ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

HELEN HAYES - PRIVATISATION HAS RUINED ROYAL MAIL

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

HELEN HAYES - PRIVATISATION HAS RUINED ROYAL MAIL

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

https://www.southwarknews.co.uk/comment ... oyal-mail/

'I pay tribute to our hard-working posties, but it is clear that shutting down delivery offices and flogging them to the highest bidder has left Royal Mail with no resilience and the result has been a disaster'

Eight years ago, the Tory Lib-Dem coalition government privatised Royal Mail, dismissing extensive evidence that this would result in worse services for Royal Mail customers.

The privatisation of Royal Mail was a disaster for staff and customers alike from the very start, and things have continued to deteriorate.

In 2018 Royal Mail announced the planned closure of its delivery offices in East Dulwich and West Norwood. This would have meant West Norwood residents having to travel to Penge and East Dulwich residents to Peckham to collect undelivered parcels, oversized letters or Recorded Delivery post.

Local Labour councillors worked with me to lead the campaign on behalf of local residents and businesses against these ill-considered and damaging plans.

Although we were successful in forcing Royal Mail to backdown in West Norwood, they pressed ahead with the plans for East Dulwich and closed the Silvester Road sorting office shortly before Christmas in 2018.

The East Dulwich sorting office was sold for £7m as part of a deeply damaging asset stripping agenda at Royal Mail which puts profit before the needs of residents and businesses.

At the time I led a debate in Parliament regarding the proposed changes. I raised the specific concerns of local residents and it was encouraging to see MPs from across the country speaking in opposition to the changes. Sadly, we are not the only area suffering poor levels of service from Royal Mail.

Together with local Labour councillors I warned that the Peckham delivery office was too small for the volume of post for both the East Dulwich and Peckham areas and that the increasing volume of parcels would only make this worse over time.

We also warned that Peckham was too far away from the southern end of East Dulwich.

Covid-19 has undoubtedly brought challenges for Royal Mail, and I pay tribute to our hard-working posties, who have continued to work hard throughout the pandemic. But it is clear that shutting down delivery offices and flogging them to the highest bidder has left Royal Mail with no resilience and the result has been a disaster for the reliability of postal deliveries in our area.

This Christmas, Royal Mail also failed to employ sufficient additional temporary staff to cover the busiest time of year, putting even more pressure on our hard-working posties and resulting in disappointment and distress for many people eagerly awaiting cards and gifts from loved ones.

In recent weeks, we have seen problems not only with postal delivery in East Dulwich, but also across many other parts of my constituency, including Herne Hill, Crystal Palace and Sydenham Hill.

Together with your local Labour councillors I’m demanding that the government take action to make sure that Royal Mail is delivering the services that they are obliged to do.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."

derekm

Re: HELEN HAYES - PRIVATISATION HAS RUINED ROYAL MAIL

Post by derekm »

Sorry to tell you this but when something is privatised all that matters is the shareholders dividend and share price
WalkerX

Re: HELEN HAYES - PRIVATISATION HAS RUINED ROYAL MAIL

Post by WalkerX »

derekm wrote:
20 Jan 2022, 16:38
Sorry to tell you this but when something is privatised all that matters is the shareholders dividend and share price
and there we have it.
Also, can you see any other businesses lining up to take over delivering all the crap that we have to deliver?