not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Deicing vehicles & engine idling during meal stop?

05 Feb 2020, 21:39

Hi folks two questions here? I am on a deep rural delivery and just recently i was asked into the office with our deputy manager to discuss my van engine idling?
During the discussion within which i was threatened with mail integrity because my van had been idling on occasion for 2/3 mins at some stops (P739ing?) It was also raised
by the manager that at certain points on delivery i"m stopping and idling for 10/15 mins at a time. (this would be my entitled 40 min break and how i split it?)
I was then told that my van should be switched off while having lunch. When i argued that the outside temperature required me to have the engine on for heat to stop me from getting hypothermia as there actually was ice on the roads and sleet showers on the day in question! I"m wanting any information or working standard agreements
if there is any on such a matter please? The manager in question is now even enforcing a no engine running policy for de-iceing the windscreen. Yes thats right we are
NOT allowed to start the van while loading to help de-ice lol! We have all been told there is a kettle in the canteen. I would like to say that this action makes the
office yard extremely dangerous due to everyone having to pour water over there vans. Once again just wanting to here peoples thoughts on this one or even if this is
enforced in any other office cheers??

07 Feb 2020, 14:39

Yes, your DOM is a knob. Also someone will end up cracking a windscreen by putting boiling water on it. Ask them how that affects their budget. Also tell him that you need to come back and have your break in the office. It must be in your 318 or equivalent. It's cold, unhygenic and has no proper place to go to toilet and wash. Hopefully the vans won't start back up when you turn them off and you can wait for hours for a RM mechanic who can't fix it and then wait for the RAC/AA to pick up your van. Not your problem. That's the problem that I see These day, too many posties worry about how letter/parcels will be sorted/delivered on time due to management ideas. F...K the doms/linos, that's what they get paid for and if it goes tits up, who gives a toss, cut off, go home/pub and forget ALL about it until the next day and let them talk shite and let it go in one ear and out the other. :cuppa

07 Feb 2020, 17:59

FLag the knob up to the area rep!
Get him to buy deicer( DO NOT THROW BOILING WATER ONTO ICED UP CAR WINDOWS ) if he wants no running of engines for that purpose, as for your break in the cold... :roll:
These tossers have too much time on their hands.

EDIT: Just thought, it's illegal to keep cars/vans ect engine running while stationary for long periods so, in winter you guys would have to find somewhere to have your break, needs to be built into the duty.

Stationary idling is an offence under section 42 of the Road Traffic Act 1988.

The Act enforces rule 123 of the Highway Code which states: "You must not leave a vehicle engine running unnecessarily while that vehicle is stationary on a public road."

07 Feb 2020, 18:34

Your manager is being unreasonable.Do not accept this behaviour.In our office I would expect a long queue to form as everyone waited for the kettle to boil and an odd argument with those waiting for the kettle for their break.

Wouldn't worry about the legal implications, especially if you are taking your break on a private lane or any where besides a public road. Also you may consider it necessary to have the van running to demist the windscreen.

09 Feb 2020, 14:40

I use cold or tepid water out of the tap to remove frost or ice from my car or van windows. It's quicker than scrapping it off and saves adding to the idling figures in the case of 'trimble'.
In our DO our DOM was chased up from above on the Trimble figures although our DOM says our figures are mostly good so there isn't really that much to worry about. Sounds like our DOM is spending most of his time compiling Trimble figures now then giving us daily reports. Previous to that it was daily reports on first time delivery of Tracked items so I suppose it makes a change. It's all a bit pathetic really in my opinion and reminds me of that scene in the film Brazil where the main character is sending paperwork in metal cannisters up pipes to other workers only to keep getting them sent back.

PS the DOM gets sent an email each time a van goes over the speed limit. It just gets worse.

09 Feb 2020, 20:42

What baloney Royal mail come out with. I drive the fiat and every 100 mile I have to re-gen the van, which means running the engine at full pelt for upto 10 mins. This can't be done untill the engine is warm, so I have to do 4-5 mile before I can do this

10 Feb 2020, 00:11

Come back to office for lunch that will piss him off say you need toilet as well as for defrosting let him do it if the windscreen cracks he pays for it. But you need the engine warm for demisting the van so you could have a team brief in the van with his fart talk!

10 Feb 2020, 17:09

Tell your dom that you will wait until the windscreen defrost naturally and then tell him you can't complete your round as you haven't got time

10 Feb 2020, 18:19

Just in case drivers are not aware:

If you leave your engine running while your motor is stationary on the road, it could land you in hot water.

Stationary idling is an offence under section 42 of the Road Traffic Act 1988, which means leaving the car running with the heater on the windscreen is off-limits.

The Act enforces rule 123 of the Highway Code which states: “You must not leave a vehicle engine running unnecessarily while that vehicle is stationary on a public road.”

So in the yard - the manager may be a bit overeager, but out on a public road, he is actually supported by the law. At least on idling while you load.

10 Feb 2020, 18:21

He is questionable on the hot water for the reasons stated.

Freezing

Temperature difference causing cracked windscreen.

10 Feb 2020, 18:50

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:Just in case drivers are not aware:

If you leave your engine running while your motor is stationary on the road, it could land you in hot water.

Stationary idling is an offence under section 42 of the Road Traffic Act 1988, which means leaving the car running with the heater on the windscreen is off-limits.

The Act enforces rule 123 of the Highway Code which states: “You must not leave a vehicle engine running unnecessarily while that vehicle is stationary on a public road.”

So in the yard - the manager may be a bit overeager, but out on a public road, he is actually supported by the law. At least on idling while you load.

But is it unnecessary if your idling to demist the windows to drive in a safe manner?

11 Feb 2020, 09:47

leolion855 wrote:
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:Just in case drivers are not aware:

But is it unnecessary if your idling to demist the windows to drive in a safe manner?

That would be up to a court of law to decide if it ever went that far.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukdsi/2002/0110423887

ART 6
STOPPING OF ENGINES
Stopping of engine when vehicle stationary
12.—(1) An authorised person who has reasonable cause to believe that the driver of a vehicle that is stationary on a road is committing a stationary idling offence may, upon production of evidence of his authorisation, require him to stop the running of the engine of that vehicle.

(2) A person who fails to comply with a requirement under paragraph (1) shall be guilty of an offence and be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 3 on the standard scale.

Also, the definition of unattended would need to be clarified. Is a van unattended if the driver is in the driving seat {probably not), but is it unattended if the driver is loading the back of the van. (Questionable).

To be specific, Section 98 of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986/1078 requires a driver to stop the engine of a vehicle when it is stationary so far as is necessary to prevent noise or exhaust emissions unless the vehicle is stationary because of traffic. Section 107 of the same regulations prohibits a person from leaving a vehicle unattended unless the engine is stopped. - See more at: https://www.rivervaleleasing.co.uk/blog ... HxBGp.dpuf

12 Feb 2020, 14:53

I sent an email to our friends at justsayit...

JUSTSAYIT wrote:I have been told the following:
    • Within our Driving Safe System of Work, drivers must ensure clear visibility of the windscreen, side windows and all mirrors prior to driving
    • Sites may order De icer and ice scrapers through Ariba system for delivery to site direct
    • Also Automotive Screen wash to prevent washer jets freeing (and promote a clean screen) is to be used as is glass cleaner for keeping all glass surfaces clean
    • With the above the engine should be started and de mist setting selected, this helps clear the screen (and keep it clear)
    • Under no circumstances should hot water be used, this will cause the screen to shatter and is against manufacturers advice.

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1