annual conference last week warning that unless pay demands are met there could be a walkout of more than 115,000 staff as early as next month.

At the moment, posties can volunteer to deliver parcels on Sundays – typically online purchases from large retailers. However, Royal Mail wants to modernise the service by expanding it to include deliveries for small businesses and shoppers.

In return the firm is offering staff a two per cent pay rise backdated to April 1, and a further 1.5 per cent from the date when the changes are implemented. It is also offering a new ‘above-and-beyond’ bonus, worth up to two per cent, for staff who hit productivity targets.

However, the CWU wants a ‘no-strings’ deal in line with inflation – which is currently seven per cent.

Deputy general secretary Terry Pullinger said: ‘We know what our members have done through the pandemic, we know they deserve a pay rise – one that rewards them for what they’ve done, but also protects them from this cost-of-living crisis.

‘We are giving them one week, and if we’re not in sight of a no-strings pay award we’ll instigate the four-week resolution process at national level.

‘They want to smash up this great public service and fill their pockets with gold. We have to fight with everything we’ve got.’

Royal Mail chief executive Simon Thompson will hold talks with the CWU this week in a bid to avoid industrial action.

The cost-of-living crisis, with soaring prices for energy, food and fuel, is expected to cut consumer spending on online purchases, which could hit parcel volumes. Royal Mail is also battling rising costs, such as fuel for its huge fleet of vehicles, and bosses have been considering sending more post between its sites by rail, which would also cut carbon emissions.

It is required by law to deliver letters six days a week from Monday to Saturday, and parcels from Monday to Friday, to every address in the UK at a uniform price.

Royal Mail said: ‘We have been clear that we want to agree a deal as soon as possible to recognise the great work of our people, while ensuring that Royal Mail can grow and remain competitive into the future in a fast-changing industry.’

Royal Mail piloted Sunday deliveries in 2014 but decided against introducing the service permanently. It then began Sunday deliveries again in March 2021 on a voluntary basis.

It began a major review of its operations in February following a car-crash Christmas. Deliveries were seriously delayed across the UK, with some Christmas cards not arriving until mid-January.

Post Office workers are due to stage a one-day strike on Tuesday in a separate CWU dispute over pay.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."

TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Re: Postal workers threaten to strike after Royal Mail tried to make them work on Sundays in a bid to compete with rivals such as Amazon and DPD

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

2 comments from me.

No mention of the supplements or allowances. But then calling them Union Bosses, instead of Union Leaders shows their bias.

Also 1 particular gem is a comment poster suggesting we get fully privatised :arrrghhh :arrrghhh
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."
Woody Guthrie

Re: Postal workers threaten to strike after Royal Mail tried to make them work on Sundays in a bid to compete with rivals such as Amazon and DPD

Post by Woody Guthrie »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
01 May 2022, 10:17
2 comments from me.

No mention of the supplements or allowances. But then calling them Union Bosses, instead of Union Leaders shows their bias.

Also 1 particular gem is a comment poster suggesting we get fully privatised :arrrghhh :arrrghhh
I'm surprised they're not blaming Prince Harry, "wokeness" and illegal immigrants.
Only dead fish follow the current
jessicarabbit

Post by jessicarabbit »

Simon did predict 1 bias press report and 1 balanced!

Wonder which he thinks is the balanced one???
Shirtbuttons
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by Shirtbuttons »

Never felt so under valued in all the years I’ve been here. If it wasn’t for the foot soldiers these big bosses wouldn’t have a company to run. All I witness is very hard working people working their socks off to get their ever increasing workload completed. A colleague recently got her 20 years service reward, what an insult that is. Is this all we are worth? I hear the managers are in for a very good wage increase and bonus due to their hard work and getting the Mail out. Laughable!
We are losing long serving full time staff on a scale of 3 a month at my office. Surely this must ring alarm bells up top or is this all going unnoticed because we are just a small cog on a big wheel? We are on delivery spans of 5 hours and expected to take lapsing of 90 minutes plus which is totally unachievable even if we was Olympic athletes.
I’ve never been in favour of strike action but people are exhausted and the sick levels are rocketing in my area. I hear some offices are running fine but that’s only hearsay. I think we are on a race to the bottom. Sad times in once a great job with great customer service.
Sir Henry

Post by Sir Henry »

They don't care if they f**k the service, they'll be off with a golden hand-job to screw the next business in the name of bonuses and shareholder greed.

f**k the whores.
"A third of the world's farmland is now useless due to soil degradation, yet we still keep producing mouths to feed. And what's you answer to that? Energy saving lightbulbs?"
guardianangel

Post by guardianangel »

Working Sundays is not modernising its profiteering ,making more money for shareholders while pounding the employees into the ground ,we have seen it in a lot of sectors while the employee receives nothing and owners fill their pockets,quicker we strike the better.
ted_e_bear

Post by ted_e_bear »

Sunday's isnt the main issue though they've picked it to report because it's an easy target for something they think will make us look maybe a bit petty over, lots of newer starters have it in their contracts and there's plenty of volunteers round our way that work them.

No the issue is the s**t pay rise, plus the dubious strings attached to make it slightly better, for example who knows what the performance based string will be ? probably doing two duties in the time it took to do one.

Like many others on here I'm extremely disappointed, let down and actually disgusted after what we've gone through since covid appeared, starting with the horrendous parcel workload, and ending with the revision fuk up, closely followed by the Christmas no extra vans or staff complete s**t show.