ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Postman put parcel in Beccles wheelie-bin

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Postman put parcel in Beccles wheelie-bin

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

:arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/postman_put ... n_1_808104" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jigsaw fanatic Janet Grantham waited expectantly for several weeks for her latest challenge to arrive by post.

But the retired teacher has now been left trying to piece together the puzzle of why the postman decided to leave her parcel in her rubbish bin –only for it to be emptied by refuse collectors.

Mrs Grantham, 74, of Panxworth Road, South Walsham, reflected on the fact that there was not even the small consolation that it had been disposed of correctly – because the recyclable cardboard puzzle had been placed in her waste bin.

The retired teacher had sent off to a national newspaper for the puzzle, a colourful scene of British birds, and knew it was on its way after ringing to check last week.

She said: “I was away at the weekend and when I arrived home on Tuesday afternoon I found a note from the postman among my mail saying ‘parcel in wheelie bin, thanks’.

“When I went to check the bin there was nothing in it as it had been emptied earlier that day.”

Stressing that it was not her normal postman who was “very reliable”, she questioned the need to put a parcel in the bin.

“I have got neighbours on every side, all of whom would be happy to take in a parcel, or it could have been left at the village post office for me to pick up,” she said.

“I did not go away until 11am on Saturday and it must have been delivered that afternoon, although the postman got the date wrong on his note, implying it was on Friday.” Mrs Grantham, who used to teach at Thorpe House School for Girls, said she had handed in a letter of complaint to the sorting office in Acle and the woman on the counter had expressed amazement that any postman would leave a parcel in a bin. Still awaiting feedback from Royal Mail, Mrs Grantham said: “It is all the more annoying because when I rang the newspaper about a replacement puzzle, I was told there were no more left.”

Mrs Grantham’s disappointment is a virtual repeat of a case in Bungay three years ago when Caroline Norton lost a complete set of tapes for the cult political series The West Wing the same way – and was initially only offered a book of first class stamps by Royal Mail as an apology.

A Royal Mail spokesman said: “We would like to apologise to Mrs Grantham for the correct delivery procedures not being carried out when an attempt was made to deliver her package.

“A ‘Sorry, you were out’ card should have been posted through the door informing her that the package had been returned to the local delivery office and listing various options available to her to retrieve it.

“Our staff are always reminded of the appropriate action to take if a customer is unavailable to accept a delivery.

“Our customer service team are looking into the incident.”
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."

DGP1

Re: Postman put parcel in Beccles wheelie-bin

Post by DGP1 »

Our office doesn't have any P739s :nervous so we can't leave them :hmmmm
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
arnold cheshire

Post by arnold cheshire »

DGP1 wrote:Our office doesn't have any P739s :nervous so we can't leave them :hmmmm
every office has a p739 its the something for you card :nana
DGP1

Post by DGP1 »

bringon4dayweeks wrote:
DGP1 wrote:Our office doesn't have any P739s :nervous so we can't leave them :hmmmm
Oh we're supposed to have them but because of budget cuts we''ve not got any :nervous
arnold cheshire

Post by arnold cheshire »

DGP1 wrote:
bringon4dayweeks wrote:
Oh we're supposed to have them but because of budget cuts we''ve not got any :nervous
so when a customer is out what do you do?
DGP1

Post by DGP1 »

bringon4dayweeks wrote:
DGP1 wrote:
bringon4dayweeks wrote:
so when a customer is out what do you do?
put it in the wheelie bin :Very Happy ................personally, I bring it back to the office and try again the next day :Very Happy
not me

Post by not me »

Mrs Grantham’s disappointment is a virtual repeat of a case in Bungay three years ago when Caroline Norton lost a complete set of tapes for the cult political series The West Wing the same way – and was initially only offered a book of first class stamps by Royal Mail as an apology
and how many items were successfully delivered in this time?
regardless,people need to start following delivery procedures to cover their backs
plainpat
EX ROYAL MAIL
Location: You can't get any further east in the UK without going for a swim in the North Sea

Post by plainpat »

How did Beccles get into the header for this piece, when the woman lives in South Walsham and the sorting office was Acle?

That's the real puzzle :whistle
twoloops

Post by twoloops »

TopperGas

Post by TopperGas »

Can anybody explain why a postie would ever leave a parcel in a wheelie bin, as surely there's always the danger it will be emptied?
pieoftheday

Post by pieoftheday »

I've had lots of customers leaving notes or asking to leave it in the bin I'm out, when I refuse it's as though I'm being unhelpful
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

pieoftheday wrote:
01 Dec 2021, 09:24
I've had lots of customers leaving notes or asking to leave it in the bin I'm out, when I refuse it's as though I'm being unhelpful
Good practice.

This postie had an agreement with the resident - it didn't save his job when it went wrong viewtopic.php?f=18&t=102976
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."
twoloops

Post by twoloops »

Just be careful when your leaving your parcels anywhere & everywhere, not in, bring it back, keep your job.

https://twitter.com/de_cypher_101/statu ... 84609?s=21