ANNOUNCEMENT : ROYAL MAIL EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

Advice about breaks.

12 Oct 2017, 17:05

After having a spat with the manager today about flexing(or lack of from myself)i need some advice about taking my break.We are on a park and loop,when we get roughly half way round we take a 20 minute break which involves driving back to the office.Now the manager has said that the break starts immediately from the time we set off,the office is only maybe a two and a half minute drive to get to,so if its two and a half minutes both ways does this mean we only get to take a 15 minute break back at the office or is that not counted and we can take the full 20 minutes?Cheers.

Advice about breaks.

12 Oct 2017, 17:15

You're driving the van, so you're not on break. A break is a period of un-interupted rest, which you are not getting when the van is in motion.

Advice about breaks.

12 Oct 2017, 17:23

Southern_Postie wrote:After having a spat with the manager today about flexing(or lack of from myself)i need some advice about taking my break.We are on a park and loop,when we get roughly half way round we take a 20 minute break which involves driving back to the office.Now the manager has said that the break starts immediately from the time we set off,the office is only maybe a two and a half minute drive to get to,so if its two and a half minutes both ways does this mean we only get to take a 15 minute break back at the office or is that not counted and we can take the full 20 minutes?Cheers.
Just take it before you go out let the bastard sweat and tell him I am cutting off see you at xx xx time and go home don't get into a debate with him get your rep in the morning I am sure he will not be doing it again.

Advice about breaks.

12 Oct 2017, 17:40

Usually need the toilet about half way round plus it infuriates the Manager going back to the office.

Advice about breaks.

12 Oct 2017, 17:47

Southern_Postie wrote:Usually need the toilet about half way round plus it infuriates the Manager going back to the office.

Very valid points if there is no toilet facility's out on the walk then he has no leg to stand on but you cannot be on a meal relief when driving it is also illegal as you must have a break after 5 hours of work when driving is involved and you cannot have a break whilst doing the activity.

Advice about breaks.

13 Oct 2017, 21:38

So after telling the Manager that driving to and from work does not count towards my break i'm told 'I'm Wrong!',and then uses this example as to why...A rural round postie is 20 minutes away from the depot and 'decides' to come back for their break,so he/she has a 20 minute drive to the office,a 20 minute break then a 20 minute drive back to where he/she was,thus totalling a ONE hour break,argument ensues with me saying i wasn't interested in what a rural postie would do as that's nothing to do with me.

Manager says that he has talked to his boss and tried to get in touch with the union,we don't have a union rep in the office so its the area rep who deals with any issues,i leave the office and ring the area rep and tell him what's happened,he claims he's never come across anything like this before and can't give me an answer,apparently any posties who do bother to take their break do it whilst out on delivery.Once again i explain that its a residential area with no toilets so need to go back to the office,the conversation ended with he's 'looking into it'.

Can someone give me a definitive answer???

Advice about breaks.

14 Oct 2017, 08:23

You can't decide when and how to take your break.
It should all have been decided as part of the revision process.

The toilet facilities for that duty should also have been noted in your log book.
If there aren't any then a return to the office should have been put down as the only viable option.
That would then be part of the duty structure.

So what is in the log book?

Advice about breaks.

14 Oct 2017, 15:25

Southern_Postie wrote:So after telling the Manager that driving to and from work does not count towards my break i'm told 'I'm Wrong!',and then uses this example as to why...A rural round postie is 20 minutes away from the depot and 'decides' to come back for their break,so he/she has a 20 minute drive to the office,a 20 minute break then a 20 minute drive back to where he/she was,thus totalling a ONE hour break,argument ensues with me saying i wasn't interested in what a rural postie would do as that's nothing to do with me.

Manager says that he has talked to his boss and tried to get in touch with the union,we don't have a union rep in the office so its the area rep who deals with any issues,i leave the office and ring the area rep and tell him what's happened,he claims he's never come across anything like this before and can't give me an answer,apparently any posties who do bother to take their break do it whilst out on delivery.Once again i explain that its a residential area with no toilets so need to go back to the office,the conversation ended with he's 'looking into it'.

Can someone give me a definitive answer???

Keep chipping away. As stated, when you're driving the van or handling Royal Mail property, you're not on break. A break is rest. Simple.

Advice about breaks.

14 Oct 2017, 19:02

Their argument is totally flawed because every one of those rural drivers is required to have an identified toilet facility on their route. If they don't then they are entitled to return to office - in company time - to use those facilities.

Them saying that rural drivers don't return to office because they can just wee in a hedge... well, just get that in writing please!

Advice about breaks.

14 Oct 2017, 19:31

wannabeek wrote:Their argument is totally flawed because every one of those rural drivers is required to have an identified toilet facility on their route. If they don't then they are entitled to return to office - in company time - to use those facilities.

Them saying that rural drivers don't return to office because they can just wee in a hedge... well, just get that in writing please!

A guy got sacked because he pissed in a hedge in our place all the goldfish in the pond died behind it. How is a meal relief taken in a van miles from anywhere I am with the OP on this one in fact we should all do it just because some guy who did the planing in 2005/2010 says toilets are here does not mean they are still there now nearly 80% of public conveniences have closed in the last ten years fact!

Advice about breaks.

14 Oct 2017, 20:04

Wow. That's a potent wee. I was agreeing with the OP by the way, maybe I didn't make it clear. Management are clearly wrong here - if there isn't a current available toilet break facility listed then it needs to be updated. If that means a return to office then that's in company time, not in break time.

Advice about breaks.

14 Oct 2017, 20:40

The lunatic that brought the Park and Loop in at ours swore blind toilet arrangements would be sorted once we were up and running. Guess what?...Never were.

Advice about breaks.

14 Oct 2017, 20:47

wannabeek wrote:Wow. That's a potent wee. I was agreeing with the OP by the way, maybe I didn't make it clear. Management are clearly wrong here - if there isn't a current available toilet break facility listed then it needs to be updated. If that means a return to office then that's in company time, not in break time.

Of that there is no doubt but how can you or anyone have a meal relief in a van the police would question that be you in an accident and win and if any managers say you can the are taking the piss. This whole thread has deep implications for everyone of us all be it town or city or rural or any area this is why we need new parameters on the new systems of work in the coming agreement!

Advice about breaks.

14 Oct 2017, 20:49

BarnsleyLackey wrote:The lunatic that brought the Park and Loop in at ours swore blind toilet arrangements would be sorted once we were up and running. Guess what?...Never were.

Return to office then if you feel the need.

Advice about breaks.

15 Oct 2017, 08:01

you can argue that due to h&s you cannot start your break until you have chance wash your hands, take your break sat in van and get a bug and be off for 2 days!
whilst driving a rm van you are working no matter where you're going,
he's just being an awkward git because you are doing something that sounds quite rightly to do but not many others do,
you need to get in touch with a union rep higher up to clarify it and get it in black and white

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 2   1, 2