ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

Bumped off my duty so it could be done on overtime by someone else.

07 Feb 2018, 17:53

A new one to me this.I turned up to do my Permanent part time duty(I am not a floater or reserve) to find that it was all taken out already by other staff on overtime(at about 0830) my regular partner is out sick but I am the driver, and have had various people covering the passenger job, with no problem. I asked the boss what was going on, and they said that I had to go and drive on another duty that I have never done before. He did not give a satisfactory answer as to why this had happened just saying something about not enough drivers but that made no sense because he replaced me with a driver. I was under the impression that they cannot do this, if you have a fixed duty. The person who stole my duty, is a known runner, and I know they would not have wanted to do the duty they shoved onto me, because its too long. it seems they decided to give him my job to get him to do the overtime(actually working their day off) Another point is that the job I do is a 1in 9 whereas the one they put me onto is a 9 day fortnight, and that is therefore a longer duty than mine. Needless to say I did not complete the job they gave me whereas I would have completed my duty.
Frankly this has left me fuming, I cant believe they allowed somebody to take my duty for their personal wish and whim.
My question is, can they chop and change your duty as they like or is there some boundaries as I had thought? do you thing that its worth putting in a grievance if only so it does not happen again?

07 Feb 2018, 18:19

We all work "as required".
Your colleague is a rather selfish individual.

07 Feb 2018, 19:14

Flashman_ wrote:A new one to me this.I turned up to do my Permanent part time duty(I am not a floater or reserve) to find that it was all taken out already by other staff on overtime(at about 0830) my regular partner is out sick but I am the driver, and have had various people covering the passenger job, with no problem. I asked the boss what was going on, and they said that I had to go and drive on another duty that I have never done before. He did not give a satisfactory answer as to why this had happened just saying something about not enough drivers but that made no sense because he replaced me with a driver. I was under the impression that they cannot do this, if you have a fixed duty. The person who stole my duty, is a known runner, and I know they would not have wanted to do the duty they shoved onto me, because its too long. it seems they decided to give him my job to get him to do the overtime(actually working their day off) Another point is that the job I do is a 1in 9 whereas the one they put me onto is a 9 day fortnight, and that is therefore a longer duty than mine. Needless to say I did not complete the job they gave me whereas I would have completed my duty.
Frankly this has left me fuming, I cant believe they allowed somebody to take my duty for their personal wish and whim.
My question is, can they chop and change your duty as they like or is there some boundaries as I had thought? do you thing that its worth putting in a grievance if only so it does not happen again?

If your the duty holder then it is your right not the brown nose who replaced you to do your duty the guy who is off sick they should find a suitable replacement to work with you not the other way round!

07 Feb 2018, 19:25

Bit harsh but if I was doing my ghost of course you're gonna take the easy duty out,otherwise it wouldn't get done.That's life I'm afraid and the managers know it

07 Feb 2018, 20:50

k979aaa wrote:
Flashman_ wrote:A new one to me this.I turned up to do my Permanent part time duty(I am not a floater or reserve) to find that it was all taken out already by other staff on overtime(at about 0830) my regular partner is out sick but I am the driver, and have had various people covering the passenger job, with no problem. I asked the boss what was going on, and they said that I had to go and drive on another duty that I have never done before. He did not give a satisfactory answer as to why this had happened just saying something about not enough drivers but that made no sense because he replaced me with a driver. I was under the impression that they cannot do this, if you have a fixed duty. The person who stole my duty, is a known runner, and I know they would not have wanted to do the duty they shoved onto me, because its too long. it seems they decided to give him my job to get him to do the overtime(actually working their day off) Another point is that the job I do is a 1in 9 whereas the one they put me onto is a 9 day fortnight, and that is therefore a longer duty than mine. Needless to say I did not complete the job they gave me whereas I would have completed my duty.

If your the duty holder then it is your right not the brown nose who replaced you to do your duty the guy who is off sick they should find a suitable replacement to work with you not the other way round!

No it's not your right unfortunately! :hmmmm

07 Feb 2018, 21:40

They can move You yes.
To prevent is happening in future some people like to follow the cut off procedure

07 Feb 2018, 22:39

Have a word with the rep as it's bollox, have a word as well with the little scrote who bumped you as well!
It's a massive piss take.

08 Feb 2018, 12:49

Normally you should have 24 hr notice of change but they have a get out clause in as required or operational needs u can’t fight it even tho it’s a real piss take

08 Feb 2018, 17:52

they will probably come out with ''operational needs'' crap to cover their arses.

08 Feb 2018, 22:38

It happens to me all the time. Only difference is, I don't do anything I'm not trained for.

I don't understand how you can do a duty you haven't been trained on.

09 Feb 2018, 15:16

NewPostieUK wrote:It happens to me all the time. Only difference is, I don't do anything I'm not trained for.

I don't understand how you can do a duty you haven't been trained on.

Run of the mill duties you will not get trained on.You're a postie, doing a postie job in another part of your postcode.
Rurals' are a different matter.

09 Feb 2018, 22:07

Thanks guys for the responses. I was aware that they could move you for operational problems. Thing is though, my "colleague" and the boss gerrymandered the situation to suit them. I have not seen the guy who nicked my job, because as I said he`s a runner and is finished long before I get back and gone even before I get in. He did boast to my now returned from sick FT partner, that he finished really early that day! Its just as well I did not see him, as I would be using some choice words to say the least!

11 Feb 2018, 19:49

I would take the mail out on the duty I have been stuffed with and cut off so much mail, claiming I didn’t know where I was going, unfamiliar drops etc. Until the manager gets the point it’s more trouble than it’s worth moving me about. You should give it to the little twat who jumped on your duty too.

15 Feb 2018, 22:56

Had it happen to me yet I was sent to another office. Really pathetic behaviour, seems really prevalent in royal mail, a culture of I'm alright Jack.

16 Feb 2018, 07:37

norm wrote:Had it happen to me yet I was sent to another office. Really pathetic behaviour, seems really prevalent in royal mail, a culture of I'm alright Jack.

Did they provide transport? Were You back at your usual office for your finish time?

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1