not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Sent back out whilst others do overtime

06 Oct 2020, 16:47

This is an issue that has been going on a few years in my office. Posties who might get back to the office half an hour or so early (sometimes more on very light days) are being sent back out with more work to do, parcels or loops, whilst at the very same time there are others out and about doing overtime.

So essentially some people are being forced to do extra work for no extra pay, whilst others are doing extra work and being paid for it.

I have no problem with working my hours, but it is just so wrong and unfair to be sent back out whilst others are doing their overtime. It just seems like total madness to me and im amazed that our union rep hasnt done more to sort this out.

Im not at all complaining about those who are ghosting, i occasionally do some overtime myself. Its the way that our DOM is knowingly letting overtimers ghost and not have to work the hours they are paid, whilst sending out people who arent doing overtime.

Is there anything that can be done about this? Its really stressing me out now, because its not often i get back early but whenever i do im getting sent back out.

Not worded all this very well due to my usual absolute fatigue after work, but would appreciate any responses.

06 Oct 2020, 16:59

they never favour the posties who dont/cant work overtime. its as if they think you are being deliberately awkward. dont go back early if you dont/cant work overtime. take your break, do all your kill offs, slow down when out, knock at neighbours, string it out if needs be, but just don't go back early.

06 Oct 2020, 19:01

This was happening in the office I work at I put a grievance in had a resolution meeting with his boss stopped overnight.

06 Oct 2020, 19:18

billycat wrote:This was happening in the office I work at I put a grievance in had a resolution meeting with his boss stopped overnight.

Really? Im surprised by that, i just assumed that despite everyone knowing that its wrong/unfair etc, nothing could be done about it.

Ive thought about putting a grievance in, but dont really know how to go about doing this. Or ive considered trying to email my DOMs boss or people higher up in Royal Mail but dont know where id get the relevant email address!

06 Oct 2020, 21:10

mjd24 wrote:This is an issue that has been going on a few years in my office. Posties who might get back to the office half an hour or so early (sometimes more on very light days) are being sent back out with more work to do, parcels or loops, whilst at the very same time there are others out and about doing overtime.

So essentially some people are being forced to do extra work for no extra pay, whilst others are doing extra work and being paid for it.

I have no problem with working my hours, but it is just so wrong and unfair to be sent back out whilst others are doing their overtime. It just seems like total madness to me and im amazed that our union rep hasnt done more to sort this out.

Im not at all complaining about those who are ghosting, i occasionally do some overtime myself. Its the way that our DOM is knowingly letting overtimers ghost and not have to work the hours they are paid, whilst sending out people who arent doing overtime.

Is there anything that can be done about this? Its really stressing me out now, because its not often i get back early but whenever i do im getting sent back out.

Not worded all this very well due to my usual absolute fatigue after work, but would appreciate any responses.

Aye, sounds like my office

There are the managers "specials" who will go round and deliver a few tracked items on another round for like 3 hours of overtime and still get back to the office on time, and then there are those that are on the DOMs hit list who will get sent back out to do additional work (unpaid) wherever possible if they arrive back to the office early. And that is in spite of others that have already finished and have gone home.

Its annoying and frustrating but the only thing that you can do is stop worrying about others and focus on you. So just work your hours and get back to the office at a time that would mean sending you back again would mean that you would have to do overtime, and its overtime that you are not compelled to do.

06 Oct 2020, 21:14

But i just think surely we shouldnt have to just accept this. If its clearly wrong and unfair and in a way discriminatory, why is something not done to stop it?

Most days i dont get back early so it doesnt affect me, but i still hear of others who have got back early and been sent back out, and it really bothers me! Which i know sounds stupid and i should try and not even think about it.

07 Oct 2020, 08:10

postslippete wrote:
mjd24 wrote:This is an issue that has been going on a few years in my office. Posties who might get back to the office half an hour or so early (sometimes more on very light days) are being sent back out with more work to do, parcels or loops, whilst at the very same time there are others out and about doing overtime.

There are the managers "specials" who will go round and deliver a few tracked items on another round for like 3 hours of overtime and still get back to the office on time, and then there are those that are on the DOMs hit list who will get sent back out to do additional work (unpaid) wherever possible if they arrive back to the office early. And that is in spite of others that have already finished and have gone home.

