ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Postman who left old woman lying in snow after doorstep fall sacked by Royal Mail

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Postman who left old woman lying in snow after doorstep fall sacked by Royal Mail

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/k ... n-25682436

Royal Mail postman Thomas McCafferty ignored the pleas for help from Patricia Stewart, 72, as she lay on the steps of her home in Falkirk last February in freezing conditions

Postman refuses to help elderly woman after fall at her doorstep

A postman who told an elderly woman lying on her doorstep after she slipped on ice that he was too “knackered” to help has been sacked by Royal Mail.

Postie Thomas McCafferty ignored the pleas for help from Patricia Stewart, 72, as she lay on the steps of her home in Falkirk, Scotland, last February in freezing conditions, in one of the coldest winters for 26 years.

A Royal Mail spokesperson this morning confirmed that McCafferty had left the company, Daily Record reports.

“We have been in touch with the customer concerned to express our apologies again and to update them following the conclusion of the investigation,” he continued.

“We have also now completed our internal investigation but we are unable to comment further on any outcome for confidentiality reasons.”

Patricia shouted for help for around 20 minutes after slipping on ice and hitting her head outside her home.

When the distraught gran-of-two, from Bainsford saw the postman she thought her ordeal was over.

Footage of the shocking incident captured by Patricia’s neighbour’s doorbell camera and shared online showed McCafferty standing over Patricia as she let out a moan, before saying something to the postie.

But in response, McCafferty said “I can't help you pal” and proceeded to explain that he was 'too knackered' to assist the pensioner after her fall.

He then left the stricken OAP without even calling for help.

Thankfully, 22-year-old Hermes driver Karolina Domska found Mrs Stewart crying in the snow 20 minutes after the fall and helped her back into her house.

Mrs Stewart's family fear she could have died in the freezing conditions, with the pensioner - who walks with a Zimmer frame - suffering from bone disease osteoporosis.

Niece Sheryl Harkins said: "What this gentleman did is disgusting. He deserves everything he is going to get.

"He shouldn't be working with the public."

Grandmother-of-two Patricia, who lives alone, said she felt dizzy and fell from the top step, banging her head.

McCafferty told the pensioner he was 'too knackered' to help her up

With the postman ignoring her pleas for help, she said she feared she might have been "lying there for hours".

At the time Patricia told The Sun : "Twenty minutes I was shouting 'help' and I was crying.

"I was lying partly in the snow and I banged my head. She added: "Even if he was knackered, at the end of the day that's his job."

The gran said she was left with a lump the size of an egg on her head following the incident.

Ms Harkins previously said she was still awaiting an apology from the postman.

An investigation was launched by the Royal Mail and McCafferty was initially suspended , while an area manager later visited Ms Stewart to apologise in person and bring her chocolates.

At the time, the company said it expects "the highest standards of behaviour" from employees.

"We regularly remind our postmen and postwomen of the important role they play in their local communities,” a company spokesperson added.

"We have been in touch with the customer concerned to apologise and to inform them we are investigating this incident.”

“We are sorry for the distress this incident has caused.”
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."

TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Re: Postman who left old woman lying in snow after doorstep fall sacked by Royal Mail

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Original story viewtopic.php?t=99501
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."
Coffee lover

Re: Postman who left old woman lying in snow after doorstep fall sacked by Royal Mail

Post by Coffee lover »

Probably the right decision as this guy was very uncaring, but we unfortunately don’t have time to be play an important role in the community with extra work and unable to even complete Job every day like they say they regularly remind us of, Really!
Cardinal1
POST OFFICE

Post by Cardinal1 »

Got what he deserved how would you feel if that was your mother hurt and asking for help
parcelboy
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by parcelboy »

Whilst I don't condone his actions,I myself was sacked for helping a member of public god rest her soul .
The Dom at the time used this as an excuse to suspend me and along with his colluding mates to eventually get me sacked for "Wilfully delaying mail " I hope these individuals get what's coming to them eventually .
To come in on annual leave to carry out my disciplinary hearing speaks volumes of the cover up that was involved.
Hopefully Royal Mail will get more good press from myself as they seem to be "Wilfully delaying Mail"in most parts of country.
Emailed CEO got very negative response only as expected so now I will have great delight in passing on my own experience to all newspaper's who published this story.
My own view is that once Government took on historic pension deficit get rid of as many long serving postmen in order to mitigate losses.
The manager in my office got rid of at least 20 long servers in 2 years (And no doubt a massive bonus )