ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

UK GOVERNMENT: WE WILL TRANSFORM LAST MILE DELIVERIES

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR

UK GOVERNMENT: WE WILL TRANSFORM LAST MILE DELIVERIES

Post by POSTMAN »

https://postandparcel.info/143754/news/ ... eliveries/

The document states: “We will support and encourage modal shift of freight from road to more sustainable alternatives, such as rail, cargo bike and inland waterways.

The UK Government has published its Net Zero strategy setting out how the UK will deliver on its commitment to reach net zero emissions by 2050.

This will be supported by a package of policies including:
• Investing in the capacity and capability of the rail network for freight, including infill electrification schemes;
• The Mode Shift Revenue Support and Waterborne Freight Grant Schemes;
• Introducing a rail freight growth target; and
• ‘Last mile’ measures to support more sustainable freight in urban areas”

The strategy also pledges to:

“Transform last mile deliveries, with zero emission HGVs and decarbonised deliveries made possible through the adoption of new delivery models, supported by accurate data and digital innovations which drive greater efficiencies”.

UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson commented in the foreword: “We will make sure what you pay for green, clean electricity is competitive with carbon-laden gas, and with most of our electricity coming from the wind farms of the North Sea or state-of-the-art British nuclear reactors we will reduce our vulnerability to sudden price rises caused by Freight and logistics.
I Wrote
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.

2yearpostie

Re: UK GOVERNMENT: WE WILL TRANSFORM LAST MILE DELIVERIES

Post by 2yearpostie »

Boris sweetheart, you dont own any last mile delivery companies anymore, the uk gov sold them off, so as they are all private companies now, sod off.
EdRush

Post by EdRush »

Delivery must be decarbonised irrespective of political leaning, this is especially the case now that private companies control the market and only care about financial gain

COP26 is next week... how many more will it take?
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Post by SpacePhoenix »

EdRush wrote:
23 Oct 2021, 20:29
Delivery must be decarbonised irrespective of political leaning, this is especially the case now that private companies control the market and only care about financial gain

We're decades away from mass use of electric vehicles being viable. The National Grid will probably need a massive upgrade to be able to handle the extra load. Extra power stations will probably be required and battery technology will have to improve to enable really fast charging without wrecking a battery
grchpo

Post by grchpo »

2yearpostie wrote:
23 Oct 2021, 15:24
Boris sweetheart, you dont own any last mile delivery companies anymore, the uk gov sold them off, so as they are all private companies now, sod off.
Boris talks a load of nonsense, don't believe a word he says about anything, not so long ago he said vaccinations would solve covid, total nonsense.
EdRush

Post by EdRush »

Perhaps EV batteries arent the only solution.. but they are not decades away from banning the sale of petol/diesel vehicles, by 2030 is the current Government mandate

The technical challenges you bring up are more than likely to be solved concurrently as the take up grows exponentially. However EV cells do have a 10-15 year lifespan and then they must be recycled. Which could potentially be a colossal pile of toxic s**t that will end up in landfill.

Currently China is the only country with lax enough health and safely law to carry out that job!
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Post by SpacePhoenix »

EdRush wrote:
23 Oct 2021, 22:06
Perhaps EV batteries arent the only solution.. but they are not decades away from banning the sale of petol/diesel vehicles, by 2030 is the current Government mandate

The technical challenges you bring up are more than likely to be solved concurrently as the take up grows exponentially. However EV cells do have a 10-15 year lifespan and then they must be recycled. Which could potentially be a colossal pile of toxic s**t that will end up in landfill.

Currently China is the only country with lax enough health and safely law to carry out that job!
You've also got the environmental damage caused when the rare earth metals are mined.

When it comes to hydrogen how much CO2 is released from making a tank's worth of petrol compared with making a tanks worth of hydrogen?
EdRush

Post by EdRush »

You've also got the environmental damage caused when the rare earth metals are mined.

When it comes to hydrogen how much CO2 is released from making a tank's worth of petrol compared with making a tanks worth of hydrogen?
White oil.. indeed

CO2 apparently can be captured at production site and stored, but that kind of infastructure doesn't exist and really is long term thinking..
stripeypaw

Post by stripeypaw »

How about using bicycles on delivery and instead of using loads of Van's.Mail could be put in pouch boxes for postmen to collect on their rounds.
Sir Henry

Post by Sir Henry »

Nah the box thing was utter s**t. People arguing over boxes, "Fred doesn't use this box he has a car" I'm not Fred I don't have a f***ing car so shift your bags. Walking in as a part timer to find your Prepper long gone and only half your frame done. Then the driver f***s off before you're bagged up so you spend an age waiting for your first drop. I waited until 11:40 in the snow for my bag drop one winter. Then the drivers would push the oversized parcels you left out for them into the bagbox. Cuntrags.
"A third of the world's farmland is now useless due to soil degradation, yet we still keep producing mouths to feed. And what's you answer to that? Energy saving lightbulbs?"
Norfolk 'N' Chance

Post by Norfolk 'N' Chance »