Its annoying and frustrating but the only thing that you can do is stop worrying about others and focus on you. So just work your hours and get back to the office at a time that would mean sending you back again would mean that you would have to do overtime, and its overtime that you are not compelled to do.

additional work (unpaid)
There getting paid he's just making them work there hours
Not backing a manager but there getting it tight now if your not out your 4.15 delivery span.
They get a email every morning from area manager with all the postie's leaving times duty spans the list goes on , but any one doing extra ot he should be using that as well to pay them the hours they work

07 Oct 2020, 09:56

It works both ways, I take my breaks, I don’t use a trolley I break my walk down to make them lighter, on light days I stretch it out & finish on time, a few years ago I would have gone back & chucked D2Ds in, not now, on heavy days I chuck 2/3/4 loops & finish on time, it’s simple really :arrrghhh

07 Oct 2020, 10:36

twoloops wrote:It works both ways, I take my breaks, I don’t use a trolley I break my walk down to make them lighter, on light days I stretch it out & finish on time, a few years ago I would have gone back & chucked D2Ds in, not now, on heavy days I chuck 2/3/4 loops & finish on time, it’s simple really :arrrghhh

What happens if you injure yourself as a result of not using the trolley that you're meant to use?

07 Oct 2020, 12:42

Are you doing your lapsing? At our if you don’t take it out but still get back early your sent out again. Just get back on time, if your early go and retry the places you have 739’d.

07 Oct 2020, 17:59

Does anyone know an email address i can contact to try and get something done about whats going on?

07 Oct 2020, 18:17

mjd24 wrote:Does anyone know an email address i can contact to try and get something done about whats going on?

might be one or a number on your wage slip on the back

07 Oct 2020, 18:38

SpacePhoenix wrote:
twoloops wrote:It works both ways, I take my breaks, I don’t use a trolley I break my walk down to make them lighter, on light days I stretch it out & finish on time, a few years ago I would have gone back & chucked D2Ds in, not now, on heavy days I chuck 2/3/4 loops & finish on time, it’s simple really :arrrghhh

What happens if you injure yourself as a result of not using the trolley that you're meant to use?

No need, I split the loops too, I`ll never carry a heavy bag or use a trolley and I`m considered one of the slowest in my office.

If anyone comments, I`ll start using an lwt and get even slower :)

07 Oct 2020, 19:05

postslippete wrote:

The ghost overtime is frustrating but 'being sent back out for no pay' if you get back early is quite frankly bollox, you ARE paid till your finish time. If you can like you said the others do, do the overtime AND get back on time, go for it . Nobody can really argue or grumble at being sent back out to work until the time the company pays you to work until.

07 Oct 2020, 19:08

Clocking in/out machines should solve this. I say, should..........

07 Oct 2020, 20:55

You are moaning because you are expected to work your hours? Can't see that you really have a case here, my round takes me to my time every day, so it's hard to have much sympathy that you or others are forced to finish the same time as me? I do think that ghost overtime will become a thing of the past and sooner rather than later and then I am sure you will no longer feel to hard done by. Because when no one does overtime, everybody will have to go back out with lapsing to take them up to their full hours, everyday of the year!

08 Oct 2020, 16:39

rambo1 wrote:
postslippete wrote:

The ghost overtime is frustrating but 'being sent back out for no pay' if you get back early is quite frankly bollox, you ARE paid till your finish time. If you can like you said the others do, do the overtime AND get back on time, go for it . Nobody can really argue or grumble at being sent back out to work until the time the company pays you to work until.

I think my point was (or meant to be) being sent back out for no EXTRA pay like the people doing their overtime within duty time.

I just cant get my head around how anyone can think this is ok.

08 Oct 2020, 16:40

rambo1 wrote:Clocking in/out machines should solve this. I say, should..........

Yes im rather looking forward to clocking in machines, hopefully will sort out a few issues.

08 Oct 2020, 16:41

Judgee wrote:You are moaning because you are expected to work your hours? Can't see that you really have a case here, my round takes me to my time every day, so it's hard to have much sympathy that you or others are forced to finish the same time as me? I do think that ghost overtime will become a thing of the past and sooner rather than later and then I am sure you will no longer feel to hard done by. Because when no one does overtime, everybody will have to go back out with lapsing to take them up to their full hours, everyday of the year!

Clearly im moaning that many of us are being made to work out hours whilst at the same time those doing overtime are not.

09 Oct 2020, 09:59

mjd24 wrote:
rambo1 wrote:
postslippete wrote:

I think my point was (or meant to be) being sent back out for no EXTRA pay like the people doing their overtime within duty time.

I just cant get my head around how anyone can think this is ok.

I agree, doing extra should be paid for however long it takes you past your normal finish time, it's honestly just not good business sense to pay someone a stat amount even if it doesn't take them that long. But we are talking royal mail here, where nothing makes sense. I suspect if my plan were imposed those doing extra half walks or whatever, wouldn't bother hence headache for the Dom..... and around and around we go...

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 3   1, 2, 3