ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Llanelli : Postal deliveries in Wales facing disruption after row over whistleblower who was fired during investigation into 'fake hours' scam : Update 26/10 Gary reinstated

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Llanelli : Postal deliveries in Wales facing disruption after row over whistleblower who was fired during investigation into 'fake hours' scam : Update 26/10 Gary reinstated

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/p ... np1taskbar

Postal deliveries in Wales are facing disruption after an extraordinary row over a whistleblower who was fired during an investigation into a 'fake hours' scam.

An office administrator in Royal Mail's Llanelli depot was fired after sounding the alarm over posties being paid for overtime they had not worked, The Mail on Sunday understands.

His colleagues at the office, which employs 120, went on strike last Wednesday and plan further action later this month.

It is alleged that a senior manager responsible for the Swansea area fired the administrator during an internal probe.

The whistleblower had been allegedly instructed by his managers to fraudulently pay staff for overtime which had not been worked.

The plan was said to have been aimed at allowing bosses to keep budgets artificially high during quiet periods – such as the summer months – to ensure that delivery targets could be hit during busier periods such as Christmas.

The Mail on Sunday has been told that the administrator made the payments on the instruction of two managers, but he later had second thoughts and alerted Royal Mail's internal investigations unit.

One manager is now off work with stress, while the other has been suspended.

A ten-strong team is investigating the matter and studying paperwork going back more than five years.

The administrator has appealed against his dismissal and is yet to learn his fate.

Royal Mail was forced to apologise to customers affected by the strike and said it was 'disappointed by the action. A source close to Royal Mail said: 'The senior manager has tried to keep his budgets healthy by getting the guys in the office to pay postmen for fake overtime hours which they haven't worked.

'The guy who did it then became uneasy. He's tried to blow the whistle on his bosses and been fired.

'The big question is if the investigation finds misconduct, is Llanelli the only office where this has happened?'

Royal Mail has a network of more than 1,200 delivery offices across the country.

Chief executive Simon Thompson has identified a core group of underperforming offices at which he hopes to improve efficiency.

Thompson is also attempting to tackle longstanding issues with bullying within the organisation.

A Royal Mail spokeswoman said: 'Due to an ongoing appeals process, we are unable to comment.'
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."

theotherone

Re: Postal deliveries in Wales facing disruption after row over whistleblower who was fired during investigation into 'fake hours' scam

Post by theotherone »

Rotten to the core,glad the story is out in the public domain.
A2B

Re: Postal deliveries in Wales facing disruption after row over whistleblower who was fired during investigation into 'fake hours' scam

Post by A2B »

This is going to get very interesting 😳
NWpostie

Post by NWpostie »

I'm sure the ones who fraudulently received unworked overtime payment will voluntarily give them back. :cuppa
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.
fb1969
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by fb1969 »

And the media will now assume that every postie is paid for overtime they haven't done
Royal Mail
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
CharlesG

Post by CharlesG »

Wow.
Seems like employee was dismissed for telling the truth. Shame on Royal Mail for this, this should of been cleared up within a matter of days.

How widespread is fraudulent recording of overtime? I know of many offices where ‘ghost’ overtime is very common practise

Support for Llanelli :Applause
A2B

Post by A2B »

NWpostie wrote:
17 Oct 2021, 08:39
I'm sure the ones who fraudulently received unworked overtime payment will voluntarily give them back. :cuppa
That's what makes this situation interesting, how far down the rabbit hole do they want to go?

Across the country DOMs pay out ghost overtime to get work out the door, stop that and RM might actually employ more people and properly resource to workload
theotherone

Post by theotherone »

I think also ties in with crap O/T rates.
Do I ..Finish at 1.30 and I have to start my O/T at 3 (my official finish time) for standard rate.
Or do I Finish at 1.30 start my O/T straight away and I've already agreed to 2 hours docket but it will only take me an hour.

Me personally I'm taking option B.
It's used Bosses as leverage.

Another gripe with duties not going for 2 days you complete and go overs 2 hours say,RM have got 2 days worth of mail done for only 2 hours extra.
So what incentive is there for bosses to get duties out? Bosses love it when people don't work days off because it saves saves saves.
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR

Re: Llanelli : Postal deliveries in Wales facing disruption after row over whistleblower who was fired during investigation into 'fake hours' scam

Post by POSTMAN »

So much for the Royal mail speak up line, w*****s.
I Wrote
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
A2B

Post by A2B »

theotherone wrote:
17 Oct 2021, 09:42
Do I ..Finish at 1.30 and I have to start my O/T at 3 (my official finish time) for standard rate.
Or do I Finish at 1.30 start my O/T straight away and I've already agreed to 2 hours docket but it will only take me an hour.

Another gripe with duties not going for 2 days you complete and go overs 2 hours say,RM have got 2 days worth of mail done for only 2 hours extra.
So what incentive is there for bosses to get duties out? Bosses love it when people don't work days off because it saves saves saves.
We all know how it works but it doesn't make it right. DOMs don't want clocking in and out because these "deals" will cease to exist as our every move is tracked and the shareholders need to be appeased :roll:
theotherone

Post by theotherone »

A2B wrote:
17 Oct 2021, 10:30
theotherone wrote:
17 Oct 2021, 09:42

We all know how it works but it doesn't make it right. DOMs don't want clocking in and out because these "deals" will cease to exist as our every move is tracked and the shareholders need to be appeased :roll:
The new agreement actually still gives flexibility when it comes to this.Even with clocking in and out as long as 'a verbal' agreement has been made that will not affect your paid hours for hours worked.
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR

Re: Llanelli : Postal deliveries in Wales facing disruption after row over whistleblower who was fired during investigation into 'fake hours' scam

Post by POSTMAN »

Simon Thomson

Team - I believe in transparency….
Clearly we cannot comment on this in any forum - I know you will understand why.

After posting the story on Workplace.
I Wrote
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
A2B

Post by A2B »

Really! Not doubting you just like to see it in writing.
theotherone

Post by theotherone »

A2B wrote:
17 Oct 2021, 10:52
Really! Not doubting you just like to see it in writing.
Technology deployment – key principles
• Technology will not be used to de-humanise the workplace or operational decision making.
• Where technology replaces a manual system, such as signing on sheets, any process supported by the manual system will in future be supported by the new technology.

• Scan In/Out data will not be used for the automatic reduction of contractual pay or allowances based on data captured, or to reduce overtime pay where a (verbal) contract has been agreed with the manager prior to commencement.
A2B

Post by A2B »

Thanks for that

Still unsure if a DOM is officially allowed to authorise ghost overtime? As i said we all know it happens and why but it's against company policy to pay people for time they haven't worked.