not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

Stage 1 attendance warning

24 Nov 2019, 09:05

Hi,
I've been in the job for 14 and a half years and never had a day off sick, never late, no complaints etc. Basically a hero??
Had a hernia operation and was off for 26 days and was issued with a Stage 1 warning.
Am aware of the 14 day trigger but was expecting my previous service to be taken in to consideration as discretion regarding this being issued.
I've since been made aware that other cases have been "let off" or avoided for far worse cases than mine. The inconsistency in the office etc ????
Any ideas of anything i can do in challenging this in any way

24 Nov 2019, 17:38

I had my first absence in 4 years due to a fall and broken ankle ( not work related ) a few years ago. I was in a cast for 6 weeks and though still on crutches came back to work after a total of 7 weeks off. My manager asked me why a Stage 1 shouldn’t be issued at a back to work meeting, I replied I got back to work a s a p. I kept in constant contact throughout my absence and I had only been off sick 3 times in the previous 25 years. Next day he handed me a stage 1 warning and said it was generated by HR and not his decision. Yet several in the office tell me they haven’t been issued with stage 1 warnings for the flu, a sore back or migraines. :sad: :roll:

24 Nov 2019, 19:48

And to think you have people on here that criticise fellow posties for taking sickies , when this is how Royal Mail treat people that have exemplary records.

25 Nov 2019, 07:03

I've said this before and I will say it again - you approach this with the wrong attitude.
Don't think of it as a warning (and all the emotional baggage that obviously contains).
Just think of it as a gentle reminder of the standards required. And lets be honest they aren't exactly stringent.

Someone with an exemplary attendance record isn't going to struggle to clear that stage 1.
And if they suffer an unfortunate series of events, then that record will stand them in good stead at the RTU.
In 20 years I have only ever known one person lose their job through the attendance procedure.

So just relax. It isn't really that important.

25 Nov 2019, 07:07

You can't challenge a Stage 1 until until it reaches Stage 3.

As far as issuing goes it really is the luck of the draw.

I have had 4 Stage 1's issued in my time, all covered by sick notes from a Doctor or a surgeon.

Treat it as an occupational hazard and try not to get too stressed by it, your Lino certainly won't!

25 Nov 2019, 08:09

clashcityrocker wrote:I've said this before and I will say it again - you approach this with the wrong attitude.
Don't think of it as a warning (and all the emotional baggage that obviously contains).
Just think of it as a gentle reminder of the standards required. And lets be honest they aren't exactly stringent.

Someone with an exemplary attendance record isn't going to struggle to clear that stage 1.
And if they suffer an unfortunate series of events, then that record will stand them in good stead at the RTU.
In 20 years I have only ever known one person lose their job through the attendance procedure.

So just relax. It isn't really that important.

The point he is making is why is the stage 1 even issued when he has such a good record . I can understand it if he was sick every few months and there were patterns appearing but that isn’t the case here .These stages use to be down to managers discretion but that’s not the case anymore.

25 Nov 2019, 20:10

david3595 wrote:Next day he handed me a stage 1 warning and said it was generated by HR and not his decision.

The stage one process is automatically triggered but it’s down to the manager if to issue the stage or not after the interview.

25 Nov 2019, 20:16

chickenwittle wrote:These stages use to be down to managers discretion but that’s not the case anymore.

Had a stage one not issued a few weeks ago so managers do still have the discretion to issue or not.

25 Nov 2019, 20:40

Zicomurphy wrote:
chickenwittle wrote:These stages use to be down to managers discretion but that’s not the case anymore.

Had a stage one not issued a few weeks ago so managers do still have the discretion to issue or not.

Maybe they do but why do they always have to seek advice.can they not make their own minds up.

26 Nov 2019, 04:57

your sickness record is exemplary and you should not have had this issued because you have not had a stage 1 in 14 years and this should be taken into account by your manager.
Your hernia is outside of normal reasons for issuing as it would be considered corrective surgery by having an operation in order to correct it and this will make your long term attendance record better.
Your rep should put in a grievance sighting that the procedure was not followed correctly or fairly and that you wish to have your stage 1 looked again.

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1