ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Royal Mail to offer 3 tier deliveries Inc timed slots

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
2yearpostie

Re: Royal Mail to offer 3 tier deliveries Inc timed slots

Post by 2yearpostie »

oypostie wrote:
08 Jun 2021, 17:01
Meanwhile back on planet Earth the second wave mail now comes in un-sequenced again and what a surprise the volume of the second wave seems to go up week by week. Also 100% of packets in offices have to be manually sorted to deliveries and tracked needing a ready for delivery scan are through the roof. I can't see any shortage of work in offices in the near future :crazy: :crazy:
Yeah, wouldnt it make more sense for the computers in the mc to scan each parcel into a york, then the do would only have to scan a york in,instead of what 130 packets per york?

SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Post by SpacePhoenix »

oypostie wrote:
Meanwhile back on planet Earth the second wave mail now comes in un-sequenced again and what a surprise the volume of the second wave seems to go up week by week.
Well that's what the DOs wanted. tbqf now that the lockdown is over and volumes have plummeted, it's frankly not worth sequencing wave 2, when there's so little on it. We get the old batch where frankly it's not worth even walk sorting it where there's that little mail. If we were to go back to sequencing all of wave 2 then our final dispatch times would need pushing back later
oypostie wrote:
Also 100% of packets in offices have to be manually sorted to deliveries and tracked needing a ready for delivery scan are through the roof. I can't see any shortage of work in offices in the near future :crazy: :crazy:
The technology actually already exists but the 1st generation of it isn't fast enough. If the packets do get sequenced or at least walk sorted then the ready for delivery scans will be way quicker. Each packet will get scanned to a york in the MC and at the DO just a single scan would be needed to mark all the packets as ready for delivery
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

SpacePhoenix wrote:
08 Jun 2021, 10:30
Woody Guthrie wrote:
08 Jun 2021, 10:04
If they eventually also go for machines that can seqence flats and letters together then where does that leave DOs? They'd be equally screwed when it comes to mergers and closures.
It leaves DOs exactly where they are now but with slightly less indoor time and slightly more outdoor time.

Not sure I follow your logic on why it would mean mergers and closures.
The more they can sequence (or at least walk sort), the less sorting frames (IPS and/or walk prep) need, so scope to merge offices depending on the space freed up
Umm nope. The more addresses there are the more duties are needed, the more duties the more floor space is needed, the more duties and the more addresses the more space is needed for frames. DOs are not tardis's, just because 99% of the stuff may be pre-sequenced, you still need room to store it, sort it and prep it.

If it isn't walk sequenced, just walk sorted then that increases the amount of sorting and prepping space required.

The only way you could merge two offices and use less space is to stagger their operating times and use interchangeable frames. As you can't deliver till 7am by law, and RM cannot have deliveries planned to finish after 3pm and 4pm, add in that a standard delivery is now 5 - 6 hours, whilst it appears possible on paper, in reality, it will fail nearly every day. More so if your prediction of later arrival times at DOs pans out.

To do all that there will need to be a massive change in the USO and I don't think RM has the political influence to be able to weaken it enough..
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."
Woody Guthrie

Post by Woody Guthrie »

The technology actually already exists but the 1st generation of it isn't fast enough. If the packets do get sequenced or at least walk sorted then the ready for delivery scans will be way quicker. Each packet will get scanned to a york in the MC and at the DO just a single scan would be needed to mark all the packets as ready for delivery
When you think these things through you have to see the big picture.
Sorting packets to individual walks might seem like a great idea on paper but there are unintentional consequences.

An office with 80 deliveries might get 40 yorks of parcels through the door in the morning, all of them full to the brim, if you start automating parcels even to duty level you end up with a minimum of 80 yorks (probably much more) and most of them half to three quarters full. This would have a major impact on efficiency both in the network and at DO level.

Those 40 yorks might take roughly 8 hours of resource to sort in the DO (about £100). That's not a lot to play with if you're thinking about investing millions in PSM technology and having to double your network and distribution capability just to get these walk sorted parcels to the DOs.
Only dead fish follow the current
max49

Post by max49 »

I thought we already charged to have item delivered next day in time slot. ...special delivery 9am & 1pm.....oh no, the goal posts have been moved for the customer ..... we charge but have extended the deliver windows :arrrghhh
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Post by SpacePhoenix »

Woody Guthrie wrote:
09 Jun 2021, 09:01
When you think these things through you have to see the big picture.
Sorting packets to individual walks might seem like a great idea on paper but there are unintentional consequences.

An office with 80 deliveries might get 40 yorks of parcels through the door in the morning, all of them full to the brim, if you start automating parcels even to duty level you end up with a minimum of 80 yorks (probably much more) and most of them half to three quarters full. This would have a major impact on efficiency both in the network and at DO level.

Those 40 yorks might take roughly 8 hours of resource to sort in the DO (about £100). That's not a lot to play with if you're thinking about investing millions in PSM technology and having to double your network and distribution capability just to get these walk sorted parcels to the DOs.
Nope, wouldn't need that many yorks. You'd have the PSM sort the packets to batches and then something like this sorting them to walks

max49 wrote:
09 Jun 2021, 09:16
I thought we already charged to have item delivered next day in time slot. ...special delivery 9am & 1pm.....oh no, the goal posts have been moved for the customer ..... we charge but have extended the deliver windows :arrrghhh
That has compensation if it goes missing. What RM are talking about is having 1 hr time slots during the day
nutcracker
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Post by nutcracker »

max49 wrote:
09 Jun 2021, 09:16
Yeah a mistake to keep up with customers wants and needs
Beanyjazz wrote:
23 Nov 2023, 08:35
'Look at me Mummy, I made £25, and it only cost me 1 knee'. Get a life.
Woody Guthrie

Post by Woody Guthrie »

Nope, wouldn't need that many yorks. You'd have the PSM sort the packets to batches and then something like this sorting them to walks
I can't see anything in that video that would reduce the need for more yorks and higher distribution costs.

We've already seen that with the FSM where even buddying up the duties still results in a lot of empty space being driven around the country with most of the trays half empty.

That system in the video is far too slow to handle the volume of parcels we do and would not be fit for purpose.

Just saying nope because you don't agree isn't a coherent argument, the fact is technology isn't always an efficient answer just because it looks cool. It has to make sense and more importantly pay for itself.
Only dead fish follow the current
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Post by SpacePhoenix »

Woody Guthrie wrote:
09 Jun 2021, 13:26
We've already seen that with the FSM where even buddying up the duties still results in a lot of empty space being driven around the country with most of the trays half empty.
Most MCs don't have FSMs and tbqf RM might as well scrap them as there's not the volume of work anymore to justify having them. Just about every tray is part full (even get the odd one with just 1 or 2 items in them), many boxes are part filled with what we sort as packets (even though they're technically large letters).

What most people fail to realise is that probably over 50-60% of what we sort as small packets are actually classed as large letters
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR

Post by POSTMAN »

Timed deliveries will be fubared by management, or mass, just leave all that and do the timed stuff.....

100%!
I Wrote
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.