ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ROYAL MAIL DELAYS : PLEASE BE AWARE THAT THERE IS A BIT OF A BACKLOG IN THE SYSTEM, WE ARE DOING OUR BEST TO DELIVER WHAT WE CAN DAILY BUT UNFORTUNATELY IN SOME AREAS THERE WILL BE DELAYS. PLEASE HAVE SOME PATIENCE AS WE ARE DOING WHAT WE CAN.Postal workers of royalmailchat.co.uk

Royal Mail to offer 3 tier deliveries Inc timed slots

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TopperGas

Royal Mail to offer 3 tier deliveries Inc timed slots

Post by TopperGas »

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/mar ... oney.co.uk

Good luck to DOM's trying to find sufficient delivery drivers and vans to meet more than one parcel delivery a day, particularly anything some distance from the DO.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Re: Royal Mail to offer 3 tier deliveries Inc timed slots

Post by SpacePhoenix »

Splitting of offices perhaps, some being letters and D2D only and a few dedicated ones being parcels only?
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Or the expansion of "Relay".

Though to be frank I think it's just salad dressing for tracked and instead of Special, 1st class, 2nd Class they are calling it something different.
The middle tier – or 'better' – product would be more expensive and is likely to be called 'My Choice'. Landon said: 'Customers will be able to select the day they want it delivered and they will have a choice of product features they can add on.' He said the options would include the customer being able to choose the day of delivery and the selection of a safe place to hide the parcel if no one is home. Finally, Landon said customers who select the 'best' product will in addition be able to choose a time slot for the delivery as well as the day.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
I am using an automatic grammar and spelling app, your original post if quoted may be amended by default. No judgement in your use of grammar or spelling is intended or meant.
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Post by SpacePhoenix »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
06 Jun 2021, 08:53
Or the expansion of "Relay".

Though to be frank I think it's just salad dressing for tracked and instead of Special, 1st class, 2nd Class they are calling it something different.
The middle tier – or 'better' – product would be more expensive and is likely to be called 'My Choice'. Landon said: 'Customers will be able to select the day they want it delivered and they will have a choice of product features they can add on.' He said the options would include the customer being able to choose the day of delivery and the selection of a safe place to hide the parcel if no one is home. Finally, Landon said customers who select the 'best' product will in addition be able to choose a time slot for the delivery as well as the day.
Should be fun for DOs having to store the stuff until the chosen delivery day. Like any mail now if it's the next day delivery, it needs to make it to the inward MC in time to be processed on wave 2 otherwise it'll fail and not go anywhere until the next day (if a DO has a collection run to the MC it might possibly get sent out on that but will inevitably fail as all walks will have already gone out for the day)
wallan

Post by wallan »

Your looking at the Now not the Future , Processing / Distribution is going to change
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Post by SpacePhoenix »

wallan wrote:
07 Jun 2021, 07:31
Your looking at the Now not the Future , Processing / Distribution is going to change
Most likely they'll make all final dispatches at least an hour later, with the knock-on affetc on DOs (will be longer for DOs as the lorries doing to the MC to DO runs will probably get caught in traffic). We won't have the room to store it, one shifts storage area is another shifts workspace and late shift probably use absolutely every last scrap of floor space anyway.

Probably not thought out properly like the D+4 (deliver to spec) thing which has now been abandoned
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

SpacePhoenix wrote:
07 Jun 2021, 08:20
wallan wrote:
We won't have the room to store it, one shifts storage area is another shifts workspace and late shift probably use absolutely every last scrap of floor space anyway.
I'd be looking over your shoulder then Spacephoenix if they are closing and merging not fit, or expensive DOs, then depsite the recent MC Rationaislation program, I'd think your place would be top of the list for relocation merger in the next round. :nervous :nervous :nervous
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
I am using an automatic grammar and spelling app, your original post if quoted may be amended by default. No judgement in your use of grammar or spelling is intended or meant.
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Post by SpacePhoenix »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
07 Jun 2021, 10:32
SpacePhoenix wrote:
07 Jun 2021, 08:20
wallan wrote:
We won't have the room to store it, one shifts storage area is another shifts workspace and late shift probably use absolutely every last scrap of floor space anyway.
I'd be looking over your shoulder then Spacephoenix if they are closing and merging not fit, or expensive DOs, then depsite the recent MC Rationaislation program, I'd think your place would be top of the list for relocation merger in the next round. :nervous :nervous :nervous
I don't think that the surrounding MCs could handle our workload being added to thei own so they'd probably have to close as well. I don't think RM would completely get rid of our place. It's in an ideal location for RM to potentially merge multiple DOs into it. A 1st floor could be built over the sorting hall as you don't have any tall machinery in a DO (CSS machines can fit inside an average height room).

As more and more parcels get sorted by machine, I wouldn't put it past RM to look into machines that could sequence packets (or at least sort them down to walk level). If they eventually also go for machines that can seqence flats and letters together then where does that leave DOs? They'd be equally screwed when it comes to mergers and closures.

Give it long enough and I reckon flats and letters delivery will be every other day at most
WalkerX

Post by WalkerX »

For the gazillionth time , we`re not bloody Amazon !!! :crazy:
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Post by SpacePhoenix »

WalkerX wrote:
07 Jun 2021, 19:05
For the gazillionth time , we`re not bloody Amazon !!! :crazy:
Like it or not, we have to adapt. Every other courier offers both time slots and the ability to see on a map where the driver is, RM will have to offer a similar service if we're going to compete for big contracts
fb1969

Post by fb1969 »

It would be good if we could deliver what we currently have :shock:
2yearpostie

Post by 2yearpostie »

Wheres the magical video that we've all seen?
Woody Guthrie

Post by Woody Guthrie »

If they eventually also go for machines that can seqence flats and letters together then where does that leave DOs? They'd be equally screwed when it comes to mergers and closures.
It leaves DOs exactly where they are now but with slightly less indoor time and slightly more outdoor time.

Not sure I follow your logic on why it would mean mergers and closures.
Only dead fish follow the current
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Post by SpacePhoenix »

Woody Guthrie wrote:
08 Jun 2021, 10:04
If they eventually also go for machines that can seqence flats and letters together then where does that leave DOs? They'd be equally screwed when it comes to mergers and closures.
It leaves DOs exactly where they are now but with slightly less indoor time and slightly more outdoor time.

Not sure I follow your logic on why it would mean mergers and closures.
The more they can sequence (or at least walk sort), the less sorting frames (IPS and/or walk prep) need, so scope to merge offices depending on the space freed up
oypostie

Post by oypostie »

Meanwhile back on planet Earth the second wave mail now comes in un-sequenced again and what a surprise the volume of the second wave seems to go up week by week. Also 100% of packets in offices have to be manually sorted to deliveries and tracked needing a ready for delivery scan are through the roof. I can't see any shortage of work in offices in the near future :crazy: :crazy: