not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

Fed up with unfair treatment

07 Aug 2018, 18:28

Hello everyone,

Looking for some advice regarding my situation.

I am a postwoman on a 20 hour contract and have been working for Royal Mail for over a year now. My contract does not state times or how many days I am required to do. At the beginning, I alternated between 4 and 5 day weeks, then I was made a collection/delivery hybrid and was made to do 5 days every week.

I have transferred to a different office and have been kept on five days a week which is not ideal but I was okay with it.....until I found out that a new person who stated two months ago is doing a four day week on the same hourly contract. This, I find to be grossly unfair, do I have grounds to contest this and say that I want to be on 4 days a week too? What is also irking me, is that I have been on holiday using up 5 days a week....

Also, I had to ring up my manager to find out what day/time to arrive back to work on. To makes things more irritating, my manager is thinking of sending up to another office for the day to help out yet I am more senior than three people who have started since I have joined. I wouldn't mind so much if it wasn't the fact that the new people now seem to be getting more overtime than me.

Oh and one duty is being held by someone who signed up for it, yet that person says that they don't want to do it anymore and is never on it. Everyone thinks it should be readvertised, except for the manager. I would have liked to have the chance to apply for this duty.

Really just pissed off and fed up now. I could go on about the way I have been treated since the start (when I was made to do collections, I was eventually put on 4 afternoon/eves and delivery saturday...what a joke).

Any advice before I start looking for another job. I plan to bring up these issues to my manager when I get back to work. Thanks.

07 Aug 2018, 18:50

:thumbdown
Last edited by tommyrep on 07 Aug 2018, 19:02, edited 1 time in total.

07 Aug 2018, 19:01

Get the Union onto it, lol ! Are you in the Union ?
Your Dom obviously knows he’s on easy street with nothing to fear from dishin* out unfair practices or an uncaring Union.
Why oh why do the members put up with the horrible treatment of fellow colleagues? No one backs anyone nowadays!
It is obvious that the general consensus is “ I’m all right Jack “, so no one gives a hoot and that includes the Union.
Your manager holds no fear of being tackled on the various unfair points you have raised.
A bully, but hey ho who is prepared to tackle him, take him to task ?
The more they get away with all the more they push for and plenty pats on the back from his bosses.

07 Aug 2018, 19:13

tommyrep wrote:Get the Union onto it, lol ! Are you in the Union ?
Your Dom obviously knows he’s on easy street with nothing to fear from dishin* out unfair practices or an uncaring Union.
Why oh why do the members put up with the horrible treatment of fellow colleagues? No one backs anyone nowadays!
It is obvious that the general consensus is “ I’m all right Jack “, so no one gives a hoot and that includes the Union.
Your manager holds no fear of being tackled on the various unfair points you have raised.
A bully, but hey ho who is prepared to tackle him, take him to task ?
The more they get away with all the more they push for and plenty pats on the back from his bosses.

Thank you for replying. I am a member of the union, I joined on my first day....I have had to use them before at my old office and looks like I will have to again now...although I don't know if I have any legs to stand on. I will be raising the issue with my manager this week. Union presence isn't very strong at this office. Lots of people are not paid overtime properly and no sheet is provided.

07 Aug 2018, 20:19

Interested-seeker wrote:Hello everyone,

I am a postwoman on a 20 hour contract and have been working for Royal Mail for over a year now. My contract does not state times or how many days I am required to do. At the beginning, I alternated between 4 and 5 day weeks, then I was made a collection/delivery hybrid and was made to do 5 days every week.

I have transferred to a different office and have been kept on five days a week which is not ideal but I was okay with it.....until I found out that a new person who stated two months ago is doing a four day week on the same hourly contract. This, I find to be grossly unfair, do I have grounds to contest this and say that I want to be on 4 days a week too? What is also irking me, is that I have been on holiday using up 5 days a week....

Also, I had to ring up my manager to find out what day/time to arrive back to work on. To makes things more irritating, my manager is thinking of sending up to another office for the day to help out yet I am more senior than three people who have started since I have joined. I wouldn't mind so much if it wasn't the fact that the new people now seem to be getting more overtime than me.

Oh and one duty is being held by someone who signed up for it, yet that person says that they don't want to do it anymore and is never on it. Everyone thinks it should be readvertised, except for the manager. I would have liked to have the chance to apply for this duty.

Really just pissed off and fed up now. I could go on about the way I have been treated since the start (when I was made to do collections, I was eventually put on 4 afternoon/eves and delivery saturday...what a joke).

Any advice before I start looking for another job. I plan to bring up these issues to my manager when I get back to work. Thanks.

