not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Job and finish still allowed?

16 Feb 2020, 17:38

clashcityrocker wrote:Welcome to the twilight zone that is RM
Full-time - but never work full time hours
Part time - but never work part time hours
Manager - but doesn't manage
Union rep - but doesn't represent anyone
Workplace Coach - but never coaches anyone

The disparity between job title and job description is glaringly obvious.

Spot on - Agree with everything there, but would also add;-

Many PT frames bigger than full-time.

Some designated training walks more complicated than non-training walks.

Non workplace coaches given new-starters to work with.

Union rep often just the managers lackey.

My main peeve is coming in at 830 to a barely half-prepped frame, to see Fters half-way through bagging up having already arranged what extras they are going to take out on OT :crazy:

16 Feb 2020, 21:41

Woody Guthrie wrote:Royal Mail say at national level they want all paid hours worked but managers at local level encourage job and finish because it keeps the staff happy and makes life easier for the manager.

...until their manager decides that they're going to take hours out of that office

17 Feb 2020, 18:35

SpacePhoenix wrote:
Woody Guthrie wrote:Royal Mail say at national level they want all paid hours worked but managers at local level encourage job and finish because it keeps the staff happy and makes life easier for the manager.

...until their manager decides that they're going to take hours out of that office

No.
Royal Mail has been taking hours out of delivery offices for at least 20 years.
Job and finish is still around.

17 Feb 2020, 18:45

Well Dom says my time is 730 till 130, yet full timers 7-236

Can't get my head around why any office would agree to having different finish times for full and part-time staff, it's as dumb as a box of rocks.

Our part-time staff finish at exactly the same time as full-time staff. They just start later.

The duties are the same size because they were just built as duties during the revision then the indoor was built around them.

Part-time staff leave the office at the same time as full-time staff because they're paired with full-time staff.

It's not f***ing rocket science.
Some managers and reps are muppets.

17 Feb 2020, 20:17

I don't get this either. All except 2 of our van shares are FT/PT pairings where the FTer preps both duties in readiness for the PTer's arrival and they leave together and return together. The 2 exceptions are both PT/PT pairings that are prepped as part of the indoor prep plan by FTers so that they are more or less ready to leave the office at the same time as FT/PT pairings.

So much for the much heralded One Plan. All DOs performing their work in the same way as each other? My arse!

17 Feb 2020, 21:09

Woody Guthrie wrote:
Well Dom says my time is 730 till 130, yet full timers 7-236

Can't get my head around why any office would agree to having different finish times for full and part-time staff, it's as dumb as a box of rocks.

Our part-time staff finish at exactly the same time as full-time staff. They just start later.

The duties are the same size because they were just built as duties during the revision then the indoor was built around them.

Part-time staff leave the office at the same time as full-time staff because they're paired with full-time staff.

It's not f***ing rocket science.
Some managers and reps are muppets.

Same as my office, I assumed all would be the same because it makes sense and works most of the time unless the ft who has to double prep is a bit slow but then they will get assistance on the prep and no one can get van keys/specials untill all the rounds are fully prepped

18 Feb 2020, 13:56

Ozzvaldo wrote:I don't get this either. All except 2 of our van shares are FT/PT pairings where the FTer preps both duties in readiness for the PTer's arrival and they leave together and return together. The 2 exceptions are both PT/PT pairings that are prepped as part of the indoor prep plan by FTers so that they are more or less ready to leave the office at the same time as FT/PT pairings.

So much for the much heralded One Plan. All DOs performing their work in the same way as each other? My arse!

It’s ridiculous, the same at our place full time is literally finish one hour on average before part-timers some part time is coming at 9 o’clock in about 2 to 3 then the full time as you start at 6:45 Are going home at1 o’clock, how on earth can a business justify that it’s strange to say the least but then the Royal mail have the strangers working practices I have ever known. Surely this can’t go on is totally unfair a part timer working almost as many hours as a full timer what is being done about this where are the union reps why aren’t they stopping this? We should surely have full time is either working on their own with a HTT or a single than duty they should also have bigger walks are made to work more or less the hours I understand each day is different but it should be say 20 minutes when you try and if they get back about one hour earlier why aren’t they prepping door to doors for the part-timers who often stay on to do the leaflets whilst the full timers have gone home

