ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Truro cyclist thought he might die when van drove into him and sped off

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Truro cyclist thought he might die when van drove into him and sped off

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornw ... ie-6469744

A cyclist struck by a hit-and-run van driver has said he feels lucky to be alive - and appealed for witnesses to catch the person who hit him.

Truro postman John Spear was riding his push bike home from work down just after 5pm on Saturday (January 8), when he reached the Tesco roundabout from Newham Road in the city.

The roundabout was clear so he went across it, as he does each day, when he saw a red van in the corner of his vision coming from A39 Morlaix Avenue.

It “shot” out of Morlaix Avenue and hit John, who said he was struck in the lower left leg at first before his head was slammed onto the car as he was rolled onto the bonnet.

“I saw the van briefly in the corner of my eye,” John said, “And the next thing I knew, I was on the floor.

“I know I bounced off the windshield. I noticed the van from where I was - but knew I didn’t want to move in case I hurt my back. I lied still.

“It’s true what they say, everything goes in slow motion and I remember as it hit me I remember thinking thank God I don’t go underneath.”

John, who had his lights, a high-viz jacket and a helmet on, said he then hit the ground on his back, and didn’t move for fear he’d seriously hurt himself and waited for the driver to stop.

The driver, however, sped off on the A39 towards Trafalgar Roundabout instead of checking if John was alright.

John is appealing to anyone who saw a small, old, slightly beaten-up red van with black roof bars around 5pm on the A39 going through Truro to come forward. The van, according to witnesses, looked to be an older Peugeot van with a bonnet.

He said he wants to find the driver and report them to the police.

John continued: “For all he knew I could have been dead, I hadn’t moved, or gotten up.

“I didn’t even hear him screech his breaks or anything, I surely would have heard some skidding.

“He slowed down as he exited the roundabout and I thought he was going to stop, so I didn’t try and make out the number plate as I focused on checking I was alright, like wiggling my toes since this is the worst accident I’ve been in.”

Passersby stopped to help John, and called an ambulance which he denied, as he explained: “Because of all the ambulances waiting outside Treliske these days, I know for myself from when I took my kid into casualty and waited five hours how long it could be.

“I felt I didn’t really want to wait five hours to find out nothing was life-threatening. But I didn’t feel good at all, and couldn't walk home. One of the people gave me a lift home.

“In hindsight I probably should have waited for an ambulance and made more out of it.

“My lower leg and calf is where I was hurting most at first. I rolled onto my back, whacked my head and then ended up on the floor. Apparently I did a full cartwheel. My leg is really sore, and I’m limping when I walk. My back is really bruised all down my left side.”

John, who is currently off work due to the injuries, said he reported the hit and run to the police - but has yet to hear of any progress into an investigation.

There are CCTV cameras along Morlaix Avenue, John said, and he hopes someone can help find the driver who hit him.

“For someone to just run off at the scene,” John continued, “It’s just wrong.”

“And I’m out of pocket because of my bike and my phone, which is smashed up. The back wheel of my bike’s knackered, the gears are falling off. I’ll have to get a new one, it’s not worth fixing.

“I always wear a helmet, as a colleague who was in a crash was saved by wearing one around ten years ago.

“I remember when I was on the floor thinking I was so lucky I had one.

“I hit my head so hard on something - that was my first thought. I would be dead otherwise.”

Devon and Cornwall Police has been contacted for more information on the incident.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."