You say that your contract doesn’t state whether you work a 4 or a 5 day week, so there’s no grounds for you to expect to only work 4 days regardless of what this new person works. Your days will be defined by the delivery span of the duty you’ll be covering.
You also say your holidays used up 5 days a week, holiday pay doesn’t work like this. It’s hours worked, not days. 2 weeks holiday will always be 40 hours pay.
It doesn’t matter how much seniority you have in regards to being sent to another office to work, once you start your shift it’s up to RM what work you’ll be doing right up until you finish.
As far as I know a duty has to be held for a year before the duty holder can sign a new duty. Then when he officially says he doesn’t want it, it will lie vacant for 6 months before it can be signed for. Then, most senior postie who wants it gets it. Someone else can correct me if I’ve understood this wrong. Good luck getting it though, there’s people in our office with 10+ years service that are still floaters.

My advice would be to speak nicely to your manager about working 4 days instead of 5, it’s his decision though, there’s no self entitlement. In regards to being sent to other offices, remember you start and finish at your own office so deduct travel time to and from the office your going to and make sure your own office provide transport. This is the correct procedure to follow but it will also make them think twice about sending you. I don’t quite understand why you complain about not getting enough overtime if your working over 5 days though, surely your delivery span is taking you into overtime if your only contracted for 4 hours a day? Again speak nicely to your manager about overtime, maybe he doesn’t know your interested in it.

Good Luck.

07 Aug 2018, 20:58

The Postman wrote:

You say that your contract doesn’t state whether you work a 4 or a 5 day week, so there’s no grounds for you to expect to only work 4 days regardless of what this new person works. Your days will be defined by the delivery span of the duty you’ll be covering.
You also say your holidays used up 5 days a week, holiday pay doesn’t work like this. It’s hours worked, not days. 2 weeks holiday will always be 40 hours pay.
It doesn’t matter how much seniority you have in regards to being sent to another office to work, once you start your shift it’s up to RM what work you’ll be doing right up until you finish.
As far as I know a duty has to be held for a year before the duty holder can sign a new duty. Then when he officially says he doesn’t want it, it will lie vacant for 6 months before it can be signed for. Then, most senior postie who wants it gets it. Someone else can correct me if I’ve understood this wrong. Good luck getting it though, there’s people in our office with 10+ years service that are still floaters.

My advice would be to speak nicely to your manager about working 4 days instead of 5, it’s his decision though, there’s no self entitlement. In regards to being sent to other offices, remember you start and finish at your own office so deduct travel time to and from the office your going to and make sure your own office provide transport. This is the correct procedure to follow but it will also make them think twice about sending you. I don’t quite understand why you complain about not getting enough overtime if your working over 5 days though, surely your delivery span is taking you into overtime if your only contracted for 4 hours a day? Again speak nicely to your manager about overtime, maybe he doesn’t know your interested in it.

Good Luck.

Thanks for the time taken in responding to my post.

Well, every day I am on something different and my rota changes a lot throughout the week, so I am not sure how my days could be worked out based on that. Okay, I did think that my manager is entitled to make me work 5 days as my contract is vague, I had no problem with this, the only issue I have is that this is not standard across all 20 hour/week employees at this office.

I complain about the overtime because sometimes I am put on delivery/collections, starting in the afternoon and therefore only do the four hours. I will also only be doing four hours at the office that I may be sent to.

I'm not sure why you are making a lot of assumptions about my character, to insinuate that I am self entitled is a little rude. You don't know me, my office and what I am like. I work hard and don't laze about, I have been flexible (on-call) throughout most of my employment and always try to do a good job - including training new staff. I've only been with RM for a year so am not clued in on the politics/rules and hence why I am seeking clarification here.

In regards to the duty advertisement, I did not think it was guaranteed that I would be successful...I have realised that reserves can stay reserves for many years. But my issue lies with the principle surrounding it. Others have taken issues with it too, especially when someone has been taken off their own duty so that the person refusing the other duty can do it.

Thanks for the information, I know and appreciate that if my manager wants me to work elsewhere that as a reserve that is what I will do, but I will do so using the correct procedures. I think my manager does already know that I will do overtime as I have done whole deliveries and then collection/or delivered more stuff. It just seems that whenever someone new comes in, I get sidelined and put back on limited delivery and then a collection just because I have been trained on both. It has happened at both offices now. It is why I left the first and it may be why I end up leaving this one.

08 Aug 2018, 20:01

Interested-seeker wrote:
The Postman wrote:

Good Luck.

Thanks for the time taken in responding to my post.

Well, every day I am on something different and my rota changes a lot throughout the week, so I am not sure how my days could be worked out based on that. Okay, I did think that my manager is entitled to make me work 5 days as my contract is vague, I had no problem with this, the only issue I have is that this is not standard across all 20 hour/week employees at this office.

I complain about the overtime because sometimes I am put on delivery/collections, starting in the afternoon and therefore only do the four hours. I will also only be doing four hours at the office that I may be sent to.

