ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Llanelli : Postal deliveries in Wales facing disruption after row over whistleblower who was fired during investigation into 'fake hours' scam : Update 26/10 Gary reinstated

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
theotherone

Re: Llanelli : Postal deliveries in Wales facing disruption after row over whistleblower who was fired during investigation into 'fake hours' scam

Post by theotherone »

'The big question is if the investigation finds misconduct, is Llanelli the only office where this has happened?'

Of course not they know this,we know this.Will the investigation go further then Llanelli? Highly improbable because why would they investigate it.
As Postman touched on above the alarming thing is he got in touch and ended up with the sack.
So if I know for a fact something dodgy is going on I just better keep my mouth shut because I'll end up sacked too.

A2B

Re: Llanelli : Postal deliveries in Wales facing disruption after row over whistleblower who was fired during investigation into 'fake hours' scam

Post by A2B »

The thing is when stories like this reach the public domain external bodies become involved, major shareholders will demand the overtime bill is looked into and reduced to a minimum
wazer

Post by wazer »

Lets hope it highlights all the other scams going on in offices. All the info ive seen from RM and CWU its pretty rosie. Tracked,specials, covid case in offices (15 in ours last week).No staff ,piles of letters everywhere,etc,etc. I hope papers look into wots going on.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

In delivery offices, overtime paid out to finish early and go home, been happening for years.

How the DOM's get away with it is beyond me. (s**t management through and through at every level)
CUT OFF!!!
mjd24

Re: Postal deliveries in Wales facing disruption after row over whistleblower who was fired during investigation into 'fake hours' scam

Post by mjd24 »

CharlesG wrote:
17 Oct 2021, 08:54
Wow.
Seems like employee was dismissed for telling the truth. Shame on Royal Mail for this, this should of been cleared up within a matter of days.

How widespread is fraudulent recording of overtime? I know of many offices where ‘ghost’ overtime is very common practise

Support for Llanelli :Applause
If the people doing ghost overtime had slowed down and finished at the time they were paid until, having done no more work than if theyd finished earlier- would that be ok?
mjd24

Post by mjd24 »

A2B wrote:
17 Oct 2021, 12:29
Thanks for that

Still unsure if a DOM is officially allowed to authorise ghost overtime? As i said we all know it happens and why but it's against company policy to pay people for time they haven't worked.
Yet if theyd done the same amount of work but at a slower pace and finished at the time theyve been paid to then that is fine?
Tman

Post by Tman »

Whether it's "fine" or not is irrelevant.
It's up to the manager's discretion whether he offers 2, 3, 4, whatever hours O/T, but you book 4 having done it in 2 and gone home, is fraud.
A2B

Post by A2B »

mjd24 wrote:
18 Oct 2021, 21:13
A2B wrote:
17 Oct 2021, 12:29
Thanks for that

Still unsure if a DOM is officially allowed to authorise ghost overtime? As i said we all know it happens and why but it's against company policy to pay people for time they haven't worked.
Yet if theyd done the same amount of work but at a slower pace and finished at the time theyve been paid to then that is fine?
Or to put another spin on it is it ok for someone who doesn't want overtime to rush around with no breaks finishing an hour or more early everyday?
citypostie

Post by citypostie »

So does anyone know the facts of this case? Everyone is assuming it's about ghosting but that usually involves work that has actually been done admittedly usually quicker than the hours paid. I remember a case where managers and postie's got in trouble because they where giving and getting paid for overtime when no actual work was done , not even an hour's worth for 2 hours pay or something like that, literally nothing. This could be the same unless someone knows the facts.
Ghosting happens everywhere and RM know they need it to clear offices as the caveat in the sign on/off agreement shows
ssdd

Post by ssdd »

citypostie wrote:
19 Oct 2021, 16:50
So does anyone know the facts of this case? Everyone is assuming it's about ghosting but that usually involves work that has actually been done admittedly usually quicker than the hours paid. I remember a case where managers and postie's got in trouble because they where giving and getting paid for overtime when no actual work was done , not even an hour's worth for 2 hours pay or something like that, literally nothing. This could be the same unless someone knows the facts.
Ghosting happens everywhere and RM know they need it to clear offices as the caveat in the sign on/off agreement shows
I agree with you city. Everyone seems to be jumping to conclusions that this is about ghosting, when that may not be the case.
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR

Post by POSTMAN »

The whistleblower had been allegedly instructed by his managers to fraudulently pay staff for overtime which had not been worked.

Could be about budgets, budget is under this week so we need to up it so we don't have less next year if we are under budget for the year.
Weirdly, the staff would then owe the time and would effectively work for free in the future, reducing future spend.
It's a thing. And it's not new.
If you're involved then you're a dick.
I Wrote
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
POSTPERSON50

Post by POSTPERSON50 »

I suspect that the issue at Llanelli does not blame posties for being paid overtime that they have not worked. The Delivery Office budget totals that are expected to be attained are relatively consistent throughout the year, when in reality the summer and winter budgets should obviously be far less in the summer and much higher in winter. This gives management a problem. How to maintain those levels across the year. Ideally, the summer months should be spent 'lapsing' hours when the traffic is much less, and adding a lot of pressure overtime in winter, especially around Christmas. The winter budgets take into account the extra staffing levels around Christmas, as there is no annual leave taken at peak periods. Those extra staff available perform 'special duties'. Those staff theoretically reduce 'pressure overtime' in the DO's, so Royal Mail expects that the budget hours available in winter be achieved. As we know, this isn't now the case, parcel levels have got completely out of hand in recent years, so Christmas has become chaotic. Therefore, management struggle to keep control of the spend. Although I do not know details of what has happened in Llanelli, and maybe somebody could enlighten us regarding the allegations, management have historically manipulated the finances at Royal Mail. It appears that some staff have been given overtime payments to inflate the office spend during quieter periods, with a view to repaying that time back at a later date, therefore reducing future cost. This is contrary to Royal Mail rules. Royal Mail is a PLC, and should be completely transparent. If the posties have been told by management that receiving money for work they haven't yet done is acceptable, that is not their fault, as management are expected to understand the rules of the business to a greater degree than the front line staff. If you have been asked to accept payment before you have worked that time, you should feel free to say yes, this has happened to me. I believe the Royal Mail Chairman has an obligation to clarify the rules regarding this situation, as the practice is still ongoing throughout the business.
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR

Re: Llanelli : Postal deliveries in Wales facing disruption after row over whistleblower who was fired during investigation into 'fake hours' scam : Update 26/10 Gary reinstated

Post by POSTMAN »

He's been reinstated.
I Wrote
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
POSTPERSON50

Re: Llanelli : Postal deliveries in Wales facing disruption after row over whistleblower who was fired during investigation into 'fake hours' scam : Update 26/10 Gary reinstated

Post by POSTPERSON50 »

POSTMAN wrote:
26 Oct 2021, 10:07
He's been reinstated.
As I understand it, one manager was suspended and one went sick when that issue was investigated. I wonder what the depth of the investigation was?
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR

Post by POSTMAN »

The whistleblower had been allegedly instructed by his managers to fraudulently pay staff for overtime which had not been worked.
I had a thought today, while we are still not sure what went on, IF the above, then how are those who participated still in a job as well?
Big IF btw.
I Wrote
My BFF Clash