ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

New postie receives worldwide support after swapping sales for mail

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

New postie receives worldwide support after swapping sales for mail

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/brit ... 46535.html

A Briton who went viral on LinkedIn after swapping a high-paying career to become a postman has said “Covid has made people value the simple things in life”.

Phil Goddard, 56, from Orwell in Cambridgeshire left behind decades in sales and account management after going through furlough and redundancy in 2020.

In September last year he found work at TalkTalk but, while he liked the people and the company, he eventually realised he was not enjoying the work.

After his career switch, he said: “I’m not earning £100k a year anymore. I’m a postman, but I’m happy.”

Mr Goddard told the PA news agency: “I had a job that paid really well, but do you know what? It really stressed the hell out of me, and it took me a long time to realise that money’s not everything.

“I think I was probably the last person to acknowledge that I was unhappy. My wife could see it. (She) has been a great support.

“I’ve got friends who have retired at a similar age, but I’m not quite ready to retire yet.”

Shortly after quitting his job, Mr Goddard’s wife spotted a Post Office vacancy, for which he successfully applied.

Just days into his new role, Mr Goddard is enjoying pounding the pavement.

“There’s a sense of fulfilment there that I’ve never had,” he said.

“And if I can lose a few pounds, build up my stamina and improve my cardiovascular, then for me, the job’s a good ‘un.”

Mr Goddard said his postman’s pay is “sort of a quarter of what I was earning” and described working his first Saturday shift in more than 30 years as “a culture shock”.

However, it is clear he is delighted with his decision.

“What appeals to me is the freedom, the ability to be out to meet people,” he said.

“I’ll talk to strangers, whether it’s an old person that hasn’t seen anybody all week, and you’re that little lifeline.

“You can sense, when you see some elderly people, you might be the first person they’ve spoken to for some weeks.”

Mr Goddard’s reach has extended far beyond his postal route however, with more than 50,000 reactions to his career change on LinkedIn, as well as thousands of replies.

“I’ve been accepting LinkedIn requests like they’re going out of fashion!” he said.

“I’ve had messages from people in Russia, Germany, New Zealand, Australia, India… people just saying ‘Your story’s resonated with me, it’s given me the motivation, thanks for sharing.’

“I’m humbled that so many people have taken the time – I’m not often lost for words, but this has really knocked me for six in a positive way.

“Covid has made people re-evaluate their lives – (it) has made people value the simple things in life.

“Perhaps at long last I’ve found a proper job!”
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."

Coffee lover

Re: New postie receives worldwide support after swapping sales for mail

Post by Coffee lover »

Let’s see if he still like it after 5 years of moving offices and different walks every day and bad knees start happening!
WASD
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by WASD »

Coffee lover wrote:
21 Jul 2021, 17:31
Let’s see if he still like it after 5 years of moving offices and different walks every day and bad knees start happening!
And pressured to lapse and do overtime. Plus not being able to make any plans due to his days off being random each week, and can't book any holiday weeks in popular seasons. Hah.
krussel

Post by krussel »

I admire his thinking but i personally think his joined the job a good 15 years too late. Back then you could take your time and enjoy the job. I hope iam proved wrong but once the novity wears off and the winter comes i think this guy will retire.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR

Post by POSTMAN »

:funneh I did say to him on Linkedin not to forget his lapsing, he said what's that, I said go ask, he said ok will do.
I Wrote
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.