ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

Not advertising vacant duty and giving it to a favourite.

11 Jul 2018, 18:26

Hi
Just looking for some advice. We have a vacant duty in the office that hasn't been filled for close to 4 years. It has been done by various people over this period usually for a week or so.
The DOM has now put someone on it for a stated period of 6 months.
After 6 months does that duty automatically become his as he seems to think?
We would all like to see it advertised and go to the most senior person rather than a blue eyed boy.
Please don't recommend we see our union rep as the blue eyed boy IS the union rep.

11 Jul 2018, 20:23

No it’s not his after 6 months.
He shouldn’t even be on it.
Duties can be vacant for a max of 6 months then they MUST be put up on the board for seniority.
Contact your branch and they’ll sort it

11 Jul 2018, 20:28

Go to area and above if you get no joy.

11 Jul 2018, 20:29

Then get a new rep, one that doesn't look after themselves at the expense of others. Sounds a bit of a c***.

11 Jul 2018, 20:56

Thanks for the replies
I didn't think he could keep it but wanted to make sure.
A new rep is waiting in the wings but the DOM is refusing to release her to go and do the required training.

11 Jul 2018, 21:08

Organise a vote of no confidence in the rep, your DOM has obviously been working on taming this one so their use to you is limited. New rep should get the release for training once they're in place.

12 Jul 2018, 05:55

Why suddenly after a duty has remained vacant for close to 4 years and not contested remaining vacant for this considerable length of time does your union rep want it.?
Does your union rep not have a signed duty of their own ?
Contact your area/divisional rep of the circumstances and lodge a disagreement within the IR Framework.
To have this rep removed from office you will need to ballot your office for a vote of no confidence in your union rep.
I am assuming that you present rep is fairly new to their position of union rep. and does not hold a great number of years in service with RM as he should be fully aware that being placed on a duty for 6 months does not automatically mean that the duty becomes theirs.

12 Jul 2018, 06:26

I'm surprised that your DOM hasn't removed the duty and added bits from it to the neighbouring walks

12 Jul 2018, 17:47

He has been in the job about 10 years so knows the ins and outs and has been the union rep for about 5 years.
He has been a reserve and float for all that time and only been full time for about 4 years.
We have continually asked for it to be advertised and have had the area rep in about it but as is usual in our office the DOM ignores everything and does as he pleases.
He has been after that particular duty for a long time but until recently has never had the training for it.
Now he has got his foot in the door he is trying to use the "I have been doing it for 6 months so it's mine" line Customs and Practices he says.
I and many others thought it was a crock of S##te and know we know so.
Apparently big changes are going to happen in our office and we think this is a pay off for him not to create too many problems.

12 Jul 2018, 20:28

They might have DDA and no one is allowed to ask them or speak out about it??

12 Jul 2018, 22:36

This sort of thing brings the union into disrepute. Someone (or several people) need to put in a grievance, and follow the proccess through, don't be put off or give up. make area guy aware. https://www.cwu.org/wp-content/uploads/ ... Policy.pdf

You can bring a work colleague into any meetings, although the initial meeting is informal with your lino, who may try and insist that it is a one to one.

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1