ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Hundreds back fight to save three 'much-loved' posties in Royal Mail row

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Hundreds back fight to save three 'much-loved' posties in Royal Mail row

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/news/st ... ee-5782337

Villagers have launched a petition to try to stop their 'much-loved' postmen being replaced by Royal Mail.

The three Madeley posties are reportedly being swapped for new postal workers in the next few weeks after Royal Mail decided to move its routes.

The campaign has been started by Rachael Goodwin - and 539 people signed the online petition in less than 48 hours.

Top story: Girl, 11, mauled by out-of-control Staffy in North Staffordshire park

Royal Mail says it is proud of its posties, but the changes are being made to meet increasing volumes of parcels and to ensure a fair workload for all its employees.

Rachael says none of the postal workers themselves were involved in instigating the petition and they have remained 'quietly professional throughout'.

Rachael, aged 57, said: "The village of Madeley is dismayed to learn that we will potentially lose three fantastic, long-serving posties in a Royal Mail 'redeployment'.

"Having already lost our village post office following the retirement of the previous postmaster, the residents of Madeley are greatly concerned to learn that the three postmen may be moved to new rounds and other employees substituted in their place.

"While this may serve some management agenda for Royal Mail, we, the villagers, have known these individuals, and had exemplary professional service from them, for cumulatively some 60 years.

"Their intimate and expansive knowledge of the residential areas and the individual householders they serve, gives them an undisputed and incomparable advantage in efficiency.

"In addition, these workers are not just commodities. They have a personal relationship with this village, as our friends, neighbours, as willing, valued, trusted community stewards and are our unofficial neighbourhood watch.

"This is not something that can be easily or casually replaced and the strength of feeling within our community reflects this."

Helen Hawley owns The Pet Shop in Madeley and is supporting the campaign.

The 54-year-old, from Madeley, said: "Our posties do a brilliant job for us.

"We have an online business and they collect the parcels from the box outside our shop for us, they're very helpful and they have been here for a long time.

"We don't have a post office in Madeley anymore, the nearest one is in Betley or Woore, but the posties remind us by asking if we've got any parcels and they know what time we open so they don't deliver before then.

"We've also got flats above us and, with the recipients permission, they give us their parcels to hand over. They're so helpful and really good at what they do.

"Over 20 years they have been doing this round. I don't understand why they are putting three posties somewhere else where they don't know.

"You get to trust your posties, they're a big part of the community and they get to know you. They bend over backwards for us. I can't believe what Royal Mail is doing to them. I don't think it's fair.

"They're much-loved, everybody stops to have a chat with them and the older people trust them. Old and vulnerable people who are on their own and don't know anybody trust their posties because they have known them for so long.

"We just want Royal Mail to reconsider."

Jean Fradley, from Madeley, is another resident supporting the petition.

She said: "I was astounded when I heard, I just thought they must be joking, it's just ludicrous.

"During lockdown I was one of the people who was restricted in what I could do and my postman would always smile and was a familiar face and it cheered a lot of people up.

"It takes a long time to get to know the area and they know it intimately, we just feel it's pretty awful to be moving people elsewhere for no reason, nobody wants it.

"It's really annoying, it's just making life worse for everyone. They're breaking up a really good team for what we can see is no gain at all.

"They can't replace the intimate knowledge that these postmen have of the area, we will lose that. Many properties in rural areas are unnamed but our postmen know everyone, and all the quirks and strange addresses in the village.

"We're very lucky to have these postmen and everybody appreciates them. I have signed the petition in the hope that perhaps Royal Mail will reconsider breaking up the team we've got here.

"It's just one of those decisions that makes everyone's quality of life less than it was the day before."

Got something to say about this story? Join the conversation by clicking on the green comments icon at the top of this page or the picture box

Royal Mail has responded to the petition.

A Royal Mail spokesman said: "Every day we receive reports of our people going above and beyond in the communities they serve. We are proud of the work our people are doing in the community.

"Royal Mail is moving routes for some of its shifts at some delivery offices. These improvements have been put in place to help our people meet the increasing volumes of parcels generated by online shopping and to ensure a fair workload for all our employees."
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."

scoobydo79

Re: Hundreds back fight to save three 'much-loved' posties in Royal Mail row

Post by scoobydo79 »

Yawn!! Our much loved posties sign for everything to save us going to get things from the sorting office.Even the special deliveries. They even ignore the address what’s on the parcel and find Me when I’m at work on My tracked parcels.....Sheeeesh :cuppa lol
Chelseablue

Re: Hundreds back fight to save three 'much-loved' posties in Royal Mail row

Post by Chelseablue »

Royal mail dont care if you go the extra mile for your customers . Remember terry saying we are a big part of the community , taking long serving posties off there duties dosent do the business any good at all . Were just a number to rm nowadays which is sad.