ANNOUNCEMENT : ROYAL MAIL EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : CHRISTMAS & NEW YEAR ARRANGEMENTS 2017/18 INCLUDING PAY ARRANGEMENTS... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : SEVERE WEATHER THREADS : UPDATED 2017... HERE

new starters asked to document hours

11 Oct 2017, 19:20

about 4 or 5 of the new starters in our office have been asked to mark down when they start and when they finish whereas the rest of the office work as normal.the problem lies in the fact part timers are being asked to do full time jobs and if they finish half an hour earlier than there finish time the full timer gets paid for full day while the part timer gets half hour less.
now i know people will say work your hours but putting that argument to one side if this fair or even aloud.

11 Oct 2017, 19:47

Our whole office has been asked to do this for quite sometime now apparently it's something we should have all been doing for years. Up to you if you want to push it but you may find that all management do to make it fair is make you all sign in and out, not just the part timers! :roll:

11 Oct 2017, 20:32

Simple, they return to office and stay there until their contracted hours are complete. It is up to the DOM/Line Manager to provide work for them, but if they stay at work there is no way that they can have hours deducted.

12 Oct 2017, 09:30

It's not that simple, re read the post again, management are asking part timers for finishing times so they don't have to pay them, full timers will get paid in full regardless.

12 Oct 2017, 13:44

Like Full Timers, Part Timers also have a contract of employment which states their hours of work. If they finish before those hours and return to the office, it is up to RM to provide them with work up to their designated finish time. If RM allow them to go home before their finish time then they cannot deduct unworked hours. If the Part Timer decides to go home before he/she has completed their contracted hours then of course RM are entitled to deduct hours. That is why I am saying that if they want to be paid in full then they must return to the office and be prepared to do work that is given to them by the DOM/LM up to their finish time. If no work is forthcoming then that is up to RM but they cannot lawfully deduct pay when the workers have made themselves available for work.

12 Oct 2017, 13:55

I think the problem is part timers covering full time jobs on overtime and only being paid for the hours they work whereas a full timer will be paid for the whole shift even if they don't work it.

If you are on a full time contract then it is up to the managers to fill your contracted hours.
If you are working overtime then you should only be paid for the hours you work. (Full timers and part timers)

I realise this will be a massive cultural change for everybody but I think it is what is meant by utilizing all paid hours.

12 Oct 2017, 14:14

Then surely Royal Mail should be putting the extra work on to the full timers if they are finishing early and not creating overtime for part time workers if there are contracted hours still available within the full time staff.

12 Oct 2017, 14:24

Lincox wrote:Then surely Royal Mail should be putting the extra work on to the full timers if they are finishing early and not creating overtime for part time workers if there are contracted hours still available within the full time staff.

Yes they should but given that most aren't competent to run a bath it isn't surprising they can't run a DO.

15 Oct 2017, 07:18

postman8 wrote:about 4 or 5 of the new starters in our office have been asked to mark down when they start and when they finish whereas the rest of the office work as normal.the problem lies in the fact part timers are being asked to do full time jobs and if they finish half an hour earlier than there finish time the full timer gets paid for full day while the part timer gets half hour less.
now i know people will say work your hours but putting that argument to one side if this fair or even aloud.

trying to make sense of this
are the pt starting earlier then end up finishing earlier and then getting paid to the actual time they leave, and still getting paid their contracted hours plus a bit of overtime?
then the ft get paid their usual hours even if done 30 mins?
if so, why is the pt'er coming in earlier when obviously not needed?

22 Oct 2017, 13:00

Part timers, including myself, cannot expect to be paid for sitting at home just because full timers do. If a duty is too easy for a full timer, the manager needs to sort the problem.

I've had many conversations with managers asking why he is paying my overtime when full timers are sitting at home. I regularly deliver to postmen who are home then have to claim overtime when I get back.

I don't know what the problem is with 'documenting hours'. For 10 years I have written down my start time, time I leave the office, time I get back and time I finish. If I finish at 3:00 I don't expect to be paid til 3:30, regardless of who normally does the duty, what time he finishes and what his contracted hours are.

22 Oct 2017, 14:25

I don't like it when I share a van with a part timer and I get the full 7:48 and they do their 5 hours and book 2 excess when doing exactly the same job as me. Unfortunately there is little argument against it. The only time I do protest is when it is the part timers day off, then it depends on the duty and they should get exactly what I would expect.

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1