not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

Cars on deilvery

11 May 2018, 06:04

Need confirmation of this. Can postman load RM vehicle with delivery bags .get dropped off at nearby car park ,get in own vehicle and drive to delivery starting point .when finished delivery then uses own vehicle to either return to office or go home if working to time. His manager ok this thoughts

Cars on deilvery

11 May 2018, 09:08

I would consider the following as it sounds like a voluntary thing to get home quicker after duty completion and the manager ok's it as long
as it all goes well but would rapidly cover own arse if it went pear shaped:

Wouldn't think mileage allowance would be allowed - and that's the clincher - because it's not an official journey (as RM van is available).

What would posties own insurance company point of view be if he had accident in own car on way to the first DP and injured someone/himself?
(Even if he's got business insurance, he's not commuting to his place of work, he's going out on the delivery duty even though he's not got any mail).

If he had accident in his own car on the way would DOM/RM have any sympathy in the hassle of being late on the duty, getting it all sorted,
if he was injured implications for sick pay, time off, compo etc., if he injured someone else - I don't think so.....

Let RM, their wagon and insurance take the risk in my opinion.....

Cars on deilvery

11 May 2018, 10:40

To use your car for any work related purposes you need valid business insurance, for business insurance to be valid you need the express (written) permission of your employer.A delivery office manager is not your employer.Royal Mail policy is that the use of private vehicles on delivery is prohibited.

Cars on deilvery

11 May 2018, 15:00

hans solo wrote: His manager ok this thoughts

The trouble with RM managers is they are mostly dickheads with little or no interest in employment law, or in this case ----the law.
When our revision went in we had a visit from the Area manager who plainly stated anyone continuing to use their car would be sacked, and any manager condoning the use of a PCOD would be sacked.
It was clear, unequivocal. I liked it. In some ways I miss Nanny.

So here is a thought for your colleague - if he has an accident and kills someone, he is going to jail.

Cars on deilvery

11 May 2018, 15:24

I thought cars on delivery was banned years ago, for a start you will need business insurance which I bet nobody has. It's up to management to supply you with a van. Don't use your car under any circumstances is my advice.

Cars on deilvery

11 May 2018, 17:39

No.

Cars on deilvery

11 May 2018, 18:33

Still goes on. Manager/Union Rep knows.

Cars on deilvery

11 May 2018, 22:31

:chuckle :chuckle

Cars on deilvery

11 May 2018, 22:43

hans solo wrote:Need confirmation of this. Can postman load RM vehicle with delivery bags .get dropped off at nearby car park ,get in own vehicle and drive to delivery starting point .when finished delivery then uses own vehicle to either return to office or go home if working to time. His manager ok this thoughts

We have a couple of people who regularly do this, but they never return to the office if they finish early, they simply go straight home. The management rather helpfully pair them on shared vans with people who, for whatever bizarre reasons, are prepared to travel back to the office on their own and do the unloading/put returned items away/do kill-offs etc.

Cars on deilvery

12 May 2018, 06:21

Ozzvaldo wrote:
hans solo wrote:Need confirmation of this. Can postman load RM vehicle with delivery bags .get dropped off at nearby car park ,get in own vehicle and drive to delivery starting point .when finished delivery then uses own vehicle to either return to office or go home if working to time. His manager ok this thoughts

We have a couple of people who regularly do this, but they never return to the office if they finish early, they simply go straight home. The management rather helpfully pair them on shared vans with people who, for whatever bizarre reasons, are prepared to travel back to the office on their own and do the unloading/put returned items away/do kill-offs etc.

I am always doing this,my partner gets dropped off were he lives and i travel back to office and unload van.It is not exactly hard work ..

Cars on deilvery

12 May 2018, 08:34

2pints wrote:
Ozzvaldo wrote:

I am always doing this,my partner gets dropped off were he lives and i travel back to office and unload van.It is not exactly hard work ..

I never said it was. My point was intended to be about the legal position (from an insurance standpoint) of using a private car at work and the complicity of managers and colleagues with this. I'm sorry if I didn't make that clear. but I also wanted to flag up that those doing this in my office are simply using this as a way to get an earlier finish. It is a fairly regular occurrence in my understaffed office for the person returning on their own (if before their finishing time) to be sent back out with more work while their partner is settling down in front of the TV with a cuppa and biccies. I know that circumstances differ from office to office, so this may not be your experience.

Cars on deilvery

12 May 2018, 16:40

2pints wrote:
Ozzvaldo wrote:

True, it's not like we're digging holes or down a mine but it still pisses me off when it's happened to me. How is it fair that I drop another postie off near his home, drive ten minutes back to the depot and then spend another ten minutes pouching off and signing specials or redeliveries back into the cage. That's twenty minutes I've been doing the work of two people while they're sat on their arse on the sofa moaning to the missus what a hard day they've had. If I work with that postie for a week that's over an hour and a half more I've worked than them, yet they're being paid the same?

How is that okay or acceptable? What's the point of having signing in sheets if it doesn't matter that half a dozen posties don't sign out every day?

Cars on deilvery

13 May 2018, 21:43

Signing on sheets are a complete joke most can't be bothered I bet it's the same in your office. When I work shared vans we both come back to the office , why should your partner finish earlier than you.

Cars on deilvery

14 May 2018, 09:56

Two issues here as I see it. Carrying mail in your own vehicle could be construed as theft and in conflict of safeguarding the mail. 2. Having the wrong insurance for your vehicle makes your insurance invalid and technically uninsured.

Cars on deilvery

14 May 2018, 17:04

If your carrying mail in your car surely it will be classed as business insurance.

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 2   1, 2