not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

Shared maternity/paternity leave

08 Feb 2020, 13:30

Hello all. My wife is pregnant and due in June. I’ve worked for Royal Mail for 2 years...I have spoken to my DOM about shared maternity/paternity leave, he is happy to approve this as my wife is self employed and needs to return ASAP, what I would like to know is, would I be entitled to any pay or would it be without pay? My DOM has told me it would be unpaid but not sure if he’s right???

08 Feb 2020, 14:13

Congrats, you get 2 weeks off full pay when the baby arrives.

I also took shared paternity leave 2 years ago with my first child. My partner took the first 9 months after birth and then I had 3 months. Unpaid. My manager printed the policy off for me at the time and that said its unpaid.
Maternity leave is 6 months full pay but unsure if you can use that if your partner takes no leave!?

08 Feb 2020, 14:56

https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/mrm/Bei ... ummary.pdf

08 Feb 2020, 15:58

I took shared paternity leave for a few months at the same time as my wife (2 weeks full pay) and received statouray shared paternity pay (£148 per week) from Royal Mail after the 2 weeks, you just need the right forms.

08 Feb 2020, 19:14

fg84 wrote:I took shared paternity leave for a few months at the same time as my wife (2 weeks full pay) and received statouray shared paternity pay (£148 per week) from Royal Mail after the 2 weeks, you just need the right forms.

Thanks for the replies guys.. seen a few people mention statutory pay for the shared leave, my DOM told me it would be unpaid so it’s something I will mention to him next week... would you by any chance know what forms I’d need to apply for the statutory pay. Thanks

08 Feb 2020, 21:51

You need a matb1 form and the shared parental leave request forms which HR gave me, they should give you one for yourself and one for your partner to fill in.
Your partner also needs her own forms from her employer.
I was told by managers it was unpaid which was a load of rubbish, I did the research my self. The stat pay is abit crap but better than nothing.

09 Feb 2020, 15:56

Basically your manager is confusing different types of leave.

Maternity leave is only for the person who gives birth (and is paid, depending on length of service as there is a minimum qualification period)

Paternity leave is for the partner of the person who gives birth (2 weeks paid leave following the birth, doesn't have to be taken immediately though)

Shared Parental leave is what you are asking for, which is instead of you partner taking maternity leave, you are taking paid parental leave instead and she is waiving her maternity pay (although you mention she is self employed, so I'm not sure it applies here anyway).

From the link provided by Postman, your manager is assuming you want to use Ordinary Parental Leave, which is unpaid.

So to clarify, you tell them you are after forms for shared parental leave, if he is of no help, contact HR

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1