I'm not sure why you are making a lot of assumptions about my character, to insinuate that I am self entitled is a little rude. You don't know me, my office and what I am like. I work hard and don't laze about, I have been flexible (on-call) throughout most of my employment and always try to do a good job - including training new staff. I've only been with RM for a year so am not clued in on the politics/rules and hence why I am seeking clarification here.

In regards to the duty advertisement, I did not think it was guaranteed that I would be successful...I have realised that reserves can stay reserves for many years. But my issue lies with the principle surrounding it. Others have taken issues with it too, especially when someone has been taken off their own duty so that the person refusing the other duty can do it.

Thanks for the information, I know and appreciate that if my manager wants me to work elsewhere that as a reserve that is what I will do, but I will do so using the correct procedures. I think my manager does already know that I will do overtime as I have done whole deliveries and then collection/or delivered more stuff. It just seems that whenever someone new comes in, I get sidelined and put back on limited delivery and then a collection just because I have been trained on both. It has happened at both offices now. It is why I left the first and it may be why I end up leaving this one.

Was always the case that on a Frday you would know your day off for the following week.
Not sure if that's a local or national agreement but as a reserve how can you plan your time off if you don't know your days off.

Get your rep to sort out your days off in the resourcing meeting and take it from there.

08 Aug 2018, 22:50

Interested-seeker wrote:I'm not sure why you are making a lot of assumptions about my character, to insinuate that I am self entitled is a little rude. You don't know me, my office and what I am like. I work hard and don't laze about, I have been flexible (on-call) throughout most of my employment and always try to do a good job - including training new staff. I've only been with RM for a year so am not clued in on the politics/rules and hence why I am seeking clarification here.

These are the exact words you used that drew me to that conclusion.

Interested-seeker wrote:until I found out that a new person who stated two months ago is doing a four day week on the same hourly contract.

yet I am more senior than three people who have started since I have joined. I wouldn't mind so much if it wasn't the fact that the new people now seem to be getting more overtime than me.

Oh and one duty is being held by someone who signed up for it, yet that person says that they don't want to do it anymore and is never on it.

As you can see all these things you said were all about what other people were getting/doing and it was making you feel hard done by. But what makes you any different to someone who started after you? Do they not have a life outside work too? If you keep thinking like this it’ll just keep eating away at you, you’ll find yourself a lot happier at work if you concentrate more on yourself than others and this is speaking from experience btw.

Best of luck.
Last edited by The Postman on 09 Aug 2018, 19:27, edited 1 time in total.

09 Aug 2018, 03:34

The Postman wrote:
Interested-seeker wrote:I'm not sure why you are making a lot of assumptions about my character, to insinuate that I am self entitled is a little rude. You don't know me, my office and what I am like. I work hard and don't laze about, I have been flexible (on-call) throughout most of my employment and always try to do a good job - including training new staff. I've only been with RM for a year so am not clued in on the politics/rules and hence why I am seeking clarification here.

Interested-seeker wrote:until I found out that a new person who stated two months ago is doing a four day week on the same hourly contract.

yet I am more senior than three people who have started since I have joined.

Oh and one duty is being held by someone who signed up for it, yet that person says that they don't want to do it anymore and is never on it.

As you can see all these things you said were all about what other people were getting/doing and it was making you feel hard done by. But what makes you any different to someone who started after you? Do they not have a life outside work too? If you keep thinking like this it’ll just keep eating away at you, you’ll find yourself a lot happier at work if you concentrate more on yourself than others and this is speaking from experience btw.

Best of luck.

There are agreements that cover off all the issues raised and the member is entitled to question who is signed to what duty and how the reserves are being used in the office.

Best to keep your advice to yourself.

09 Aug 2018, 13:38

Wtf..... :arrrghhh

09 Aug 2018, 15:45

Danelectro wrote:
The Postman wrote:

Best of luck.

There are agreements that cover off all the issues raised and the member is entitled to question who is signed to what duty and how the reserves are being used in the office.

If your going to chip in then point him to the agreements, who is signed to what duty and how reserves are utilised is a management issue, nothing to do with opg’s. So if you’ve got no sound advice to give then best listen to your own advice . . .
Danelectro wrote:Best to keep your advice to yourself.

12 Aug 2018, 09:08

The Postman wrote:
Danelectro wrote:
The Postman wrote:

Best of luck.

If your going to chip in then point him to the agreements, who is signed to what duty and how reserves are utilised is a management issue, nothing to do with opg’s. So if you’ve got no sound advice to give then best listen to your own advice . . .
Danelectro wrote:Best to keep your advice to yourself.

So resourcing the office is only the concern of management and nothing to do with union members.

The agreement is the unit rep has a weekly resourcing meeting with the DOM which has everything to do with OPGs so I refer you to the answer I gave earlier.

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1