not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE


Bagging a Full Time contract

12 Jan 2018, 21:57

To bag a FT contract, do I have to exceed FT hrs every week for six months, or is it enough to work more hrs over the course of a year?
Last edited by Gummage on 12 Feb 2018, 21:10, edited 2 times in total.

Bagging a Full Time contract

12 Jan 2018, 23:10

Do you have to work more hours in order to get a full time contract? The answer to that is no, quite the opposite.
If part timers worked part time hours and refused overtime the business would have no choice than to advertise more full time duties.

Doing a certain amount of hours over 6 months doesn’t get you a higher contract. It should however be used by your rep to pressure management into advertising full time vacancies, which will be filled by the way forward agreement IE using seniority

Bagging a Full Time contract

13 Jan 2018, 02:27

Gummage wrote:To bag a FT contract, do I have to exceed FT hrs every week for six months, or is it enough to work more hrs over the course of a year?


To get a full time contract you simply have to wait your turn. It's based on seniority (there are of course certain exceptions) and has nothing to do with the amount of overtime you do.

The more overtime worked, the less reason the manager has to upgrade contracts.

Bagging a Full Time contract

13 Jan 2018, 15:09

Pt - Ft aligns to TM1, So if vacancy exists then
Senior pt gets the chance of uplift
Nothing more to it, nothing less.

Unless you want to challenge the TM1 ratio :hmmmm

Bagging a Full Time contract

13 Jan 2018, 18:34

Creditshampoo wrote:If part timers worked part time hours and refused overtime the business would have no choice than to advertise more full time duties.


You do make a very good point. On the other hand: I live in London, have a family to support, and it's pretty s**t paying out nearly half your PT Basic on food each week. Have you seen the cost of living in London? No m8, I want £41k a year.

But why, some say, £41k a year? Why choose this as my goal? And they may well ask, why climb the highest mountain? Why, 90 years ago, fly the Atlantic? Why does Rice play Texas?

I choose to earn £41k a year! ...I choose to earn £41k a year in this year and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard; because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of my energies and skills, because that challenge is one that I am willing to accept, one I am unwilling to postpone, and one I intend to win ...

Bagging a Full Time contract

13 Jan 2018, 19:44

Gummage wrote:
Creditshampoo wrote:If part timers worked part time hours and refused overtime the business would have no choice than to advertise more full time duties.


You do make a very good point. On the other hand: I live in London, have a family to support, and it's pretty s**t paying out nearly half your PT Basic on food each week. Have you seen the cost of living in London? No m8, I want £41k a year.

But why, some say, £41k a year? Why choose this as my goal? And they may well ask, why climb the highest mountain? Why, 90 years ago, fly the Atlantic? Why does Rice play Texas?

I choose to earn £41k a year! ...I choose to earn £41k a year in this year and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard; because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of my energies and skills, because that challenge is one that I am willing to accept, one I am unwilling to postpone, and one I intend to win ...


I understand how hard it is but only office started part timers working contract on wednesdays that’s really alll it took to get people made up

Bagging a Full Time contract

13 Jan 2018, 19:46

Gummage wrote:
Creditshampoo wrote:If part timers worked part time hours and refused overtime the business would have no choice than to advertise more full time duties.


You do make a very good point. On the other hand: I live in London, have a family to support, and it's pretty s**t paying out nearly half your PT Basic on food each week. Have you seen the cost of living in London? No m8, I want £41k a year.

But why, some say, £41k a year? Why choose this as my goal? And they may well ask, why climb the highest mountain? Why, 90 years ago, fly the Atlantic? Why does Rice play Texas?

I choose to earn £41k a year! ...I choose to earn £41k a year in this year and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard; because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of my energies and skills, because that challenge is one that I am willing to accept, one I am unwilling to postpone, and one I intend to win ...


Hope you haven't got an Elm Steet on your round!!!

Bagging a Full Time contract

13 Jan 2018, 20:26

The decision whether you warrent a full time job is not solely based on how many hours you have worked but based on what work you have done in working those hours.

So for example if you have been covering absence ie any duty where someone is sick or on annual leave than this will not result in you or the most senior part time getting an increase in contract. Why ? Because those on sick leave or annual leave will come back and you than won’t need to work those hours.

However if you work those hours because your part time walk is not thrown up when you arrive or you cannot finish on time , or if your a rest day cover and you cover full time duties or if your a reserve but cover full time duties or if your manager request you complete IPS or double prep each day than that will warrant an upgrade in contracted hours up to full time.

Bagging a Full Time contract

13 Jan 2018, 20:40

yellowbelly wrote:
Hope you haven't got an Elm Steet on your round!!!


No m8, I ain't encountered Elm Street yet, a few nightmares thou.

At the risk of identifying myself, I touched on 4 walks today and that's not the first time this week. I complete 3 on one day this week :thumbup . But no Elm Street that I can remember, not that I can even remember yesterday.

Bagging a Full Time contract

13 Jan 2018, 21:07

On the other hand, being PT means never having to do s**t like IPS or double prep :nana

Bagging a Full Time contract

14 Jan 2018, 09:37

Gummage wrote:
yellowbelly wrote:
Hope you haven't got an Elm Steet on your round!!!


No m8, I ain't encountered Elm Street yet, a few nightmares thou.

At the risk of identifying myself, I touched on 4 walks today and that's not the first time this week. I complete 3 on one day this week :thumbup . But no Elm Street that I can remember, not that I can even remember yesterday.


Our walks take at least 4 hours on a quiet Tuesday, I've had enough after doing 1 never mind 3 of them !

Bagging a Full Time contract

14 Jan 2018, 20:29

Dingo is the only one in the right here and its not just based on senority

Bagging a Full Time contract

15 Jan 2018, 18:43

bigal383 wrote:Dingo is the only one in the right here and its not just based on senority


He is giving the impression that the person working the overtime is the person getting made up to full time. This isn't the case.

He is describing different types of overtime, some will (or should) result in hours being put into the office, some won't (sickness cover tec).

Once it has been shown that the office needs hours putting in, and if it makes sense to make up some part timers, then those part timers with the most seniority should be made up even if it wasn't them that has been working overtime.

Bagging a Full Time contract

15 Jan 2018, 20:05

NewPostieUK wrote:
bigal383 wrote:Dingo is the only one in the right here and its not just based on senority


He is giving the impression that the person working the overtime is the person getting made up to full time. This isn't the case.

He is describing different types of overtime, some will (or should) result in hours being put into the office, some won't (sickness cover tec).

Once it has been shown that the office needs hours putting in, and if it makes sense to make up some part timers, then those part timers with the most seniority should be made up even if it wasn't them that has been working overtime.


Exactly said, in a DO there's basically two types of overtime.

1 IPS or prepping shared walks, this is what a full timer would do if there was enough of them.

2. Delivering a walk on overtime, this is because there's not enough staff due to holidays/sickness/vacancies.

Number 2 is of no interest to me as I'm getting on a bit now and I can't do it, however there's plenty that do that are less senior to me.

A full time opportunity will only arise due to number 1 and if it did then I'd jump at it so even though someone may double their wage a week in overtime doesn't make them any more eligible for a full time job than someone who never works over.

Bagging a Full Time contract

17 Jan 2018, 17:33

Gummage wrote:On the other hand, being PT means never having to do s**t like IPS or double prep :nana


Yep, every cloud and all that. The atmosphere most mornings in our DO makes me quite glad I am only part time. The thought of having to suffer three hours of that before going out on delivery chills me sometimes. Half an hour tying up is bad enough :crazy:

Previous page Next page


Page 1 of 2   1, 2