ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Touching tribute to UK's longest serving postal worker as street is named in his memory

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Touching tribute to UK's longest serving postal worker as street is named in his memory

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/loca ... g-24053600

Hamish Menzies' wife Marion, grandson Lachie and son Calum unveil the new street name in his honour (Image: Stirling Observer)

A street in a new Callander housing development has been named in memory of the UK’s longest serving post office worker who died last year.

The street in the new housing estate built at Claish Farm has been named in honour of Hamish Menzies, who worked in the postal industry for 73 years until his death last April.

He was survived by wife Marion, son Calum and daughter-in-law Mairi as well as grandchildren Lachie and Morvyn.

Hamish Menzies Drive was officially opened last Friday, with Hamish’s family in attendance.

A well known character in the town, Hamish served as postmaster until his death at the age of 86.

Hamish started work at the Post Office as a 15–year–old telegram boy. At the age of 18 Hamish was called up to the Army to do his National Service and was posted to the former West Germany. During that period he discovered that telegram boys were posted to the busiest post office for the British Armed Forces.

Following his National Service, Hamish worked for 20 years as a van-driving postie, but for the last 40 years had been the postmaster in the town.

He was also leader of the Hamish Menzies Scots Dance Band.

The popular postie was so well respected that the town’s residents lined the streets – socially distanced – last April to bid farewell. They stood at their doorways and applauded as the funeral procession passed through the town. Callander Community Council wanted to honour Mr Menzies and urged members of the community to take part in the ‘Clap for Hamish’.

Hamish Menzies was the longest serving postal worker in the UK (Image: Daily Record)

Son Calum has taken over the running of the Post Office following his dad’s death. He this week said: “We were very humbled.

“It was a nice gesture and it’s going to be there forever now so it was a real honour. It was an emotional day for mum.

“We’d like to thank the community council, in particular Richard Johnson and the Callander community for the touching gesture.”

Richard Johnson, of Callander Community Council said: “Hamish was one of the real characters in Callander. He was of course the longest serving post master in the whole of the UK but he knew everyone and had a kind word for everyone. He constantly sang tunes while behind the post office counter and never seemed to be unhappy or annoyed with anyone. Everyone just loved him.

“At the unveiling Calum, his son, gave a short address and said his father always said people didn’t just come from Callander but they belonged to Callander and Calum hoped the people who will soon be moving into the new houses will feel the same.

“It was relatively easy to get the agreement for the street name, everyone I spoke to appreciated why the community wanted to remember Hamish, we had the Clap for Hamish but wanted something more permanent. I asked the Menzies family if they would be happy with a street name and they agreed.

“I then got agreement from the community council and approached Stirling Council. They suggested contacting Rural Stirling Housing Association because the road off the Mollands Straight still did not have a name. RSHA agreed and I agreed with the family the actual name of the road. I formally applied to Stirling Council for the road name and it was approved. Finally the developer, Lovells, agreed to the unveiling ceremony and helped with the arrangements.”
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."