not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : BALLOT RESULT : 97.1% YES 75.9% TURNOUT... HERE

Hours worked

03 Oct 2019, 15:20

Just a thought. Is being paid for the hours you actually work a bad thing?

For example if you are contracted to work 8 until 3 and you are asked to do additional work before or after,
that is then your choice to take paid overtime, or not and just work your contracted hours.

However if you come in early, run around, take unnecessary risks, take no breaks knowing full well that you will miss Jeremy Kyle and possibly being made to do additional work knowing that you will not be paid any extra and you will not be allowed to finish work until your contracted finish time, then that is also your choice.

We should live in the real world. If you ran a company would you pay your staff 10 hours when they have only done 5.

Hours worked

03 Oct 2019, 15:39

Redacer wrote:Just a thought. Is being paid for the hours you actually work a bad thing?

For example if you are contracted to work 8 until 3 and you are asked to do additional work before or after,
that is then your choice to take paid overtime, or not and just work your contracted hours.

However if you come in early, run around, take unnecessary risks, take no breaks knowing full well that you will miss Jeremy Kyle and possibly being made to do additional work knowing that you will not be paid any extra and you will not be allowed to finish work until your contracted finish time, then that is also your choice.

We should live in the real world. If you ran a company would you pay your staff 10 hours when they have only done 5.

Exactly right.

Hours worked

03 Oct 2019, 15:46

rambo1 wrote:
Redacer wrote:Just a thought. Is being paid for the hours you actually work a bad thing?

Exactly right.

If you took your car for repair and the garage quoted for 2 hrs labour and you paid for 2 hrs labour, how would you feel if they came back with the keys after an hr and said we rushed it and cut a few corners but now we can do another job in the hr you're still paying us for?
Think about it.

Hours worked

03 Oct 2019, 16:49

I totally agree , its known as ghost in ours , posties being paid 3 hours o/t and finishing before there actual finishing time . but it will come to an end soon.

Hours worked

03 Oct 2019, 19:12

worktotime wrote:

I totally agree , its known as ghost in ours , posties being paid 3 hours o/t and finishing before there actual finishing time . but it will come to an end soon.

No it won’t , I’ve been hearing that for years.

Hours worked

03 Oct 2019, 20:04

So ok then, work load decreases over time especially in the summer. If you only want to be paid the hours you work would you be happy when Royal Mail tell you they’ve only got 20hrs worth of work for you this week

Hours worked

03 Oct 2019, 20:43

Interesting number one, but before that contracts would have to be changed. Why are some finishing 3 to 4 hours early whilst others are unable to complete in their time. Rounds are not equal, experience is not equal, age is not equal and so on. Some are very fast, some are very thorough, some are concientous. Who works the hardest? Being fast does not mean you work harder. The common factor however is the hours you are contracted to do so again I say the choice is yours, overtime or not but you cannot have complaints about when you are supposed to be at work

Hours worked

03 Oct 2019, 21:19

I got told by a manager the best office to run now is a mixture of "work to timers" and people who like to get a move on and do overtime. The office clears and the slower postie's finish times even out the quicker ones who finish earlier, because they look at an average finish time for the office it looks like the office is running well

Also because all of the "ghost" overtime is against absence they are still saving money on the indoor and outdoor so the budget looks good. He said it's the excess claims that get questions asked from higher up.

Hours worked

03 Oct 2019, 22:47

citypostie wrote:I got told by a manager the best office to run now is a mixture of "work to timers" and people who like to get a move on and do overtime. The office clears and the slower postie's finish times even out the quicker ones who finish earlier, because they look at an average finish time for the office it looks like the office is running well

Also because all of the "ghost" overtime is against absence they are still saving money on the indoor and outdoor so the budget looks good. He said it's the excess claims that get questions asked from higher up.

I recognize the scenario in the first paragraph. I was shown how the PDA actuals interface is working in our office a while back. A number of posties finish early but several posties finish ontime or later including myself and one postie routinely finishes much later. The later finishers counteract the early finishers which gives our office a very minor percentage of time not worked therefore we are off the radar. Having said that the finance director still launched an attack on us which failed.
A realistic picture of situation is not visible though because if posties didn't start early and took their breaks we probably all would either finish on time or not have enough time to complete.
We know most other offices in our area have much shorter walks than ours. Occasionally we get 'the cavalry' arrive from other offices to help when we are short staffed and they have the WTF faces on when they look at the size of some of our frames.
I am in favour of posties, or anyone else, being paid for the hours they work and don't see anything wrong with the idea.

Hours worked

09 Oct 2019, 05:38

Well said... :left: BUT DOES MANAGEMENT//CWU THINK SO? :left:

Hours worked

Today, 01:05

Would hours worked include commuting like from Switzerland to London or could I just do two days this week instead of the three and can I only do Tuesday till Thursday and not Friday! Yours Rico unashamedly scratching your back!

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1