ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

Day swap issue

11 Jul 2018, 15:45

Hi forum

I agreed to swap a day with a colleague - see attachment. He was supposed to be working this Saturday for me, and I was supposed to be working next Saturday for him. That colleague went off sick a couple of weeks ago but last week said he would still be coming in this Saturday, and only confirmed today that he won't be coming in on Saturday after all. As I see it, having agreed the swap in writing with the two of us AND a manager, the office needs to cover his sickness absence on Saturday they same as they would ordinarily, and I should come in next Saturday as agreed and that should be that.

However, although management have said they'll cover Saturday, they are claiming that I will then owe them a day instead of owing my colleague a day, and that due to having enough cover next week, they want me to not come in next Saturday and come in on some other day that suits them. This seems unreasonable to me, and I don't see the point in going to the trouble of agreeing things in writing if people are going to not honour what has been agreed.

I'd appreciate some thoughts and advice on this. Surely the simplest system is to agree swaps in writing and then the new dates are set in stone and to be honoured by all. My colleague was in a vehicle accident which is surely just one of those things and they would have to cover his sickness period regardless.

Kind regards
Greg
Last edited by TrueBlueTerrier on 13 Jul 2018, 13:24, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Attachment deleted as per posts- Data Protection

Day swap issue

12 Jul 2018, 21:26

gregfrain wrote:
IMG_20180711_143203.jpg

Hi forum

I agreed to swap a day with a colleague - see attachment. He was supposed to be working this Saturday for me, and I was supposed to be working next Saturday for him. That colleague went off sick a couple of weeks ago but last week said he would still be coming in this Saturday, and only confirmed today that he won't be coming in on Saturday after all. As I see it, having agreed the swap in writing with the two of us AND a manager, the office needs to cover his sickness absence on Saturday they same as they would ordinarily, and I should come in next Saturday as agreed and that should be that.

However, although management have said they'll cover Saturday, they are claiming that I will then owe them a day instead of owing my colleague a day, and that due to having enough cover next week, they want me to not come in next Saturday and come in on some other day that suits them. This seems unreasonable to me, and I don't see the point in going to the trouble of agreeing things in writing if people are going to not honour what has been agreed.

I'd appreciate some thoughts and advice on this. Surely the simplest system is to agree swaps in writing and then the new dates are set in stone and to be honoured by all. My colleague was in a vehicle accident which is surely just one of those things and they would have to cover his sickness period regardless.

Kind regards
Greg

Not sure about the 'legalities' of this but some reserves/colleagues would look at two consecutive Saturdays off as all their Xmas's coming at once.....

Personally I wouldn't have posted this apparently under my own name and with my name to be clearly visible on the picture.....from
the circumstances you've described and if it is your real name your colleague who has suffered an accident could easily be identified
within the office - data protection breach? World of pain?

Day swap issue

13 Jul 2018, 08:26

yellowbelly wrote:

Not sure about the 'legalities' of this but some reserves/colleagues would look at two consecutive Saturdays off as all their Xmas's coming at once.....

Personally I wouldn't have posted this apparently under my own name and with my name to be clearly visible on the picture.....from
the circumstances you've described and if it is your real name your colleague who has suffered an accident could easily be identified
within the office - data protection breach? World of pain?

100%. Plus part of the other guys' signatures have not been redacted. Would remove pronto as very dodgy to post this.

Day swap issue

13 Jul 2018, 09:22

I haven't seen this paper method of doing this before. We agree it with the DOM then it gets changed on the computer and on the walk sheets on the noticeboard. I agree it appears you have had a good result with two Saturdays off in a row so in this case there isn't too much to complain about. If it meant you couldn't have today off then I could see it would be bad news though. Swapping days off often can cause problems though so this situation is not surprising. I would delete the picture of the paperwork for obvious reasons.

Day swap issue

13 Jul 2018, 15:21

The other day someone in our office was desperate for a day off so he swapped with another person and agreed with manager, he had his day off but when it come to paying it back to the postie who covered his duty the manager said he can’t have it as he wants him to work his day off which he did no consideration to the postie who helped him have his day, I told him don’t ever ask me if this is how you act.

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1