not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

split breaks

07 Nov 2018, 21:28

mgmt insisting i have to take 20/20 min split break to fit in with work plan
i cannot have full 40 unless p&l partner agrees to it before commencing duty
when do i take other 20 mins they surely cant force it at end of duty
and can i ask to return to office for other 20 (duty 10 miles away :Very Happy ) for welfare reasons ie hot food /drink
not prepared to sit in van not hygenic enough
mgmt seem to think i take 20 mins at say 9am then have final break at 2.10 pm at end of duty
partner doesnt take any break (part time ) so hes due to finish before myself as well
to say its a mess is an understatement
think they may try to force partner to take breaks so where does he stand if mgmt force this upon him but not the rest of pt office staff discrimination ?
any answers helpful as i expect to be in for questioning

split breaks

08 Nov 2018, 01:36

hans solo wrote:mgmt insisting i have to take 20/20 min split break to fit in with work plan
i cannot have full 40 unless p&l partner agrees to it before commencing duty
when do i take other 20 mins they surely cant force it at end of duty
and can i ask to return to office for other 20 (duty 10 miles away :Very Happy ) for welfare reasons ie hot food /drink
not prepared to sit in van not hygenic enough
mgmt seem to think i take 20 mins at say 9am then have final break at 2.10 pm at end of duty
partner doesnt take any break (part time ) so hes due to finish before myself as well
to say its a mess is an understatement
think they may try to force partner to take breaks so where does he stand if mgmt force this upon him but not the rest of pt office staff discrimination ?
any answers helpful as i expect to be in for questioning

return to your office half way through your shift for a full 40 minute meal break , if it takes 20mins to drive back then so be it its there time.and if they try and force you to split your breaks, take 20minutes after you load the van then mid way through delivery take the other 20minutes back in the office, they cant delegate you taking a break 20mins before your shift finishes.

stick to your guns get union rep involved dont back down as this will effect for everyday after.

split breaks

08 Nov 2018, 06:16

The meal relief pattern should be decided by an office vote.
If the office votes for 20/20 then everyone takes 20 minutes before delivery and 20 at the end of the shift.

Managers can decide when you take your meal relief ( it is in the WTD ) but we have collective bargaining so it should be agreed by the workforce.

split breaks

08 Nov 2018, 10:42

clashcityrocker wrote:The meal relief pattern should be decided by an office vote.
If the office votes for 20/20 then everyone takes 20 minutes before delivery and 20 at the end of the shift.

Managers can decide when you take your meal relief ( it is in the WTD ) but we have collective bargaining so it should be agreed by the workforce.

HOW CAN IT BE DECIDED BY AN OFFICE VOTE. YOU HAVE PEOPLE STARTING AT ALL DIFFERENT TIMES. THAT'S B.S. SO YOUR SAYING THAT FULLTIMERS CAN DECIDE THEY WANT THEIR BREAK AFTER SAY, 3 HOURS JUST WHEN PART TIMERS ARE COMING IN AND THEY NEED TO TAKE A BREAK STRAIGHT AWAY BECAUSE DO.WHICH ELSE VOTED FOR THAT. AWAY AND BILE HER HEED. :cuppa

split breaks

08 Nov 2018, 15:24

can they make you take 20 mins at end of shift i dont think so
and a whole office cant decide my h&s thank you :left:
can someone with employment law knowledge please clarify

split breaks

08 Nov 2018, 15:31

Navalron wrote:
HOW CAN IT BE DECIDED BY AN OFFICE VOTE. YOU HAVE PEOPLE STARTING AT ALL DIFFERENT TIMES. THAT'S B.S. SO YOUR SAYING THAT FULLTIMERS CAN DECIDE THEY WANT THEIR BREAK AFTER SAY, 3 HOURS JUST WHEN PART TIMERS ARE COMING IN AND THEY NEED TO TAKE A BREAK STRAIGHT AWAY BECAUSE DO.WHICH ELSE VOTED FOR THAT. AWAY AND BILE HER HEED. :cuppa

Taking breaks
Employers can say when employees take rest breaks during work time.

