not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

Outed as transgender by management.

13 Apr 2019, 14:34

I would like to know where I stand, because I’ve been informed of this today by my colleague who I was out on delivery with and I’m furious. I’m seeing my union rep on Monday by the way.
Informed today that on my first day one of the managers outed me to the person I was working with today, so almost a year ago, she told them what my birth name was so she just blatantly outed me, colleague doesn’t want it coming back to them which I understand so I’m not sure how to take this further with no evidence.
And then this week I was working in a new section and another manager outed me to about 3/4 people in that section who I’ve never even met before!
I’m genuinely in disbelief this has happened, and I’m furious that something so private and confidentiality has, I feel, been brought down to nothing more than gossip and I’d just like some advice as to where I stand. Thanks for taking the time to read.

13 Apr 2019, 15:08

I'm really sorry that this has happened to you. It is entirely your business and should not have been shared without your blessing. I think you are entitled to expect some respect and not have to feel betrayed by management in this way.
The very least you should do is speak to human resources with a view to opening a grievance. I wish you the best of luck.

13 Apr 2019, 19:54

The manager in question is in big trouble. Data protection is taken seriously now.

13 Apr 2019, 20:05

id have a word with the manager in question with a rep present, they may not be fully up to speed with these circumstances( there are rm mangers after all) and it may have just been an unforgivable clumsy error. Have a chat and tell them why you are upset.
Depending on how it goes take it further from there if required.

14 Apr 2019, 09:09

I know you have asked where you stand, but before we get to that I think you need to consider carefully what you want the outcome of any action you take to be.

Being furious is understandable, but what would you personally like to see happen now you are aware of this?

https://www.scottishtrans.org/trans-rig ... entiality/

Whilst this links to the Scottish Trans Alliance, it does state that it is a criminal offence for anyone acquiring this protected information in an ‘official capacity’ to disclose it to a third party without the transsexual person’s consent.

Crucially, whilst this may be seen as clumsy and 'just a mistake' - it's actually breaking the law.

You need to get in touch with your Area Rep and ask for information of the branch Equality Officer. Also, in terms of where you stand - phone ACAS on Monday, explain what has happened and follow their advice to the letter. You should also contact Unionline as they may appoint a solicitor if you follow the advice given by ACAS. You may have a reason to take this to an Employment Tribunal, should you wish to do so.

Just to add to this, the following link from the Law Society explains more about the criminal offence aspect

https://www.lawsociety.org.uk/support-s ... employees/

15 Apr 2019, 09:08

Utterly shocking. Several people should be losing their job over that.

15 Apr 2019, 22:18

steve1873 wrote:Utterly shocking. Several people should be losing their job over that.

Agreed.

16 Apr 2019, 16:50

Issue is bigger than Royal Mail. Get real legal advice outside of RM. RM will only try to silence you and sweep this under the carpet. Best of luck with whichever approach you take to deal with this.

17 Apr 2019, 04:02

bullying and harassment form to go in

21 Apr 2019, 11:23

I am really sorry for you, this must be really upsetting.
Some said it could have been a clumsy mistake, how is disclosing someone's personal and private business clumsy?
So it would be clumsy if my DOM told our office about peoples medical conditions, private conversations, personal problems
This is very serious and should NEVER have happened, you should seek legal advice and if you want proceed with it.

Manager's are in a responsible position and should know that they CAN'T discuss anyone's personal information without their permission.
You really should stand up to this not just for you but for others that this could happen to
if they (Management) feel they can say and do what they want without any consequences, it will happen again.

"You should only identify a person's transsexual status if you have permission to do so.
'Outing' a person as transsexual is classed as direct discrimination under the Equality Act 2010 and could result in criminal charges under the Gender Recognition Act 2004.

Disclosure of the fact that an employee has obtained a gender recognition certificate is a criminal act subject to a fine."
https://www.lawsociety.org.uk/support-services/advice/practice-notes/working-with-transgender-employees/

That quote was from the Law Society page(Working with transgender employees), you are covered under the Equality Act 2010 and as such have the law on your side
please do something about this i find this really disturbing.

As a Rep if one of my member's was in this situation i would do all i can to see justice

I hope you are dealing with this okay and it has not got to you.

I don't think i have ever answered a post as much as this, it has really annoyed me.
I may not know much about transgender but i do believe everyone has the right no matter who or what they are to be treated the same

Good Luck

24 Apr 2019, 15:34

beanmuncha wrote:I am really sorry for you, this must be really upsetting.
Some said it could have been a clumsy mistake, how is disclosing someone's personal and private business clumsy?
So it would be clumsy if my DOM told our office about peoples medical conditions, private conversations, personal problems
This is very serious and should NEVER have happened, you should seek legal advice and if you want proceed with it.

Manager's are in a responsible position and should know that they CAN'T discuss anyone's personal information without their permission.
You really should stand up to this not just for you but for others that this could happen to
if they (Management) feel they can say and do what they want without any consequences, it will happen again.

"You should only identify a person's transsexual status if you have permission to do so.
'Outing' a person as transsexual is classed as direct discrimination under the Equality Act 2010 and could result in criminal charges under the Gender Recognition Act 2004.

Disclosure of the fact that an employee has obtained a gender recognition certificate is a criminal act subject to a fine."
https://www.lawsociety.org.uk/support-services/advice/practice-notes/working-with-transgender-employees/

That quote was from the Law Society page(Working with transgender employees), you are covered under the Equality Act 2010 and as such have the law on your side

As a Rep if one of my member's was in this situation i would do all i can to see justice

I don't think i have ever answered a post as much as this, it has really annoyed me.
I may not know much about transgender but i do believe everyone has the right no matter who or what they are to be treated the same

Good Luck

Thank you for very much your response, and everyone else’s, unfortunately this seems to have escalate now as staff members who I’ve never even spoken to know and were talking about me in a very derogatory way, calling me an ‘it’ and questioning what I have or haven’t had done, I was angry before, now I’m angry and upset, I’ve never experienced such bullshit in all my life.
I spoke to the DOM with u ion present yesterday and said I didn’t want to take it further however you need to know this happened, don’t let it happen again and I don’t want to work under that particular manager anymore, and that was fine, but he wanted to know if anything else happened.
And today I find out I’m being talked about in the canteen like I’m some kind of freak show by people who don’t even know me, so I will be taking it further and I’ll be moving forward with my complaint about that manager because it’s all come from them in the first place. The DOM wants me to make a formal complaint so I believe he’s on my side and I’ll be seeing him Friday morning, and I’ll be getting statements and evidence as well.

24 Apr 2019, 17:58

Herzeleid wrote:
beanmuncha wrote:I am really sorry for you, this must be really upsetting.

Good Luck

Thank you for very much your response, and everyone else’s, unfortunately this seems to have escalate now as staff members who I’ve never even spoken to know and were talking about me in a very derogatory way, calling me an ‘it’ and questioning what I have or haven’t had done, I was angry before, now I’m angry and upset, I’ve never experienced such bullshit in all my life.
I spoke to the DOM with u ion present yesterday and said I didn’t want to take it further however you need to know this happened, don’t let it happen again and I don’t want to work under that particular manager anymore, and that was fine, but he wanted to know if anything else happened.
And today I find out I’m being talked about in the canteen like I’m some kind of freak show by people who don’t even know me, so I will be taking it further and I’ll be moving forward with my complaint about that manager because it’s all come from them in the first place. The DOM wants me to make a formal complaint so I believe he’s on my side and I’ll be seeing him Friday morning, and I’ll be getting statements and evidence as well.

We all have had these team briefs in the past about LGBT issues and Racism yet some people never learn and carry on with their prejudice of things they know nothing of and discriminate those who are different to themselves let us all hope that in your lifetime these things change for the better!

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1