ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Town's surprise send-off to postie Jack for 20 years of service

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Town's surprise send-off to postie Jack for 20 years of service

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

https://www.eadt.co.uk/news/felixstowe- ... ff-8315164

People living in Felixstowe turned out in force to say thanks to their local postman on his final round.

Jack Brundell has been working for Royal Mail for the past 20 years as a postman.

For the past 12 years his round has included residents living in Looe Road, Quintons Lane and Carol Close.

Saturday marked Mr Brundell's final working day as he retired and to say thanks his usual customers had a special delivery waiting for him.

Jack and his wife Janet receiving gifts from residents - Credit: Jessica Coppins

Over 30 residents were lying in wait for him as he made his way down Looe Road on his usual round.

"It was amazing to see them all," he said.

"I know them all by their first names."

Mr Brundell said he had loved his time working as a postman, a job he took up to get in more exercise after being diagnosed with diabetes while working as a chef.

"I have enjoyed it very much," he said.

"What made it enjoyable was knowing the people out there and me respecting them and them respecting me."

He said that the variable weather conditions experienced by postmen had never truly bothered him.

"They are all worth it when you see a person's face when I deliver a package for them," said Mr Brundell.

Richard Love, who organised the event, said that Mr Brundell was a real local character who has very much valued by the community.

Jack was described as the film of glue in the community - Credit: Jessica Coppins

"Sometimes you get somebody in the community who acts like a film of glue and that is Jack," said Mr Love.

"He was really just one of those congenial and happy souls.

"He always made time to say hello even if it was snowing or 48C."

Jack with his daughter Sapphira Minns and his granddaughter Yuna - Credit: Jessica Coppins

The residents held a collection to buy some parting gifts for Mr Brundell to help show their thanks to him for his work over the years.

Among the gifts given to him was a voucher for the Owl and Pussy Cat pub and a voucher for the Wool Baa, craft shop in Felixstowe as he is a keen knitter.

In his speech given at the event, Mr Love described Mr Brundell as the "Tom Daley of Felixstowe" for his affinity with wool.

For now Mr Brundell says he will be swapping two feet for two wheels as he looks to enjoy his retirement whilst not forgetting his former customers.

He said: "I will cycle past and wave at everyone."
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."

Chelseablue

Re: Town's surprise send-off to postie Jack for 20 years of service

Post by Chelseablue »

All the best Jack . Last of a dying breed , they way things are going now youlle be lucky to have a regular postperson on for a year . Older postys who have been on there deliveries for years now find there dutys have been done away with or split . All a customer wants is a regular , hardworking friendly posty , its not rocket science Simon.