18 Feb 2020, 15:00

matthew68 wrote: It’s ridiculous, the same at our place full time is literally finish one hour on average before part-timers some part time is coming at 9 o’clock in about 2 to 3 then the full time as you start at 6:45 Are going home at1 o’clock, how on earth can a business justify that it’s strange to say the least but then the Royal mail have the strangers working practices I have ever known. Surely this can’t go on is totally unfair a part timer working almost as many hours as a full timer what is being done about this where are the union reps why aren’t they stopping this? We should surely have full time is either working on their own with a HTT or a single than duty they should also have bigger walks are made to work more or less the hours I understand each day is different but it should be say 20 minutes when you try and if they get back about one hour earlier why aren’t they prepping door to doors for the part-timers who often stay on to do the leaflets whilst the full timers have gone home

ft 6;45(ish) to 1;15 (ish) = 6 1/2 (ish) per day = 32 1/2hrs worked per week (plus breaks), so there working correctly if they would just take a break
pt 9;00(ish) to 2;00(ish)=5 hrs per day= 25hrs per week , so there working correctly.

Just accept that people on different contracts have different start and finish times.

18 Feb 2020, 15:46

leolion855 wrote:
Just accept that people on different contracts have different start and finish times.

How do they work together on van share then?

18 Feb 2020, 15:59

clashcityrocker wrote:
leolion855 wrote:

How do they work together on van share then?

Most full timers ( in my office at least) are single rurals

22 Feb 2020, 19:03

leolion855 wrote:
matthew68 wrote: It’s ridiculous, the same at our place full time is literally finish one hour on average before part-timers some part time is coming at 9 o’clock in about 2 to 3 then the full time as you start at 6:45 Are going home at1 o’clock, how on earth can a business justify that it’s strange to say the least but then the Royal mail have the strangers working practices I have ever known. Surely this can’t go on is totally unfair a part timer working almost as many hours as a full timer what is being done about this where are the union reps why aren’t they stopping this? We should surely have full time is either working on their own with a HTT or a single than duty they should also have bigger walks are made to work more or less the hours I understand each day is different but it should be say 20 minutes when you try and if they get back about one hour earlier why aren’t they prepping door to doors for the part-timers who often stay on to do the leaflets whilst the full timers have gone home

ft 6;45(ish) to 1;15 (ish) = 6 1/2 (ish) per day = 32 1/2hrs worked per week (plus breaks), so there working correctly if they would just take a break
pt 9;00(ish) to 2;00(ish)=5 hrs per day= 25hrs per week , so there working correctly.

most ft at our place work with part time in van , pt normally finish on there time but full timers justgo home early, as part timers told to start 30 minutes after full time!I don’t get how a manager lets this happen as surely they know how unfair this is? He bangs on about cut backs yet ft go home early I give up!

22 Feb 2020, 23:17

mlw wrote:
leolion855 wrote:

most ft at our place work with part time in van , pt normally finish on there time but full timers justgo home early, as part timers told to start 30 minutes after full time!I don’t get how a manager lets this happen as surely they know how unfair this is? He bangs on about cut backs yet ft go home early I give up!

Your both FT OR PT finish at the same time cut back my arse but some people ie PT don't see the work before they get in the workplace and start their duties.

23 Feb 2020, 20:33

clashcityrocker wrote:Welcome to the twilight zone that is RM
Full-time - but never work full time hours
Part time - but never work part time hours
Manager - but doesn't manage
Union rep - but doesn't represent anyone
Workplace Coach - but never coaches anyone

The disparity between job title and job description is glaringly obvious.

lol. This made me laugh......... because it's very true.

I am a part timer and I walk into my depot to start my shift whilst the full timers are bagging up....... I go to my frame for the day and it's usually empty at worst or has 2 boxes of mail to throw off at best + sorting all parcels + redirections + bagging up. Once I came in and a full timer was wheeling his york out to go load up his van......my frame was stark naked empty.

What are the managers doing? these full timers will be finishing 40 minutes to an hour earlier than me. They get to job and finish and I am left to go over my time.

23 Feb 2020, 21:18

Did you ask your manager why is not your walk fully prepped?
Keep asking him and hopefully he will sort that out, also you can tell him before you go out that you have to leave loops behind as your frame wasn`t prepped and you don`t want to go over your finishing time.
You have 2 options there, choose one :)

23 Feb 2020, 22:52

Janet Brum wrote:Did you ask your manager why is not your walk fully prepped?
Keep asking him and hopefully he will sort that out, also you can tell him before you go out that you have to leave loops behind as your frame wasn`t prepped and you don`t want to go over your finishing time.
You have 2 options there, choose one :)

that's the problem with being a part timer.....

you are moved about....you have no idea how long the job is going to take...even when you are out there you don't really know how much longer it's going to take you.

Previous page Next page

Page 2 of 2   1, 2