That is the Working Time Directive.
Now if you would rather bypass the union and collective bargaining and simply fall back on a manager telling you when you can take your break, the so be it.
Is it perfect - no.
Does it require a bit of thought and a bit of give and take -yes.

AND NO NEED TO SHOUT> I AM NOT DEEF.

split breaks

08 Nov 2018, 15:43

The capital's were left on. Anyway I'm not saying a manager cannot tell you when to take a break. Of course they can. But not at the begging or end of a shift. This is one of the main problems in RM, the fulltimers stiffing the parttimers. Your one of the ones who say to do the job properly. Taking your breaks like that is wrong and TOTALLY goes against the health and safety at work laws. It might not be illigal but it's just plain bad management and only ends the runners. :cuppa

split breaks

08 Nov 2018, 16:43

Given that a part timer on less than 6 hours/day isn't legally entitled to any break, then the timing of it is pretty irrelevant.
Do you want 30 minutes at the start, 30 at the end or none at all, just 30 minutes extra work?

A lot of offices are 50/50 full-time to part time, so the idea of p/t staff being stiffed by their colleagues is not applicable.

With a little bit of thought and a little bit of flexibility you can come up with solutions but given the great differences in offices you won't come up with a one size fits all solution.
What you can't have is people deciding they are above the democratic choice of the office.
It is a workplace not a playground.

split breaks

08 Nov 2018, 17:48

no ours is deffo a playground
i am not prepared to take part break at end of duty as we no longer finish earlier or on time so break at end no longer helps any rest or recovery
also with sww later 12 mins also squeezes break at start of shift earlier
becoming a joke break 6hr break not normal

split breaks

08 Nov 2018, 18:19

clashcityrocker wrote:Given that a part timer on less than 6 hours/day isn't legally entitled to any break, then the timing of it is pretty irrelevant.
Do you want 30 minutes at the start, 30 at the end or none at all, just 30 minutes extra work?

A lot of offices are 50/50 full-time to part time, so the idea of p/t staff being stiffed by their colleagues is not applicable.

With a little bit of thought and a little bit of flexibility you can come up with solutions but given the great differences in offices you won't come up with a one size fits all solution.
What you can't have is people deciding they are above the democratic choice of the office.t is a workplace not a playground.

It might not be an official policy to have a break when working 6 hours but as you know RM have a different policy on break times. And how many part timers feel obliged to work to their full time counterparts breaks ( maybe a runner). And also when working docket that entitles posties to even longer breaks, well how often is that taken up. No it is a workplace but it's run like a playground sometimes. Also I agree with you that offices are different. Maybe they would be a lot more uniformity between them if POSTIES stuck to the rules and the union got back to national agreements instead of local, to be abused by all, agreements. :cuppa

split breaks

08 Nov 2018, 21:38

Taking breaks

Employers can say when employees take rest breaks during work time as long as:

the break is taken in one go somewhere in the middle of the day (not at the beginning or end)
workers are allowed to spend it away from their desk or workstation (ie away from where they actually work)

Gov.uk

split breaks

08 Nov 2018, 23:05

that will do me :dance

split breaks

09 Nov 2018, 06:17

hans solo wrote:that will do me :dance

As long as you realise it is only referring to the 20 minutes allowed by law and not the full 40 minutes paid by RM.

So 20 minutes has to be continuous and cannot be at the beginning or end.
As to the rest .....

split breaks

Yesterday, 20:56

The general rule is the second twenty minutes break is taken at the end of the duty. A lot of posties like it that way as it enables them to go home earlier. Some would like the whole 40 minutes at the end of duty. Some DOMs think the first twenty minutes break should be taken before they start the actual delivery. In some DOs the local union and workforce have decided to take all their break before they go out on delivery. There are many combinations.

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1