not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : BALLOT RESULT : 97.1% YES 75.9% TURNOUT... HERE

Work Time Directive Policy

02 Aug 2019, 17:34

I have worked for Royal Mail for 20 years and have had an additional part time job recently. I have been informed that I if I don't have 11 hours rest between the 2 jobs I am breaking the work time directive. How is anyone supposed to hold down 2 jobs and include an 11 hour rest break in between, I know Royal Mail have a policy of their own stating that you must take an 11 hour break between shifts, but I know that doesn't even happen. But this is over 2 employments.
Just wondering if anyone else has a second job and has been faced with this situation? Thanks in advance.

02 Aug 2019, 18:10

https://www.employmentsolicitor.com/wor ... iple-jobs/

They are right and have an obligation to ensure that the WTD is adhered to.
Personally I don't see how it is feasible.
You could just mislead them to keep them off your back but it would absolve them of any responsibility if you had an accident due to fatigue.

02 Aug 2019, 18:27

Thanks for your advice
I saw that article, but it did say
'While the Regulations don’t clearly stipulate that an employer is obliged to monitor if rest breaks are observed across jobs' - so is it the manager discretion?
Do you know what the consequences are if I were to continue working my second job?

02 Aug 2019, 19:18

In Logistics and Distribution the lorry drivers can reduce their daily rest to 9 hours 3 times a week.

So the issue of the WTD doesn't apply there.

02 Aug 2019, 21:09

jcw007 wrote:Do you know what the consequences are if I were to continue working my second job?

It would depend if they viewed you as a health and safety risk - either to yourself or others.
I suppose it depends what you are doing and when.

03 Aug 2019, 12:00

norm wrote:In Logistics and Distribution the lorry drivers can reduce their daily rest to 9 hours 3 times a week.

So the issue of the WTD doesn't apply there.

But we are governed by EU driving rules too we have to have also a 45 hr break which can be reduced once then we have a full 45hr the following week then by the 3rd week we have paid the reduction. That 45hr reduction is also counted as one of the 3 reductions that you can have. The EU driving hrs are different to the British drivings hrs too

03 Aug 2019, 19:35

jcw007 wrote:I have worked for Royal Mail for 20 years and have had an additional part time job recently. I have been informed that I if I don't have 11 hours rest between the 2 jobs I am breaking the work time directive. How is anyone supposed to hold down 2 jobs and include an 11 hour rest break in between, I know Royal Mail have a policy of their own stating that you must take an 11 hour break between shifts, but I know that doesn't even happen. But this is over 2 employments.
Just wondering if anyone else has a second job and has been faced with this situation? Thanks in advance.

This is definitely the law and not something you can opt out of. In terms of who can enforce it I’m not sure though!

10 Aug 2019, 01:49

joewyan wrote:
jcw007 wrote:I have worked for Royal Mail for 20 years and have had an additional part time job recently. I have been informed that I if I don't have 11 hours rest between the 2 jobs I am breaking the work time directive. How is anyone supposed to hold down 2 jobs and include an 11 hour rest break in between, I know Royal Mail have a policy of their own stating that you must take an 11 hour break between shifts, but I know that doesn't even happen. But this is over 2 employments.

This is definitely the law and not something you can opt out of. In terms of who can enforce it I’m not sure though!

This relate's to a two week period maybe you could shuffle your shifts as to adhere to these requirements but in the end the legislation is defunct as zero hour contracts are conflicting with this legislation anyway as how can they prove a single employer anymore than working as a shoe shiner or paper boy!

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1