not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Does medical suspension overrule annual leave?

27 Jul 2020, 21:15

Hi all,

I was medically suspended two days before my annual leave was about to start, so am I on annual leave or medical suspension? What supersedes what?

Thanks

27 Jul 2020, 21:50

Annual leave should still be taken during a period of suspension however if the employer insists you are contactable during the period of suspension for meetings and OH appointments then you would be entitled to take the annual leave at another time.

Inform them of the situation but make it clear that if they want you to take your annual leave then there should be no contact during this period.

28 Jul 2020, 10:52

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and with that benefit we'd all have 20/20 vision, but it should have been clarified at the point of suspension what happens when the 48 hours is up. Is there any paperwork covering the suspension event? What does it say, exactly?
Put it this way, it would be, IMO, unfair to resume suspension on the day you are due to return to work. What sort of a "holiday" are you going to have thinking all the while about your return to work. For me, the business has used your holiday to resolve their self imposed problem.

28 Jul 2020, 17:53

What the hell is a medical suspension, I have never heard of that.

28 Jul 2020, 19:27

If "medical suspension" is classed as sick then wouldn't taking annual leave in the middle make it get classed as two lots of sick?

29 Jul 2020, 00:14

POSTMAN wrote:What the hell is a medical suspension, I have never heard of that.

It is what it sounds like.
Suspension on medical grounds.
If being at work is considered to be a danger to your health or the health of other members of staff.
It is usually the end game if the business fails to or believes it cannot make reasonable adjustments, it can also happen during pregnancy.

In the present circumstances it's what would happen if someone refused to self-isolate after returning from Spain.

29 Jul 2020, 18:40

SpacePhoenix wrote:If "medical suspension" is classed as sick then wouldn't taking annual leave in the middle make it get classed as two lots of sick?

No, there is a function to link the absences together on PSP that makes it one absence

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1