ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Postman Pat knitted postbox topper at Morrisons disappears in suspected theft

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Postman Pat knitted postbox topper at Morrisons disappears in suspected theft

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/n ... er-5496351

A Postman Pat display painstakingly created by a keen crafter has disappeared from outside Morrisons.

The knitted tableaux had been delighting shoppers at the supermarket in Up Hatherley, Cheltenham, after it was installed on top of a postbox there last month.

It followed similar displays in the same location at Easter and Christmas, but the person responsible had remained a mystery until now.

Carol Gatter has spoken out after her latest installation vanished earlier this week, and she suspects it has been stolen.

'Gutted'

The mum-of-three, who lives near the shop, told Gloucestershire Live: "It's gutting, to be honest.

"It was actually due to be taken down that day [that it was stolen] anyway, which is even more gutting - my postman was due to bring it back to me but for some reason we've missed each other all week.

"One of the other posties saw some of the greenery [wool], so whether it was pulled off or ripped off, I don't know.

"It's no use to anybody, it's probably just been dumped somewhere."

She assumed her postie had taken down the display as planned, ready to deliver it to her, but it was only when she saw him yesterday that he was able to break the news that it was no longer there.

The display had been tightly secured and could not have slipped off accidentally, as the postal workforce collecting letters have been tucking it behind the postbox door each day to ensure only they can move it.

It went missing on Tuesday [June 1] and she is now urging anyone who has seen it to come forward to return it to Morrisons.

Carol had kept her identity anonymous until now, not wishing to take credit, but has stepped forward to share the appeal.

The incredible Postman Pat postbox scene at Morrisons before it was taken (Image: Carol Gatter)
She said it was a "bit cloak and dagger" as she would purposely install the displays at night time to avoid being detected.

The crafter, who runs Made by Carol, added: "It's just a bit of fun, but people do take photos and comment on it - it puts a smile on people's faces.

"It's just me, sitting at home making patterns up, but I do feel that someone has ruined it for others.

"The postmen know it's me who does it and they love it too - they're just as gutted."

The suspected theft has not yet been reported to police, but Carol is making enquiries about a CCTV camera at the supermarket, which she hopes might have picked something up.

She estimated it would have taken her days to knit the entire artwork, and a lot of wool.

The talented knitter re-uses the same green base for each display, but has now had to go out and buy replacement yarn instead.

She suggested anyone who knows where Postman Pat is could report to the Morrisons community champion in store.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."