not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

Going on holiday whilst sick

02 Aug 2019, 18:24

A colleague has been signed off by his GP for depression until the last week in August. He had pre-booked a 2 week break in Dorset in the middle 2 weeks in August which he has spoken to his GP and Councillor about and who both say, the break will benefit his mental health. When he brought in his certificate to his manager, he was told he can't go on holiday whilst he's off sick. I thought that as long as he maintained contact, told them his plans and was still under a GP's certificate, they can't prevent him going away (be it in this country) and they can't stop his pay and that the 2 weeks leave will be credited back, as he is off sick. Thoughts please.........

02 Aug 2019, 18:47

Any holiday whilst off sick should be credited back to his leave entitlement

02 Aug 2019, 19:11

Don't know what RM policy is but this law firms opinion is below:

https://www.sherrardslaw.com/going-holi ... -off-sick/

02 Aug 2019, 19:29

Page 65 attendance procedure

20. If an employee is on sick absence and they are due to go on holiday what do they need to do?If an employee is unable to take holiday due to being unwell they should notify their manager at the first opportunity and the sick absence should be recorded as continuous. If annual holiday follows a period of sick absence and the employee is now able to return to work the employee should inform their manager that they are fit to return to work, however they are resuming onto annual holiday. The manager would then close the absence on PSP.

Also attached sick pay policy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

04 Aug 2019, 12:10

Absolutely no problems going on holiday while signed off sick with mental health issues. As the doctor and or councillor said, it would be beneficial in the recovery process of getting back to work. Has your colleague been in contact with feeling first class , to get on record their opinion. The Dom is only making the problem worse by inducing more stress. Yes they will get any annual leave re allocated whilst off sick too. And it's not just this country, if the holiday was overseas the same would apply.
I would however suggest your colleague keeps off social media and doesn't post pictures of them having a great time, not that they should feel guilty about having a great time, it's good for the healing process, it's just likely to inflame the situation with the DOM.
If they get any grief I recommend emailing have your say.
Hope their condition improves and they try to relax and forget about work for a bit on holiday.
They will have to agree a reasonable contact situation though , I would say once a week.
ATB.

04 Aug 2019, 20:29

I was under the impression that when sick and you go away on holiday they no longer have to credit back that holiday. That's why when I was long term sick i did not tell them I went away. I just said I was too sick to have a holiday and got holiday credited back.

05 Aug 2019, 13:43

hothothot wrote:I was under the impression that when sick and you go away on holiday they no longer have to credit back that holiday. That's why when I was long term sick i did not tell them I went away. I just said I was too sick to have a holiday and got holiday credited back.

You can't be on sick leave and annual leave at the same time. If you're sick when you should have anual leave, then you get those days credited back. It has nothing to do with what you did or didn't do when on sick. Some conditions that would prevent you working, you could still go on holiday, and indeed it would be classed as rehab by a doctor under certain circumstances.

06 Aug 2019, 15:51

I had the same problem I was off long term sick and had a holiday booked to Barcelona. Told my manager and he said if you can sit on a plane for 2 hours you can sit and sort letters for 2 hours. I went over his head and got permission off mail centre manager in an email saying the break would do me good after what id been through. Shift manager was livid ha ha ha

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1