ANNOUNCEMENT : ROYAL MAIL EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

duty

08 Aug 2017, 19:22

hi , just a quick question . Signed for a duty years ago but never really been on it , always moved from pillar to post . what are the actual rules regarding a duty once you have signed for it ? i know , years ago , but i'm asking now . :arrrghhh

duty

09 Aug 2017, 18:11

what happens to "your" duty? they will always spout off about operational needs to cover any reason,
basically if they are replacing you with like for like put a grievance in, if it's a non driver/driver switch then ?
you do still get the duties rotating day off ?

duty

09 Aug 2017, 18:43

thats exactly what is said "operational needs" . I learned the duty with the previous holder before he retired and when there was a resign i got that duty but have never been on it since yet the previous duty holder was always on it .I still have the designated day off for that duty . It is always the same person that is on it the majority of the time as they dont/wont put this person anywhere else . Its been happening for years . I cant find anywhere exactly what being a duty holder is or your rights as a duty holder hence the reason for my question.

duty

09 Aug 2017, 19:25

bloot wrote:thats exactly what is said "operational needs" . I learned the duty with the previous holder before he retired and when there was a resign i got that duty but have never been on it since yet the previous duty holder was always on it .I still have the designated day off for that duty . It is always the same person that is on it the majority of the time as they dont/wont put this person anywhere else . Its been happening for years . I cant find anywhere exactly what being a duty holder is or your rights as a duty holder hence the reason for my question.

without knowing the ins and out of the situation it appears that they're either looking after him/her (is it a steady duty?) or that nobody wants to work with if on p&l
all i'd suggest is that you get your rep to ask manager why you cannot do your own duty, the rep won't be going against the other person, just demand a valid explanation,
if not happy, go above your rep to validate it, it certainly does happen where some reps will do deals for people that goes against other members rights, i speak from experience.
what's the other persons supposed duty?

duty

09 Aug 2017, 20:05

yes it's a steady duty , its a rural duty . ive read the grievance procedure and it says it can be done orally with line manager which has been the case for years , but its always the "operational needs" reply . the rep just gets the same response .
the other person has no fixed duty

duty

09 Aug 2017, 20:25

bloot wrote:yes it's a steady duty , its a rural duty . ive read the grievance procedure and it says it can be done orally with line manager which has been the case for years , but its always the "operational needs" reply . the rep just gets the same response .
the other person has no fixed duty

there's all sorts of reasons why you aren't on it, disability springs to mind now you said rural
who does it when they're on holiday? honestly, all you can do is get a rep, not necessarily your office rep to ask the questions otherwise you'll be fobbed off for ever.
put in a grievance/disagreement against the management if needed as to why the other person can't do other reserve duties like you are forced on to,
don't make it personal with whoever is on YOUR duty, there could be valid reasons which perhaps they want kept private

duty

09 Aug 2017, 20:35

I would never make it personal , disability isnt an issue . Its the only time im really on it when the other person is on holiday but at times I may get moved even then.
Are there any rules/agreements with regards to duty holders ?

duty

09 Aug 2017, 21:48

I made a call about this last year to my area rep. What I was told if I remember was. They can move you under operational needs from your set duty but cannot choose you every week to be moved as there are plenty of others in the workplace that can also be moved under operational needs it needs to be fair across the board.
Only time it doesn't count if you duty was agreed to be lapsed certain days or whatever other criteria they can come up with.
But you would have agreed this when you signed for the duty.

duty

11 Aug 2017, 08:05

many thanks for the input , it is very much appreciated

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1