ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Royal Mail issues crushing blow to online shoppers with plans to scrap popular service

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Royal Mail issues crushing blow to online shoppers with plans to scrap popular service

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... s-21146342

Royal Mail has said it plans to scrap one of its most popular services

Delivery giant Royal Mail has said it plans to scrap one of its most popular services.

The delivery service says it wants to scrap Saturday deliveries - a service which many online shoppers rely on.

Any decision to scrap Saturday letter deliveries and signed-for parcels would need changes to the law, as the company is currently required to deliver letters for a fixed price, six days per week, under a universal service obligation (USO).

The review comes as it seeks to modernise and push through big cost savings by changing its ‘whole product offering.

Simon Thompson, the postal service’s new UK boss, is looking at the changes as part of a six-month review to focus on parcels industry.

With letter volumes in decline, bosses argue this requirement is outdated and leaves Royal Mail at a disadvantage versus rivals such as DHL and Amazon.

Despite this, Royal Mail bosses are said to want to scrap tracked, signed-for parcels because they are expensive to deliver, with many customers happy for packages to be left in a safe place if they are not home, according to the Daily Telegraph.

Ofcom, the communications regulator, has already backed the proposal to scrap Saturday letter deliveries in principle, says Devon Live.

It said consumer needs could still be met following the change, which could save Royal Mail between £125million and £225million.

Ofcom said the decision on changing the USO was ultimately up to MPs.

But the Communication Workers Union, which fears job cuts if services are trimmed, has previously said reducing letter deliveries would be ‘unforgivable’.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."

POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR

Re: Royal Mail issues crushing blow to online shoppers with plans to scrap popular service

Post by POSTMAN »

I Wrote
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.