not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

Working to rule

10 Oct 2018, 14:00

Working to rule? How do we exactly work to rule as about five people in our office are saying we should all start working to rule as Tom is questioning over time especially since we are doing one hour less per week, do you have to have your full break or can you cut off without having any break? Also should you 16th a day of your dDoor to door ? Lots of people fed up as walks taking 5 to 6 hours a day but since reduction in hours have no reduction in work the whole thing is ridiculous where is the one hour less work per week. I can see November being a disaster as lots of people are already cutting off I am happy to work to rule as it is my partner to the union back you on this matter?

Working to rule

10 Oct 2018, 14:13

If your going to work to rule you need everyone in your office To do it otherwise it will not work , and I bet everyone will not agree to it .

Working to rule

10 Oct 2018, 14:38

matthew68 wrote:Working to rule? How do we exactly work to rule as about five people in our office are saying we should all start working to rule as Tom is questioning over time especially since we are doing one hour less per week,
Word of advice don't call it a work to rule, that is a recognised term for industrial action and doing it unofficially within a small group could end up in world of hurt. Also when telling the DOM don't call it a "cut off"

It's better to call it "doing the job properly", and when you see the DOM advise him you can't complete in the hours available. You do not have to explain why you can't go over, but if you want to you can.

matthew68 wrote:do you have to have your full break or can you cut off without having any break?
No you must take your break. If you are expected to work for 6 hours or more, by law you have to have the opportunity to take a break. If you don't then the manager will likely use this against you. It's better to take your break and finish smack on time then not have a break.

matthew68 wrote:Also should you 16th a day of your dDoor to door ? Lots of people fed up as walks taking 5 to 6 hours a day but since reduction in hours have no reduction in work the whole thing is ridiculous where is the one hour less work per week. I can see November being a disaster as lots of people are already cutting off I am happy to work to rule as it is my partner to the union back you on this matter?

D2Ds - it depends on the local system, but whatever it is (1/5th - 1/6th, columns or nominated sections) stick to it rigidly, for the similar reasons as mentioned in my reply on breaks.

Working to rule

10 Oct 2018, 14:59

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
matthew68 wrote:Working to rule? How do we exactly work to rule as about five people in our office are saying we should all start working to rule as Tom is questioning over time especially since we are doing one hour less per week,
Word of advice don't call it a work to rule, that is a recognised term for industrial action and doing it unofficially within a small group could end up in world of hurt. Also when telling the DOM don't call it a "cut off"

It's better to call it "doing the job properly", and when you see the DOM advise him you can't complete in the hours available. You do not have to explain why you can't go over, but if you want to you can.

matthew68 wrote:do you have to have your full break or can you cut off without having any break?
No you must take your break. If you are expected to work for 6 hours or more, by law you have to have the opportunity to take a break. If you don't then the manager will likely use this against you. It's better to take your break and finish smack on time then not have a break.

matthew68 wrote:Also should you 16th a day of your dDoor to door ? Lots of people fed up as walks taking 5 to 6 hours a day but since reduction in hours have no reduction in work the whole thing is ridiculous where is the one hour less work per week. I can see November being a disaster as lots of people are already cutting off I am happy to work to rule as it is my partner to the union back you on this matter?

D2Ds - it depends on the local system, but whatever it is (1/5th - 1/6th, columns or nominated sections) stick to it rigidly, for the similar reasons as mentioned in my reply on breaks.

Ok thanks for advice will probably just say I will work my hours and tell Dom bringing back mail I can’t deliver

Working to rule

10 Oct 2018, 15:01

hothothot wrote:If your going to work to rule you need everyone in your office To do it otherwise it will not work , and I bet everyone will not agree to it .

Yes there’s no chance everyone will do it as too many runners here so will speak to others and advise we finish on time and come in on time and take breaks
,there I guess it’s ok to bring mail back

Working to rule

11 Oct 2018, 14:27

matthew68 wrote:Ok thanks for advice will probably just say I will work my hours and tell Dom bringing back mail I can’t deliver

Working your hours and telling them is fine.

But don't tell them that you are bringing mail back. A

Advise the manager you cannot complete in the allotted time - and ask them what they want you to do. Then follow those instructions but make sure you have a witness with you.

Never, I repeat NEVER tell the manager what you are going to do when you run out of time, that's a recipe for a "willful delay" charge - when you follow their instructions the chances of a such a charge are reduced.

Working to rule

18 Oct 2018, 22:28

Regarding D2D as long as they are all getting delivered and there are no problems you will likely be able to use your own method to get them delivered. Regarding getting everyone to take their breaks, not come in early etc you will be very lucky if you can get that happening across your whole DO. Some offices are lucky enough to get it implemented so everyone takes their break then all go out at the same time. Most offices will not be able to get this agreed though.

Working to rule

19 Oct 2018, 14:33

TrueBlueTerrier wrote: that's a recipe for a "willful delay" charge - when you follow their instructions the chances of a such a charge are reduced.

Haven't they changed the terminology to "unexcused delay".
It is no longer a case of you didn't mean to do it, but you didn't have permission not to do it.

Working to rule

19 Oct 2018, 16:54

Wilful delay and Unexcused delay are two separate offences in the conduct code, apart from the obvious the main difference is that wilful delay can involve criminal charges.

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1