not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

Any actual current Ill Health Retirement documentation out there?

10 Jul 2018, 11:38

Hi, does anyone have any links to current & official guidance on ill health retirement, particularly on how (or indeed, if) a lump sum payment would be calculated in the event of IHR?

I have had some answers on here before as to how it works but I've also had people tell me that the old 39 weeks basic pay is not used anymore and that this benefit has been very much curtailed in its new form - I'm not sure if this was true or misinformation.

A document I believe may have relevant info is: 'Managing Employees with Long Term Ill Health agreement' - this was referenced on page 8 of the 'New Attendance Agreement' but I cant find it online or on the forums.

The DOM can't/won't tell me what I would be offered as an IHR lump sum, union rep said ' I don't know but it's not much you might as well come back' - area rep was equally unhelpful. I'm at a crossroads between taking IHR and staying and continuing to work on getting better, but they can't (or won't) give me the facts I need to make an informed decision, all this vagueness it's doing is adding stress to the process.

Although I would like to see something in writing, a call with HR may be more constructive in finding definitive answer, I called the DOM today and had to demand he puts me in touch with HR, which he is supposedly arranging tomorrow. But if anyone can link to relevant info in the meantime, or let me kow who I can contact for a factual answer, I'd be extremely grateful.

Thank you.

10 Jul 2018, 12:39

No wonder there's confusion, nothing is really clear. I've been reading for hours today and this is the best I can explain whats going on.

When RM was looking to change its policies last year and there was the threat of strike action they where basically looking to save money. The union had a battle with the (Four Pillars of Security campaign). During negotiation it seems that RM were keen to chop IVR and IHR, and remove "augmentations" from those payments, that term does not seem to be defined anywhere I've looked.
I've still no idea what was finally agreed upon but I believe these 'augmented' payments may be 'phased out' from April 2018. As someone whose illness has been ongoing since November 17 I'm not sure how this will effect me.

So I guess the problem I have is that the people I need to reach out to for advice are largely unaware of what was decided at the table and how it will roll out going forward.

If I find out anything else I'll update, unless someone in the know comes along first. :thumbup

10 Jul 2018, 12:57

Ithink it's 34 week's pay and pilon , well it was a month ago.

11 Jul 2018, 15:45

I took Ill health retirement in the middle of April this year
the only change was the tax and nic is now payable on the pillion part of the payment

It is the ill health with full pension that has seen the new changes

12 Jul 2018, 09:40

Any union guys here? I'm really lost. :confused

I don't know what to do, IHR is on the table, but neither my union rep, area rep or the DOM will give me a figure. They are just trying to force me back with total disregard for my health issues. I know you guys have been helpful letting my know your figures but I need to be given this figure direct from the company officially before I can make a decision.

They are basically giving me 2 choices: Option 1 take IHR and receive a mystery figure. Option 2, return to work and probably have continued absences until I get better/get fired. They are trying to keep me in the dark in order to manipulate me into doing what they want and its really starting to get to me.

They are becoming quite adversarial because I stated I want all the information before making a decision, I feel that was a very reasonable request. Is this normal, for IHR to be offered but no actual figure guaranteed? It's becoming incredibly stressful, and if I'm honest it's really exacerbating my current mental health issues and my progress toward getting better - I have told them this but they don't care, they seem to think my mental health problems don't exist because "I look OK", I'm not one to throw the word around lightly but its beginning to feel like discrimination.

Also does anyone have number for HR, may manager refused to give it to me. :roll:

12 Jul 2018, 13:31

HR number on your payslip 0345 606003, Good Luck.

12 Jul 2018, 16:29

The IHR package has not been effected which as a rough guide would be 34 weeks X basic wage + 12 weeks max. on length of service PILLON ( payment in lieu of notice ) + outstanding leave.
IHR with immediate pension payment has been withdrawn after latest agreement.
Your manager is being obstinate by not disclosing to you your lump sum figure on accepting IHR as the amount is easily obtainable and common sense would tell you that you do not place your signature to any document until you have this information.
Your line manager would not have the authority to grant IHR without consulting with a manger of a higher grade and it is to him or her I would write for your IHR figure.

12 Jul 2018, 17:02

Please remember we have a downloads forum where we have most of our agreements and various downloads.
This is the doc you need...
https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... 36&t=36293

02 Aug 2018, 18:13

Maybe a dumb question but do you pay tax on the lump sum or pillion bit?

02 Aug 2018, 19:49

You pay tax on pilon , not the lump sum.

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1