ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

What Happened To The Royal Mail Liveried Boeing 737?

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

What Happened To The Royal Mail Liveried Boeing 737?

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

https://simpleflying.com/royal-mail-boeing-737/

The UK’s Royal Mail postal service is known for its unmistakable red and yellow color scheme. It is most often seen on the company’s vans and lorries, with 15 Class 325 trains also bearing this livery. However, did you know that these famous colors were also once applied to an aircraft? Let’s take a look at the story of the Royal Mail liveried Boeing 737.

Originally a passenger aircraft
The aircraft that wore the Royal Mail livery was a being 737-300 with the registration G-ZAPV. According to data from ch-aviation.com, this particular example made its first flight in January 1990, making it over 31 years old today. It spent the first eight years of its life flying for Philippine Airlines under the registration EI-BZH.

Data from Planespotters.net shows that, while at Philippine Airlines, EI-BZH had a one-class 141-seat configuration. However, when it moved to UK carrier Go Fly in April 1998, this figure increased to 148 passengers. At this point, its registration became G-IGOC.

According to ATDB.aero, the aircraft then joined fellow British budget airline easyJet in July 2002. G-IGOC reportedly retained its Go livery, owing to an ongoing merger between the two carriers. The aircraft eventually left easyJet in November 2003. Its destination was Now Airlines, but, after this acquisition was canceled, its career took a rather different path.

Converted to carry mail

The aircraft eventually fell into the hands of Titan Airways, who received it in February 2004. This UK charter operator flies both passenger and freight services, and elected to convert G-IGOC to serve the latter purpose. Titan operates overnight post flights for Royal Mail on two UK routes: Bournemouth-East Midlands and Exeter-London Stansted.

Now registered as G-ZAPV, the newly converted 737-300 freighter was used to celebrate Royal Mail’s partnership with Titan by painting it in the former’s famous red and yellow livery. After its conversion, G-ZAPV entered service as a freighter in August 2004.

G-ZAPV enjoyed the longest tenure of its career thus far at Titan, flying mail within the UK for nine years. This came to an in December 2013, just after Titan had agreed on a new contract with Royal Mail, with additional routes serving Belfast and Edinburgh.

Still active today
After leaving Titan Airways, G-ZAPV joined fellow UK cargo carrier Atlantic Airlines in December 2013. Here, it took on the registration G-JMCT. Atlantic Airlines became known as West Atlantic UK in November 2017, and is a key British freight operator.

G-JMCT is now more than 31 years old. However, with cargo operators often favoring older planes, this has allowed it to stay in service with West Atlantic. At the time of writing, the aircraft could frequently be found on overnight cargo shuttles between London and Edinburgh. RadarBox.com also listed Vilnius, Lithuania among its destinations.

Did you know about the Royal Mail liveried Boeing 737? Perhaps you’ve even seen it on your travels? Let us know your thoughts and experiences in the comments!
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."

knackeredneedadayoff

Re: What Happened To The Royal Mail Liveried Boeing 737?

Post by knackeredneedadayoff »

probably razor blades by now
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Post by SpacePhoenix »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
10 Sep 2021, 09:12
Titan operates overnight post flights for Royal Mail on two UK routes: Bournemouth-East Midlands and Exeter-London Stansted.
Probably about 4 maybe 5 years ago now that it stopped. Don't know about Exeter but I know RM stopped using Bournemouth Airport, we now send sprinter vans to the RDCs to collect the stuff
Pompey Boy

Post by Pompey Boy »

Space Phoenix,

I think it was about 5 years ago and coincided with 7.5 tonne duties and drivers going to SOMC from POMC.

The POMC to Bournemouth (Hurn) Airport duties were very much the domain of the "senior men". Get in at 8pm, your vehicle already fuelled and on the bay, Sky Nets loaded by bay staff, then a drive down to the airport. After unloading nothing much to do until the incoming flights arrived. Then load up, drive back to POMC and go home.

I remember a few years before that when Hurn was closed overnight for runway resurfacing. RM had several transit vans going up to east Midlands to do what the planes did.

Happy days, particularly when POMC was still open!
How much worse can it get? A LOT F****** WORSE !!!
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Post by SpacePhoenix »

Pompey Boy wrote:
10 Sep 2021, 19:59
Space Phoenix,

I think it was about 5 years ago and coincided with 7.5 tonne duties and drivers going to SOMC from POMC.

The POMC to Bournemouth (Hurn) Airport duties were very much the domain of the "senior men". Get in at 8pm, your vehicle already fuelled and on the bay, Sky Nets loaded by bay staff, then a drive down to the airport. After unloading nothing much to do until the incoming flights arrived. Then load up, drive back to POMC and go home.

I remember a few years before that when Hurn was closed overnight for runway resurfacing. RM had several transit vans going up to east Midlands to do what the planes did.

Happy days, particularly when POMC was still open!
Is the DO still in the old building or has that moved out as well?
Pompey Boy

Post by Pompey Boy »

No. At about the same time (autumn 2016) the delivery office moved to a new building at Voyager Park, an industrial estate to the North of Portsea Island.

As far as I know only CashCo remains at POMC, PPO Counters outside.
How much worse can it get? A LOT F****** WORSE !!!
ronaldinho0097

Post by ronaldinho0097 »

You can just imagine the state of this plane back in the day.
Doors not locking/shutting tight,
smell of urine in the cabin,
landing gear not fit for purpose,
faulty electronics,
someone's blue molded lunch tucked between seats...
PostmanBitesDog

Post by PostmanBitesDog »

ronaldinho0097 wrote:
10 Sep 2021, 21:42
faulty electronics,
Replace cabin with front seats and landing gear with handbrake and you have the perfect description of today's Royal Mail van. :thumbup
ConeHater
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Post by ConeHater »

Can buy a mahogany model on e-bay for £137 + £38 p&p ! Comes from Philippines with UPS or DHL so at least it won’t disappear at HWDC !
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Post by SpacePhoenix »

Pompey Boy wrote:
10 Sep 2021, 21:04
No. At about the same time (autumn 2016) the delivery office moved to a new building at Voyager Park, an industrial estate to the North of Portsea Island.

As far as I know only CashCo remains at POMC, PPO Counters outside.
If that's all that's left in the building then I'm surprised that RM havn't sold the building to a developer.

Our CashCo went a good few years ago
ted_e_bear

Post by ted_e_bear »

ronaldinho0097 wrote:
10 Sep 2021, 21:42
faulty electronics,
Yeah and they probably told the pilots their lapsing was to fly low and spray some crops on the way :chuckle