ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Signed-for deliveries under threat in Royal Mail shake-up and the end of a Saturday letter deliveries

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
HTPostman

Re: Signed-for deliveries under threat in Royal Mail shake-up and the end of a Saturday letter deliveries

Post by HTPostman »

:left:
Grumpyoldmailman wrote:
21 Jul 2021, 22:48
SpacePhoenix wrote:
21 Jul 2021, 19:29
I can't see signed-for being done away with as we'd loose customers.
It’s an outdated practice, a gps scan and a photo if required is all that’s needed. Our PDA’s will never be handed over to a member of the public again.
Agreed. If it was up to me (probably a good job it’s not!) we’d invest heavily in GPS scanning for all parcels and barcoded letters so you can see exactly where it’s been delivered as standard - no more having to ask customer services or having to pay a visit to the local sorting office.

I’d keep special delivery as signature items but even then surely we could look at an inflight feature whereby the recipient can request we sign and post it through for some items - perhaps a 5 second video included of us doing just that. Obviously our PDAs would need some serious investment and it wouldn’t work for all parcels - yes if it’s your wallet you left at your aunties 200 miles away. No if it’s a letter from the police or bailiffs that requires an actual signature.

We are in an age where people want things, they want it now and don’t want to have to wait in all day or book a redelivery. For too long now we’ve tried to play the ‘trusted, honest business who never doorstep your item’ but times are changing, we have to adapt and if a customer wants their item leaving behind the plant pot, and we can take picture proving we’ve done that, then we should.
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.

SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Re: Signed-for deliveries under threat in Royal Mail shake-up and the end of a Saturday letter deliveries

Post by SpacePhoenix »

HTPostman wrote:
21 Jul 2021, 23:26
:left:
Grumpyoldmailman wrote:
21 Jul 2021, 22:48
SpacePhoenix wrote:
It’s an outdated practice, a gps scan and a photo if required is all that’s needed. Our PDA’s will never be handed over to a member of the public again.
Agreed. If it was up to me (probably a good job it’s not!) we’d invest heavily in GPS scanning for all parcels and barcoded letters so you can see exactly where it’s been delivered as standard - no more having to ask customer services or having to pay a visit to the local sorting office.

I’d keep special delivery as signature items but even then surely we could look at an inflight feature whereby the recipient can request we sign and post it through for some items - perhaps a 5 second video included of us doing just that. Obviously our PDAs would need some serious investment and it wouldn’t work for all parcels - yes if it’s your wallet you left at your aunties 200 miles away. No if it’s a letter from the police or bailiffs that requires an actual signature.

We are in an age where people want things, they want it now and don’t want to have to wait in all day or book a redelivery. For too long now we’ve tried to play the ‘trusted, honest business who never doorstep your item’ but times are changing, we have to adapt and if a customer wants their item leaving behind the plant pot, and we can take picture proving we’ve done that, then we should.
One thing I think will happen over the next 5 years is absolutely every parcel having a barcode on it and machines that can sort and sequence flats and letters together. Combined RM could see exactly what mail a walk has got and then decide which walks get lapsed that day
Woody Guthrie

Post by Woody Guthrie »

There's no way RM are going to invest the kind of money needed for machines to sort letters and flats when volumes are dropping like a stone.

There's very little upside for them.
Only dead fish follow the current
ted_e_bear

Post by ted_e_bear »

SpacePhoenix wrote:
It's not so much the actual signature, the fact is we need to catch up with the others who take a photo of the item being handed over so as to prevent any issue of the recipient claiming they haven't received the item.

So really we need to adapt a hell of a lot quicker than RM are telling anyone who'll listen that they are.
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR

Post by POSTMAN »

Thinking about it.
My Hermes and Yodel dudes (They are really good btw) and my DHL guy, takes a pic of the parcel on my doorstep, usually with my feet in it and bobs your uncle.
I walk back to my computer and the email is there with the pic in etc delivered.
The future is peeps feet.
I Wrote
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Post by SpacePhoenix »

ted_e_bear wrote:
22 Jul 2021, 09:17
SpacePhoenix wrote:
It's not so much the actual signature, the fact is we need to catch up with the others who take a photo of the item being handed over so as to prevent any issue of the recipient claiming they haven't received the item.

So really we need to adapt a hell of a lot quicker than RM are telling anyone who'll listen that they are.
POSTMAN wrote:
22 Jul 2021, 09:28
Thinking about it.
My Hermes and Yodel dudes (They are really good btw) and my DHL guy, takes a pic of the parcel on my doorstep, usually with my feet in it and bobs your uncle.
I walk back to my computer and the email is there with the pic in etc delivered.
The future is peeps feet.
They all use the same PDAs as us (same hardware and basic software) but each company has it's own software on the top of the basic software. The functionality has always been available, it's just that for whatever reason, RM decided not to make use of it
Woody Guthrie wrote:
22 Jul 2021, 05:05
There's no way RM are going to invest the kind of money needed for machines to sort letters and flats when volumes are dropping like a stone.

There's very little upside for them.
Probably won't be too much longer then before RM do away with walk sequencing and just go for walk sort only.
Murdoch
EX ROYAL MAIL

Re: Signed-for deliveries under threat in Royal Mail shake-up

Post by Murdoch »

POSTMAN wrote:
21 Jul 2021, 18:50
2yearpostie wrote:
21 Jul 2021, 18:44
POSTMAN wrote:
21 Jul 2021, 18:39
2yearpostie wrote:
21 Jul 2021, 18:36
This crap again? We all know culling the Saturday service dont work as our trial showed last year.
What trial?
Was it Last summer we were told to only take our packets and oversized on a Saturday and leave the mail, then prep the mail in when we got back, we did it for around 5 weeks i think, Upshot was it took the same amount of time as taking the mail as well.
Genuinely don't remember that.
And I know for a fact if my office did that, we would piss the day as that is easy as s**t.
Would have thought most offices as well.

Edit: Found the thread about it, still can't rem much lol...
viewtopic.php?f=71&t=95730
Yeah, we all went home really early on a Saturday. Then claimed overtime or cut off on the ridiculously busy Monday.

Then the last CEO left. lol. The management of this company, is something else.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Post by SpacePhoenix »

DSA doesn't get processed in MCs at weekends anymore so if they were to trial it again, the Mondays won't be as busy