not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

Pay deducted, but was it ordinary?

04 Jan 2020, 07:20

Hello,

Happy New Year!

Ive been long-term sick since around July.
Generally there wasn't any contact between myself and management, often four or five weeks before any contact.
Was asked in October if I accepted occupational health to contact me, after accepting I didn't hear back from management until December.
Then I received letter from management stating SSP was expired.
Completed occupational health and want return to work.

Should the sickness procedure have been followed surely my pay wouldn't have suffered?

04 Jan 2020, 08:56

https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/mrm/Sic ... ummary.pdf

Sick pay entitlements for CWU
represented grades
• First 12 months of service = statutory sick
pay only.
• After 12 months of service = full rate sick
pay for the first six months, followed by half
rate.

Full rate will be paid for a maximum of 6 months
in any calendar year. Further periods will be paid
at half rate. However, there will be no pay when
your absence totals 12 months or more (with or
without pay) in any four year period.

• Employees on nil pay who are contributing
members of the Royal Mail Pension Plan, will
be paid the lower of:

 a rate equivalent to the highest rate of
pension they would be eligible to receive
on ill health grounds, or:

 half rate sick pay.

04 Jan 2020, 09:39

I appreciate your input wholeheartedly

I was wondering whether I have a matter that I can bring to my rep, in order to recover these lost wages...

Only after occupational health assessed me, was the first time management spoke to me about my sickness.

Surely if procedure was followed I wouldn't have a cause of complaint?

05 Jan 2020, 03:35

From the information, you have posted they, with reference to Pay, have followed the process.

No harm in contacting the H&S reps.

But if you believe you are ready to return to work then I would contact the manager and inform them (ask for a meeting with rep present) and go from there.

05 Jan 2020, 12:19

Kizza93 wrote:Hello,

Happy New Year!

Ive been long-term sick since around July.
Generally there wasn't any contact between myself and management, often four or five weeks before any contact.
Was asked in October if I accepted occupational health to contact me, after accepting I didn't hear back from management until December.
Then I received letter from management stating SSP was expired.
Completed occupational health and want return to work.

Should the sickness procedure have been followed surely my pay wouldn't have suffered?

I'm a little confused. SSP is usually taken to mean the sick pay that the government provide in absence of company sick pay. Have you been at RM long enough to qualify for sick pay.? Usually one years service is required. If you do qualify for sick pay, have you had any other sick periods recently? Sick pay is paid over any four years rolling period so if you accumulate one years sick in four years then your pay drops to nothing.

16 Jan 2020, 12:54

Well I had a shock this morning!

I am currently on long term sick and last week had a meeting with management regarding what’s, what. During the meeting I was informed by my manager that wages department had made a mistake and have been paying me sick pay from the start of my absence and currently the amount I owed was around £280.

My manager said don’t worry about it now as we will arrange a repayment plan when you return to work!

Opened wage slip this morning and they have taken £280 in one swoop.

Firstly I haven’t even had a breakdown of what’s owed, after checking previous wage slips the amount paid varies from £7-£10 a week.

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1