SpacePhoenix wrote:
23 Oct 2021, 21:05
EdRush wrote:

We're decades away from mass use of electric vehicles being viable. The National Grid will probably need a massive upgrade to be able to handle the extra load. Extra power stations will probably be required and battery technology will have to improve to enable really fast charging without wrecking a battery
I have to agree. The press are very silent on this and i guess none are brave enough to rock the boat and do an expose on the true picture of the UK's electrical assets. Having worked in the power sector for almost 30 years, things have been in decline for decades. The national grid frequently issues "Inadequate System Margins" and these are much more frequent now then they were even just 5 years ago. An inadequate system margin is a heads up announcement that there is a risk that the UK demand for power for the day might not be met. This demand is usually met by firing up standby Combined cycle gas turbine stations, that are costly to run. CCGT can get up to speed and into generation is as little as 3minutes, some even being unmanned and able to be fired up remotely.

The investment for electric vehicle infrastruture was being talked about 20 years ago! Very few companies wanted to stick their neck out and invest heavily and so hear we are 20 years later playing catchup and the costs will most likely have doubled. Whilst NG and the UK total demand and the physical capacity to generate it is one thing. There are far more worrying issues closer to home.... the last mile of electricity distribution if you will.

In almost all older towns and cities in the UK. The majority of the underground electricity distribution network is supplied by cables that are of a mixture of modern XLPE with aluminium conductors and but also and more commonly older PILC (Paper Lead Covered) cables with copper conductors. Some PILC cables date back to the 1930's, but most are probably circa 50 years old. They are an ageing asset and will at some point become life expired. Loading these cables up, by placing longer duration high loads on them will only lead to more faults and failures.

Personally I am a supporter of EV's however I think we will see a lot more roadworks happening so that distribution networks can be upgraded and reinforced in order to fully cope with the demands of multiple EV charging in every street.

Sorry to have taken you down a bit of a rabbit hole on that one.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Post by SpacePhoenix »

Norfolk 'N' Chance wrote:
25 Oct 2021, 08:31
SpacePhoenix wrote:
23 Oct 2021, 21:05
EdRush wrote:

I have to agree. The press are very silent on this and i guess none are brave enough to rock the boat and do an expose on the true picture of the UK's electrical assets. Having worked in the power sector for almost 30 years, things have been in decline for decades. The national grid frequently issues "Inadequate System Margins" and these are much more frequent now then they were even just 5 years ago. An inadequate system margin is a heads up announcement that there is a risk that the UK demand for power for the day might not be met. This demand is usually met by firing up standby Combined cycle gas turbine stations, that are costly to run. CCGT can get up to speed and into generation is as little as 3minutes, some even being unmanned and able to be fired up remotely.

The investment for electric vehicle infrastruture was being talked about 20 years ago! Very few companies wanted to stick their neck out and invest heavily and so hear we are 20 years later playing catchup and the costs will most likely have doubled. Whilst NG and the UK total demand and the physical capacity to generate it is one thing. There are far more worrying issues closer to home.... the last mile of electricity distribution if you will.

In almost all older towns and cities in the UK. The majority of the underground electricity distribution network is supplied by cables that are of a mixture of modern XLPE with aluminium conductors and but also and more commonly older PILC (Paper Lead Covered) cables with copper conductors. Some PILC cables date back to the 1930's, but most are probably circa 50 years old. They are an ageing asset and will at some point become life expired. Loading these cables up, by placing longer duration high loads on them will only lead to more faults and failures.

Personally I am a supporter of EV's however I think we will see a lot more roadworks happening so that distribution networks can be upgraded and reinforced in order to fully cope with the demands of multiple EV charging in every street.

Sorry to have taken you down a bit of a rabbit hole on that one.
Are PILC cables filled with oil (presumably as an insulator)? Locally there's been a few places where the local electric board are having to replace oil filled cables
Norfolk 'N' Chance

Post by Norfolk 'N' Chance »

Some PILC cables can be oil filled. Oil (or Fluid filled cables, as the industry prefers to call them) are used on Extra High Voltage cable routes. So they will be in the 33kv to 132Kv range. Its been a few years since i was in the industry but your average Fluid Cable repair is around £100k and thats for a straightforward repair! Finding leaks etc takes a lot of time and is costly.

The trouble is theres thousands of miles of these FFC all over the country and they too are ageing and coming to the end of their working life.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Post by SpacePhoenix »

Probably within the next 10-20 years all the utilities are going to have a very sizeable chunk of their infrastructure that'll need replacing. No idea what the state of play would be with telecoms, but I'd imagine that there must even be telecoms cabling that'll need replacing
Mr Rush

Post by Mr Rush »

stripeypaw wrote:
24 Oct 2021, 23:01
How about using bicycles on delivery and instead of using loads of Van's.Mail could be put in pouch boxes for postmen to collect on their rounds.
I'm afraid the Pashley Mailstars are currently helping our African equivalents meet their emissions targets.
Any Questions?
Yeah, how do I get out of this chickenshit outfit?