ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Castleford postman who has had 4 brain tumours and is partially blind after a stroke set to do half marathon

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Castleford postman who has had 4 brain tumours and is partially blind after a stroke set to do half marathon

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/wes ... n-20727814

Keith Moorby, 74, has had four brain tumours and a stroke

A retired postman from Wakefield isn't letting a stroke stop him from embarking on a half marathon to raise vital funds.

Keith Moorby, 74, suffered a haemorrhagic stroke in May 2020. Since then, he has needed to use a rollator to walk outside of his home in Castleford.

The stroke left Keith weak on his dominant right side and almost blind in his right eye.

He has spent a year in and out of hospital to try and restore some vision, while also battling kidney disease and a skin cancer scare.

On top of that, Keith had already had four brain tumours and six brain operations before the stroke.

Keith told YorkshireLive: "When you have a stroke immediately your life changes. Not just for you but for your whole family. You can't do things that you want to do.

"I feel as if I'm getting a bit stronger on my legs but my arm is still useless - it takes me an hour to send a text sometimes.

Despite it all, Keith is keen to help others who have suffered strokes have the chance to recover. He therefore decided to raise money for the Stroke Association by walking a half marathon.

On June 21, starting from his own back garden in Castleford, he will set out to walk 13 miles. He plans to head out along the river towards Methley, eventually circling back to Castleford to finish.

Keith said his own experiences inspired him to attempt something big to raise money for the Stroke Association.

Keith's half marathon has inspired artwork by his friend Adele Barker (Image: Adele Barker)

"They do a lot to help people who've had strokes, including myself. They're unsung heroes. They've been struggling during Covid, and we really don't want to lose them," he said.

Stroke Association have reported the pandemic has cut their research budget in half and massively impacted survivor recovery.

Keith has been practising his route since January, and is prepared to take lots of breaks in the heat.

He is also running a raffle and silent auction to raise money for the charity, using prizes donated by local businesses, including a signed shirt from Castleford Tigers.

He is particularly thankful to his wife and son, Joyce and Trevor, as well as former co-workers and others who have helped him set up his fundraising efforts.

"I need to do something to help the charity. Anything that benefits this charity is fantastic," said Keith.

You can donate to Keith's fundraiser here.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."