ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Stretford Litter Pickers at war with Royal Mail over rubber bands

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Stretford Litter Pickers at war with Royal Mail over rubber bands

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

https://www.messengernewspapers.co.uk/n ... ber-bands/

A LITTER picking group from Stretford is at war with Royal Mail over rubber bands dropped by its postal workers.

Stretford Litter Pickers posted a thread on Twitter after one of the group’s members found eight rubber bands on a 200m stretch of School Road, on the south side of Victoria Park.

In the thread, the group suggested it does not take ‘Isaac Newton’ to figure out the implications for the environment if the same level of littering is happening across the country.

“Now, we’re no Isaac Newton, but we can work out that if this is replicated across approximately 196,400 miles of minor C and U roads in Britain, [Royal Mail’s] posties could be littering 12,569,600 rubber bands each time the network is covered,” one tweet said.

“That’s potentially 12,569,600 pieces of litter polluting our communities and being washed into watercourses or ingested by wildlife,” another tweet added.

Royal Mail was tagged in the thread, but it has not responded.

And Hannah Chipperfield, the founder and organiser of Stretford Litter Pickers, thinks the postal service needs to take the problem of littering more seriously.

She said: “Dropping litter is illegal and it’s upsetting that some posties don’t seem to understand or care about the impact litter pollution is having on our communities and the environment.

“They should be respected role models in the community, but at the moment they’re sending a message to others that littering is acceptable. Something within Royal Mail needs to change.”

Hannah is calling for Royal Mail to adopt a ‘zero tolerance’ approach to littering for its workers, with punishments for those who break the rules.

She also wants the postal service to include anti-littering messages in its training programmes.

Asked for a comment by The Messenger, a Royal Mail spokesperson said: “We recognise that the littering of elastic bands is a potential threat to wildlife and the environment.

“We continue to actively manage their use.

“We highlight best practice for colleagues in reusing elastic bands through our internal communication channels to avoid unintended littering.”
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."

twoloops

Re: Stretford Litter Pickers at war with Royal Mail over rubber bands

Post by twoloops »

I wonder if this Stretford do-gooder is the same person?

https://twitter.com/jbizzleymcbizzl/sta ... 44742?s=21
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR

Post by POSTMAN »

What is wrong with the postie ffs.......WHY!!
I Wrote
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
deltaforce

Post by deltaforce »

Most of the time it’s not intentional. Bands seem to have a mind of their own. They twang off at all angles or drop out of your pouch when pulling out a bundle or packet.
WalkerX

Post by WalkerX »

deltaforce wrote:
29 Jul 2021, 10:38
Most of the time it’s not intentional. Bands seem to have a mind of their own. They twang off at all angles or drop out of your pouch when pulling out a bundle or packet.
Yes, they do. I pick up any that I drop, and others that I might come across from previous days when I`m out.
WalkerX

Post by WalkerX »

twoloops wrote:
28 Jul 2021, 08:19
I wonder if this Stretford do-gooder is the same person?

https://twitter.com/jbizzleymcbizzl/sta ... 44742?s=21
Matey has a lot of time on his hands. Whilst morally, he`s probably correct, I`m sure there are plenty of people in the Stretford area that park up and throw their take away litter out of the window, that he can chase after.
Also, he has n`t heard of the unspoken rule of don`t piss off your postie, :no no or he might find himself having to pick up parcels from his local callers office a little more than usual.