not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Going through a red light...consequences?

26 Jun 2020, 22:21

Thinking I may have gone through a red light at a traffic light which has a camera. It is touch and go whether I made it through before it went red. I didn't see a flash, but that's because I wasn't looking in my wing mirrors to check.

Not going to make excuses. I may or may have screwed up. May have may have not got away with it. Though it's not like I was speeding through a clear red light. The light was amber, but may have switched to red centimetres before I got to the line. It was close to call.

Correct me if I am wrong - I assume the front of your vehicle needs to pass clear of the white line painted on the road before the light turns red to avoid a fine. Therefore I assume that if the rest of your vehicle is passing over the white line when the light is red this is fine as long as the front of your car got over the line in time. As a lorry could easily go through a light when the light is green, but the rear end may pass over the line when the light is red.

Anyway...

What is the typical action of a line manager/DOM in this situation. Pass the fine over to me and I get a slap on the wrist or do they take this down conduct code or worse?

No points on my own license as it stands. No history of conduct issues etc.

Hopefully I didn't trigger the camera and just made it through.

27 Jun 2020, 09:32

3 points on your licence & you pay the fine, no grief from manager or that's what happened when I was caught speeding.

27 Jun 2020, 15:25

don't be an ''amber gambler''.

28 Jun 2020, 13:17

with any luck you will be taken off driving :Very Happy :dance

28 Jun 2020, 14:24

Doesn't it also depend on whether attempting to stop at the red light would cause an accident (vehicle behind running into you) or if you'd end up in a dangerous position?

28 Jun 2020, 14:47

First offence youll be fine, but if you have any more driving incidents or accident they will take you down conduct.

28 Jun 2020, 15:06

norris9 wrote:....................... Though it's not like I was speeding through a clear red light. The light was amber, ...................

Could have been painful for somebody........!!!!!

UK Highway code: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway ... ng-traffic

AMBER means ‘Stop’ at the stop line. You may go on only if the AMBER appears after you have crossed the stop line or are so close to it that to pull up might cause an accident

29 Jun 2020, 13:29

mags999 wrote:with any luck you will be taken off driving :Very Happy :dance

Nice, walking duties finish early. :nana

on a serious note.... do they actually tend to take you off driving for speeding/red light offences/parking ticket offences etc? or is it just if you have an accident?

30 Jun 2020, 21:34

you think because front wheels are over the line you'll be fine?
You do know we have amber lights to tell you in advanced the light is changing to red, telling you to stop, not at red .. at amber

30 Jun 2020, 21:45

gimba wrote:you think because front wheels are over the line you'll be fine?
You do know we have amber lights to tell you in advanced the light is changing to red, telling you to stop, not at red .. at amber

If the OP had another vehicle close behind then trying to stop for the red light would cause an accident

30 Jun 2020, 22:58

mags999 wrote:parking ticket offences

I was under the impression RM vans can park anywhere double yellows, crossings etc because we carry the Queens crest?

01 Jul 2020, 08:04

nice, got people on a forum lecturing me over going through an amber light.

01 Jul 2020, 09:12

norris9 wrote:

I would not get too worked up about comments made etc. I'm not sure how old you are, but by the time you get to your late 50's, there will be times in your life when you will have gone through a traffic light on red. I believe it's called the law of averages. Anyhow, my understanding is should there be a fine, Royal Mail will get you to pay. A decent manager will also say don't do it again and that will be the end of it.

03 Jul 2020, 20:19

Startingover wrote:
norris9 wrote:

I would not get too worked up about comments made etc. I'm not sure how old you are, but by the time you get to your late 50's, there will be times in your life when you will have gone through a traffic light on red. I believe it's called the law of averages. Anyhow, my understanding is should there be a fine, Royal Mail will get you to pay. A decent manager will also say don't do it again and that will be the end of it.

I agree, no need to worry about being criticized on here, someone at our place got speedcamered earlier this year,it took about 2 weeks to filter through and the Dom passed it on to her to deal with, she went on the course to avoid points and that was the last of it, no further action was taken regarding conduct at work etc.

04 Jul 2020, 18:19

norris9 wrote:

But you in your post said red? get your facts right but I personally would not worry about it as far more important things are happening these days!

07 Jul 2020, 20:24

SpacePhoenix wrote:

If the OP had another vehicle close behind then trying to stop for the red light would cause an accident

Lights stay amber for 4-6 seconds... that is plenty of time to notice the change, regardless of if someone is behind you, you have brake lights to let them know you're braking

07 Jul 2020, 21:22

gimba wrote:
SpacePhoenix wrote:

Lights stay amber for 4-6 seconds... that is plenty of time to notice the change, regardless of if someone is behind you, you have brake lights to let them know you're braking

Would you trust a heavy lorry like an artic to be able to pull up quick enough behind you? :cuppa

10 Jul 2020, 21:11

SpacePhoenix wrote:
gimba wrote:
SpacePhoenix wrote:

Would you trust a heavy lorry like an artic to be able to pull up quick enough behind you? :cuppa

yes

10 Jul 2020, 21:28

gimba wrote:
SpacePhoenix wrote:
gimba wrote:
SpacePhoenix wrote:

yes

You might want to have a read through http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/stopping.htm

Yesterday, 06:24

SpacePhoenix wrote:
gimba wrote:
SpacePhoenix wrote:
gimba wrote:
SpacePhoenix wrote:

yes

You might want to have a read through http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/stopping.htm

This is to do with stopping distances, I'm fully aware, and this is also a reason lights go on amber for X amount of seconds, to allow more than enough time to stop safely, have you read it yourself? ... Actually never mind you haven't as you jumped a stop light with plenty of time to react

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 2   1, 2